NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well this problem started out a couple days ago after work.

Lately after driving my car I would get this strong gas smell around the rear driver side. Then after coming hear and doing research I came across information regarding the EVAP system. And I do not have a check engine light (at least not yet).

So here are my questions:

1) Is it confirmed to be an EVAP problem?

2) Can it be easily fixed?

3) What parts are most likely needed to be replaced?

4) Pics (because I am a visual person)?

Thanks

P.S. I will continue searching as well.

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Are you getting black smoke out the pipe at any time?

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Black smoke means unburned fuel..could be what you are smelling. If you haven't noticed any leaks or anything I'm not real sure. Maybe the gas cap isn't sealing anymore but id think you would get a CEL with that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You're best tool in this situation is your nose. Jack up the car, get under and start sniffin. Have your mama around just incase you pass out lol

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Or maybe the canister is bad?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So the problem was that the fuel tank had a hairline crack from something hitting it. And since then I have been having pretty bad gas mileage.

This is what I'm going to do:
1) rest ECU
2) monitor fuel status

In the mean time is there anything else that I can check or need to do to hit +400 miles to the tank.

P.S. I use chevron with techron so I think that I don't need seafoam but I will use it if you say so.

·
Registered
551 Posts
So the problem was that the fuel tank had a hairline crack from something hitting it. And since then I have been having pretty bad gas mileage.

This is what I'm going to do:
1) rest ECU
2) monitor fuel status
ummm...allow me to suggest item 1A:

REPAIR HAIRLINE CRACK IN FUEL TANK

·
Registered
148 Posts
yes repair the crack in the fuel take then a tune up take your foot off the pedal every now and then seafoam is good also. and try v-power from shell

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, what I meant is that I already replaced the fuel tank and this is happening. And lately I have been driving like a grandama when it comes to the pedal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
well than i would have do agree with gt-supercharged jack it up get a flash light start looking and feeling make sure everything is tight nothing is leaking. I would use seafoam to clear some things out to improve mpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts