NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent driven a rwd sports car before. I've been in them, but never driven it myself.

Can you really feel the difference between the fwd and the rwd in DAILY DRIVING? Or is the difference only noticeable when racing? Are the launches more smooth with rwd?

I've read a couple magazine articles saying that the celica doesnt remind you that it's a fwd car, so im just wondering if theres really any big difference between the two in regular, every day driving.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
i have never driven a rwd sports car either..kinda curious bout the same things....i do know that i love the feeling off an awd sports car though...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hepnotic said:
I havent driven a rwd sports car before. I've been in them, but never driven it myself.

Can you really feel the difference between the fwd and the rwd in DAILY DRIVING? Or is the difference only noticeable when racing? Are the launches more smooth with rwd?

I've read a couple magazine articles saying that the celica doesnt remind you that it's a fwd car, so im just wondering if theres really any big difference between the two in regular, every day driving.
In normal driving you won't notice any difference. You will start to notice a big difference once your driving becomes more spirited. RWD car do launch smoother than most FWD cars.

·
Registered
357 Posts
... i've driven a couple RWD sports coupes and handling is ridiculously scary. i would tremble in fear whenever i saw a puddle of water. it feels like you're floating around turns, whereas in the celica, you feel like you're one w/ them.:thumbup:

the better launchign is more due to the fact of weight transfer. when you launch, the weight is shifted backwards, so having a RWD car gives an advantage.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
the difference i felt from rwd to fwd, was mostly in racing the car. from a dead stop at a light, the power was put down better in the rwd car. taking corners was a little more fun in the rwd car, but could get scary at times. but for the celica, taking corners, for some reason its like the car is asking for more.:gap: this was going from a 300zx(z32) to the celica. both car have their strong points, just in different areas.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Fwd pulls

Rwd pushes

Oh...and RWd owns you.

I do notice a difference in my every day driving in my rwd cars compared to fwd....turning radius....it's larger :)

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Dude...if you're not ready for it...you won't be expecting it when you end up whipping around a corner.

I practically did a 180-degree turn when I launched my 7 one night (kinda damp).

I also habitually brought the end out around corners.

I suppose it depends on what type of RWD car you get..if it's kinda low powered, you won't notice a difference...but man..if you get something with a good HP to WT ratio...watch out..lol.

There's nothing like it though...it's pretty badazz. I can see why people prefer RWD. It's just fun. :thumbup:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Bi-Mon-Sci-Fi-Con
because RWD cars don't experience wheel hop.
You never drove a Z32, I take it...

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
ArchangelX said:
I suppose it depends on what type of RWD car you get..if it's kinda low powered, you won't notice a difference...but man..if you get something with a good HP to WT ratio...watch out..lol.
That's a bit contradictory, you can be "low-powered" but have a good "power-to-weight ratio."

RWD :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Well..most RWDs that have low power and are fat aren't going to have a good HP to weight ratio (that's what I meant)..if ya think about it, but ya I see your point. I was typing at work..hehehe..so I was kinda playing hide and go seek with the screen. :gap:

You guys should check out the Best Motoring video I posted that has the Type-R going against the Nissan Silvia turbo...that Type-R kept up just fine on Tsukuba.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Did you see the MR-S with the 2ZZ whoop the S15 both downhill and uphill? He also would've won the NA vs. Turbo battle if he didn't get cocky towards the end of the race.

I'm aiming for only 200 rwhp but realistically should get to only about 170 in the next month or so. It's a puny numbers by standards...but my car's rated weight is only 2195lbs. Other members who've went the weight reduction route are at the 2000lbs. mark already with a full interior and they still have more things to do.

·
Premium Member
5,032 Posts
Oh ya...completly forgot about the MR2s..and the Elises...my bad. I'm a dumbass.

The Elise is RWD, right? The MR2 is ridiculous...hehehe.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Dude...if you're not ready for it...you won't be expecting it
Jus drove my sisters 350Z... the first time ive ever driven a RWD and yesss i wasnt expecting it... u get knocked to the back of the seat!!! Great to launch with!!! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
ArchangelX said:
Oh ya...completly forgot about the MR2s..and the Elises...my bad. I'm a dumbass.

The Elise is RWD, right? The MR2 is ridiculous...hehehe.
Yep, the Elise is RWD.

Come summer time hopefully my friends FD3S is all fixed up to par. By then my car should be setup and ready to rock. Then we can do a little comparison between friends at auto-x, S2000 vs. MR2-S turbo'd vs. RX-7 TT. :D

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
ArchangelX said:
Dude...if you're not ready for it...you won't be expecting it when you end up whipping around a corner.

I practically did a 180-degree turn when I launched my 7 one night (kinda damp).

I also habitually brought the end out around corners.

There's nothing like it though...it's pretty badazz. I can see why people prefer RWD. It's just fun. :thumbup:
No contest RWD all the way in a sports car, more potential to put the power to the ground verses a FWD. :bowdown: :naughty: :burnout:

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm surprised no one mentioned the "handling aspects."

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How much would it cost to convert the celica to rwd? ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
In RWD's you get more of a pushed into your seat feel when you take off.
As for handling its better and worse in some aspects, for instance in a FWD car you wont power slide or drift, whereas with a RWD car with enough power it will slide everytime you take a corner too hard.
When it comes to racing a RWD car that slides will maintain better speed and times than a FWD car.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts