NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im going to skip the details on how I'm going to get this car but there will be no money coming out of my pockets to get this car. I currently drive a 2002 celica GT auto 90k miles. I have minor add ons to the car(rims, spoiler, taillights).

So this guy selling his 2001 GTS auto. He has a full body kit, leather interior, sound system. It definitely stands out more than my car(besides the rims) on the outside. Well I test drove it yesterday and it felt slower than my GT. I'm going to test drive it today. YES I AM AWARE IT'S A AUTO GTS......... but it still should be faster than a auto GT. I drive my car everyday and I could just tell it's not faster. I even tried that "M" mode thing on it and it just doesn't feel quicker at all. Now remember this is not costing me anything. should I just keep my car or switch it? I obviously would put my better rims on the new car.

Oh and i forget he has 56k miles.

I know I should get the 6 speed but remember this is not costing me anything. im practically trading my car for it if I want it.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
i would keep the gt, your car is faster than his and gets better gas mileage especially for a daily driver. It would be hard to find a used 6 speed tranny too for the gt-s.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I'm not going to go look for a 6speed tranny. it's not that big of a deal to me. I just don't understand how that car could be slower with 40 more horses. when i drove it I thought to myself that maybe it's just his car or maybe there is something wrong with the car. i felt like i was driving a very old car. like it took forever to reach 75mph on the highway

·
Registered
528 Posts
theres not that much differance between the gt and the gts only thing is the gts has 40 more hp wow big deal lol and disk breaks maybe they should have made the gts with more hp like over 200

·
you dun goofed
2,164 Posts
oh yeah and the gts is 1 sec faster in 0-60 wow big deal keep the GT
The auto GTS is way slower than the auto GT because the 2zz has a very peaky powerband. The auto that comes with the auto GTS has only 4 speeds, and the 2zz makes a lot of its power up top, so when the 4 speed shifts, your RPM's fall below your powerband, which is why the auto GTS is slower than the auto GT. The 1zz, on the other hand, has more guts in the midrange, which is what you would be staying in, because of the 4 speed transmission. Also, the auto shifts before redline, which cuts lift short. Perhaps if Toyota built a 5 speed or 6 speed automatic for the GTS, it would be farther on par with a 6 speed manual GTS.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The auto GTS is way slower than the auto GT because the 2zz has a very peaky powerband. The auto that comes with the auto GTS has only 4 speeds, and the 2zz makes a lot of its power up top, so when the 4 speed shifts, your RPM's fall below your powerband, which is why the auto GTS is slower than the auto GT. The 1zz, on the other hand, has more guts in the midrange, which is what you would be staying in, because of the 4 speed transmission. Also, the auto shifts before redline, which cuts lift short. Perhaps if Toyota built a 5 speed or 6 speed automatic for the GTS, it would be farther on par with a 6 speed manual GTS.
good to know

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wooooow that makes a whole lot of sense. so basically the GTS is like the biggest waist of money if you're not getting manual. i didn't learn how to drive stick until after i brought the car. so thank god i didn't by a auto GTS back then. what a waste of money why would they make a 4 speed automatic.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I Dont even think he wants it for the fact that its a GTS, I think he wants it for the add ons like the body kit and so on. Not to mention that it has half the mileage of his GT.
I mean granted he doesnt want to race it so I guess it all depends wether he wants to trade his gas mileage for a pretty car:gay:. lol
There has to be something wrong with it though cuz why would somebody trade a GTS with plenty of ad ons and half the mileage for a almost stock GT with higher mileage:shrugs:

·
you dun goofed
2,164 Posts
I Dont even think he wants it for the fact that its a GTS, I think he wants it for the add ons like the body kit and so on. Not to mention that it has half the mileage of his GT.
I mean granted he doesnt want to race it so I guess it all depends wether he wants to trade his gas mileage for a pretty car:gay:. lol
There has to be something wrong with it though cuz why would somebody trade a GTS with plenty of ad ons and half the mileage for a almost stock GT with higher mileage:shrugs:
:shrugs: Because its an auto GTS. Just like someone else pointed out earlier, the OP would be getting the shorter end of the stick. Like numerous other people have said, wait for a 6 spd GTS. If you don't want to get manual, then stick with the GT, and don't go to the GTS.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There has to be something wrong with it though cuz why would somebody trade a GTS with plenty of ad ons and half the mileage for a almost stock GT with higher mileage:shrugs:[/QUOTE]

well im not trading the car with him. remember the part where i clearly stated IT'S NOT GOING TO COST ME. i said that because there is no reason why i need to explain the details of how I'm getting the car, so relax. if I want the car it's an option for me to take it, thats all u need to know GUY. as far as racing no im not taking the car to race it. but if im getting a car that I know is more powerful than my own then I expect for it to be faster I mean it is a GTS. Yeah it looks a bit more prettier:fawk: and it does have lower mileage we don't need for u to repeat what i said already. all i want to know is would it be a better choice to get the car under these conditions.:wiggle:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:shrugs: Because its an auto GTS. Just like someone else pointed out earlier, the OP would be getting the shorter end of the stick. Like numerous other people have said, wait for a 6 spd GTS. If you don't want to get manual, then stick with the GT, and don't go to the GTS.
thanks I will most likely pass on the car. because even though speed isn't everything I don't want to go from a slow car to a slower one with more power. i might as well either get another car or just wait for the 6 speed.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts