NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always thought that FWD vehicles are better for the winter than RWD vehicles. I don't have any experience in RWD cars, but I would think that if driving on snow the rear wheels are pushing so the front is not getting any traction correct? Some guy told me that RWD is actually better for winter and now I am confused. Then I think about lexus, benz, BMW, etc are mostly RWD vehicles. What do you guys think.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
It just depends on what your needs are.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Why are you asking this when we're in the middle of June?

·
Registered
280 Posts
FWD is far superior in the snow or on ice. The high end cars you mention all have very complex traction control, which minimizes this, but still does not make up for it, IMHO.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
BHam00GT-S said:
Why are you asking this when we're in the middle of June?
He lives in Minnesota, You live in Alabama, Slight Climate difference. Just slight...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I don't know but to me RWD is better on icy roads. My SR5 toy Sequoia made it when I almost got stuck in a blizzard in Lake Tahoe. And plus my Sequoia came with VSC

·
Registered
487 Posts
RWD sucks in the snow.. My camaro would always get stuck on the side of the road in the morning when it snowed, yet my Celica can usually pull itself out. Also, with just a tap of gas going around a corner(Even using snowtires and putting two bags of sand in the back) my Camaro would fishtail.. Although with a RWD, it is fun whipping the car around everywhere.

But it does depend a lot on the driver. My gf's college has a horrible, horrible steep incline near their dorms, I watched an AWD SUV make it up like 30% of the hill, YET even though I had a FWD camaro, I made it up like 70%.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Its ALL in the tires. I'd take RWD over FWD, even in the snow.

Driver makes a difference, FWD can help if you're an inexperienced driver, but someone who KNOWS how to drive, with proper, dedicated snow tires, will be better off with RWD in the snow. I speak from personal experience and having grown up in the snow belt (Rochester, NY) with both front (Passat, Focus, Celica), rear (Lincoln LS, BMW 5) and all wheel (Explorer, Audi A4). The AWD is nice in the snow, but remember, AWD doesn't help you stop. I felt like I had far more control from the RWD cars with snow tires. The FWD were good if you got into a wild skid though - instead of braking, you MUST gas it, and the front wheels will suck you out of the skid and claw forward.

Again, its really ALL in the tires - RWD+Snows will own a FWD+Summers.

Also traction control isn't "sophisticated" - its just a nanny system for people too stupid to know how to control the throttle. What it does if if a rear wheel spins, it cuts power to that wheel so it stops spinning - the same thing you could do by just letting off on the gas (I have driven cars with TCS in the snow and without it - RX-7 and RX-8).

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
RWD sucks in the snow plain and simple...I had decent snow tires on my cutlass and when I drove in the snow it would just spin the tires and take forever to get traction to get going. And whenever it was slick out it slid all over from under me. And I DO know how to drive well.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Growing up in MN and now living in ND, where snow is a 5 month a year issue, not just an inconvenience until it melts the next weekend, I've driven multiple FWD and RWD and 4WD vehicles in it. My older Grand Prix and Monte Carlo couldn't hold a candle to any of the FWD vehicles I've had for winters (Grand Am, Cavalier, GTP, etc, etc) in deep snow or on ice. The Celica actually had to do last winter here, and, except for ground clearance, did OK with all season tires.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I find that the weight of a car also makes a difference. Our Camry which is FWD and 3200lbs handles better than my FWD Celica at 2500lbs. My 95 Saturn SL2 was also light and didn't handle very well while my Contour was a couple hundred pounds heavier and handled better. Weight distribution helps too which is why FWD has an advantage over RWD.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Fwd is defiantly better in snow and rain. It gets through snow eaiser because of the added weight in the front from the engine. Nothing beats awd in bad weather though. And nothing beats rwd when it comes to excitment from sliding around when you want to. Nothing is good on ice not even awd unless you get some tire spikes.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts