NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
yea, anyone done this? i wanna get this done too!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I did it guys. It's very easy. Basically, what you do is take out the relay that clicks on when you turn the fog lights on (its the white one in the back). THere's two red wires coming into the back of that relay. What you need to do is cut off the wires (not close to the relay), then put them together, both of the red wires coming from the relay, and then attach them to a power source, like the fuse for your cig lighter. Then the wires that used to go to the relay, just tape em up and leave them (not together though). It would be safer to also add a Fuse between the wire coming from the cig lighter to the relay, just a normal 10amp fuse to protect your circuit.

Hope this helps, tell me if you need pics.. I love the mod. Took a while to understand the instructions on the site..

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It makes it so you dont have to have your headlights on to have your fog lights on. So say its dusk and you want to cruise around with just your fogs and parking lights on, well, after this mod... you can do it!!

Calsoldier, why do you have to run it to another power source? It really doesnt mention anything about that in the install section... not saying youre wrong, just wondering why...

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
You have to give the foglighs power right? Well if you cut off the wires that come into the relay stock, then you will need to replace then with those from a different source, a perfect one would be the cig lighter. What you're doing is cutting off the power that's coming from the car to the Relay which allows only power to come when ur headlights are on, and ur connecting your own power to the relay which alows the fogs to be on any time you want. Hopefully that helps.. and in the install, it says connect a fused wire, meaning a wire coming form a powersource with an inline fuse. Read better next time =). J/K, good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, that makes more sence... I didnt realize that you were actually cutting the power to them when you did this, I thought you might just be bypassing the automatic switch.... makes sence now. Thanks man!!!

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The power wire to the relay acts as a "signal". So stock configurarion has it hooked up to the low beam positive, which tells the relay to turn on the fogs only when the low beams are on (given the switch is on).

So with this mod, you are basically giving the relay a different signal source, such as your cigarette lighter. This turns on when you put your car to ACC, so if your fog light switch is on, they will turn on when u turn the key.

Other possible "signal" sources are: parking light - so the fogs turn on when u turn the light dial one click (but bad if you have an alarm that flashes the parking lights, unless you remember to turn the fog switch off before leaving your car). Or as the install says, the ignition, so they turn on when you start the car.

The reason for the relay having 2 red/white wires, I am guessing is because one is the low beam, the other is the high beam. If you havent noticed, when your fogs are on (and low beams on) and you hit the high beam, the fogs turn off to comply with DOT laws (only can have 2 pairs of lights on at any time). I think the high beam wire that goes into the relay tells the fogs to turn off. Im not sure though, im just guessing. So doing this mod would eliminate that?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I tried this a while ago and nobody helped me. Hopefully you guys will have better luck. My wires don't look like the instructions. I have an 02 GTS 6speed and i don't have 2 red with white wires. I found a 12volt signal that was running all the time with the ignition on, it was a thick black wire, and i messed with a bunch of other wire combinations and nothing worked. As a matter of fact, when i open my doors the cabin light doesn't come on anymore, but still works when i turn it to the on position. This is what i posted before and nobody helped me.

"To those of you who did this mod, or anybody who can help-
According to the instructions of the install section you need to cut into the two red with white wires that run into the same pin, on my relay (02 GTS) there are no two wires running into the same pin and only one red with white wire. I need to find the correct wires that i need to cut,
my relay looks like this--
clip facing upward
top left, white with black wire
top right, blue with white wire
bottom from left to right
white with black, red with white, grey, blue with red, blue with red

If anybody can look at there relay and tell me what pins the wires ran into that you modified.
I find it's hard to believe that nobody has run into this problem besides myself.
Thanks for you help!"

Goodluck and tell me how it goes!

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I just did it today and it works perfectly. I have an '01 GT, and my relay was just as the install guide and Calsoldier described it... works like a charm!

ToyoGTS, I would recomend doing just what the install guiude describes... but only hook the + fused wire from your cig. lighter to the one red with white wire. See how that works...

Anyways... works great, thanks for the help guys!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
According to the instructions of the install section you need to cut into the two red with white wires that run into the same pin, on my relay (02 GTS) there are no two wires running into the same pin and only one red with white wire. I need to find the correct wires that i need to cut,
my relay looks like this--
clip facing upward
top left, white with black wire
top right, blue with white wire
bottom from left to right
white with black, red with white, grey, blue with red, blue with red
ok, i got an idiot friend who tried to do the mod for me, claiming that he knew how to do it...and he clipped the wrong wires! He clipped the red with white and the red with blue.....so now my shift locks and i cant shift unless i push the shiftlock override button..umm...what do i do

·
Registered
90 Posts
damn....i just reconnected the wires back as they were...and it doesnt help. i disconnected the battery and reconnected...still no luck....do you think those wires have somethin to do with the brakes? or is the shiftlock have some association wit one of those wires? i would thinkg that since i reconnected the wires that were spliced back together, it should work....but it isnt

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
shanrock..that shift lock ish happened to me not too long ago..it just stopped acting up on me one day....pain in the azz though...having to pop that cap off and depress that button everytime you wanted to shift. shoulda got a manual :wtc:

·
Registered
475 Posts
ok, so after doing this mod, can you turn on the foglights without turning the car on? or that depends on what power source you hook it up to? what power source would make it do this?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts