NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
lets say you are tuning the boost on a turbo gt.....

would it be a good or bad idea to have minimal boost (about 4-5 psi) in 1st gear and add 1 psi for every gear you go up (basically having 8 or 9 psi in 5th gear) ?
i thought it would be a good idea since a boosted celi has such a hard time maintaining traction in 1st and second gear-rather than having 8-9 psi constantly. any suggestions are welcome.

·
Registered
656 Posts
It might be good in first gear but if your only using like half your boost for the first 2 gears your gonna be losing a lot of power and probably slow you down. I'd think you'd be better off just using a nice set of drag radials, and just get some practice. I think your idea works a lot better when your running large amounts of boost like 16 - 20 psi.

But it might be worth it to try it out for a few runs and see how it goes, it might work pretty good.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
I dont think traction is bad like everyone makes it seem. Sure theres some problems, but mainly depends on the surface your on and the tires you have on the car. Heres a mild launch but pushing it through the gears at just 10psi. Not much wheel spin and I have light weight wheels.Before the clutch started slipping and I was doing the same at 16+psi and not much changed other then having to hold the wheel alot stronger. So IMO having to have gear specific boost is not needed.
http://www.c2design.hu/celica/Videos/soc1.mpg

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
In a straight line you'd want as much boost as the tires can put down. For road course or auto-x you may want to back down from that a little because the inside tire gets unloaded.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
soceur said:
I dont think traction is bad like everyone makes it seem. Sure theres some problems, but mainly depends on the surface your on and the tires you have on the car. Heres a mild launch but pushing it through the gears at just 10psi. Not much wheel spin and I have light weight wheels.Before the clutch started slipping and I was doing the same at 16+psi and not much changed other then having to hold the wheel alot stronger. So IMO having to have gear specific boost is not needed.
dont forget your LSD!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Maybe in first gear but even then if you learn how to launch you can get good traction.
I got my 1.85 60 foot on 11 psi no problema...but DR's are a must
One thing is that I can no longer launch at 7000rpm like I used to I have to launch around 6400 now and a good bunrout is an absolute must

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UMMMM I never mentioned anything about drag racing. I should have been clearer- my question was in regards to daily driving.

·
Registered
656 Posts
For daily driving I would keep the boost down in all gears because of reliability. You shouldnt have traction problems just daily driving unless your punching it. I would just keep the boost around 5 - 6 psi while your just cruising then if you wanna drive aggressive turn it up to 8 or 9.

·
Registered
2,590 Posts
Originally posted by c2gas
dont forget your LSD!

:headbang: oops how could i forget!

·
Registered
709 Posts
get the gizmo that controls your rpm's...
I dunno what it is called, but you just press your pedal down and it keeps the rpm's at a preset level when launching, then turns off
you can take off at the best power available... but like soceur said... it depends on the surface and tires..

·
Registered
822 Posts
Originally posted by Nu Concept
UMMMM I never mentioned anything about drag racing. I should have been clearer- my question was in regards to daily driving.
not to press this issue here....but unless you're drag racing why would you care to get good traction in first gear????

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
mrtomcat said:
not to press this issue here....but unless you're drag racing why would you care to get good traction in first gear????
LOL:chuckles:

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
hehe, I'll be sure to watch out for NuConcept in LA.
new concept:
daily driving = launching from stop lights. :eatpop:

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
I think the better solution is rpm specific boost which Blitz can do.
You get Blitz PowerMeter and link it with SBC i-D boost controller and you can set the boost controller to boost how much on each rpm. This is good for front wheel drive cars that loses traction and stuff.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by QTRMLR_1
hehe, I'll be sure to watch out for NuConcept in LA.
new concept:
daily driving = launching from stop lights. :eatpop:
thats exactly what it looked like when I was trying to learn how to drive stick in my celi. and driving uphill from a stop? dont even ask.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Originally posted by soceur
that's some nice low-end torque. I'd like to see what the top-end looks like! haha I wish I could see the look on that old lady's face as you blew by her on her bench. :rofl: that belongs in a commercial.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is tracktion controll and launch controll boxes available from some who specialized for racing. If someone intrested we might take a look!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts