NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gauge Cluster Inactive

My Tach, Speedometer, and ODO not working.

I arrived home from work and parked my car outside. In the morning when I started up my car, i noticed that my gauge cluster (tach, speed, odo) were completely inactive. My tach stays at 0rpm even when the car is running. When i drove the car around, the speedometer stayed at 0 also. The digital odo box is completely blank. There is no light coming from that area when i start up the car. The only light that actually works on the gauge cluster is the CEL; it appears while i crank the engine then dissapears. Also, the AC button doesnt light up but the clock and radio work correctly.

I disconnected the battery and plugged it back in and everything worked fine. I drove to work, parked it and a couple hours later when I started up my car, it happened again (no activity). This all started today and I cant figure out whats going on... HELP ?!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? :ugh:

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Check the connectors on the back of the gauges. Might've come loose. The gauges control a lot of stuff n the car, so they may be responsible for the AC button.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber
Check the connectors on the back of the gauges. Might've come loose.
Most likely culprit. If you were having problems on the battery end I would assume much more problems than just the gauges malfunctioning.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried to find something loose but no luck. I made sure all the connectors are in but i still have the same problem. Could there be wires inside the dash, accessible from the shifter area? Anything in there that could be the culprit?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know if this helps but when the guages dont work, my AUTO-ON lights dont work and my DRLs dont work either. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
504 Posts
did you check your fuses? sometimes even a bent, not broken fuse, will cause things to not function correctly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea, i checked the fuses. My mechanic friend has that little testing pencil thing and he said all the fuses (the under the hood ones and the kick panel ones) are good. He doesnt work on toyotas and he can't find an answer. Its starting to piss me off resetting my ecu everytime i want to drive it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i was rummaging around my wires where the shifter is and i found this...

The wire is green/white, any ideas if it has to do anything with my gauges?

·
Registered
229 Posts
It is NOT a factory wire. Trace the wire to see where it goes.

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
You said your friend checked all of the fuses by proding them, but I believe there are 4 or so multi-fuses in the center junction panel that you have to take out and visually look at them to see if they are busted. You can't prod them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
slidr said:
You said your friend checked all of the fuses by proding them, but I believe there are 4 or so multi-fuses in the center junction panel that you have to take out and visually look at them to see if they are busted. You can't prod them.
yea, we did that after GT'02's comment and everything turned out fine. I got annoyed doing the whole taking off battery thing everytime i wanted to drive my car so i took it to several shops. They tried to diagnose the problem but came out empty handed. I kept getting the, "bring it to toyota" response. So i did just that.. took it to toyota. Brought it in at 8:00am and they called me back at 6:00pm saying, "it's your viper alarm system thats causing the problem". they said, "you have to take that thing out and bring the car back afterwards with the stock alarm installed. From there we can diagnose the problem". I asked how they diagnosed it so far and they said, "they can't, they need the alarm taken out". I think thats complete utter b*llsh*t if you ask me. Ive had that alarm on there since i got the car which was about 70k miles ago. My friend who works at best buy that installs electronics and alarm systems said that there is no possible way, especially when the alarm was professionally installed by a viper alarms dealer.

Any ideas whats going on?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I guess, take it out.. cant hurt, it wont take too long.. then let em play with it? Otherwise I think you can take it to a pep boys and have them diagnosit, should run about 60 bux though for them to find it, but they WILL find out what your problem is, no doubt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts