NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is gonna be flame fodder for 'tard of the year but here goes.... my broke ass never replaced my 2 year old cat that started getting a recurring p0420 code that I thought was 1zzge oil burning related. I got off work tonight, I thought everything seemed fine. About 10min into my commute, I started smelling a sulfur smell...not even rotten eggs, more like magnesium sulfate or whatever the fuck.

Fvck!!! So I pulled over, shut everything off and took a peek out back and underneath. The cat was literally glowing.... fuck not good. The car sounds cammed.... stumbling a bit, I'm thinking there's excessive backpressure or so much built up in the cat that the exhaust is running back up towards the mani. In the meantime, I let the car cool off and I'm trying to get somebody just to let me park the car and give me a ride home, and naturally everybody says fvck you so I'm stuck.

So as stupid as I am, I babied it at about 1200rpm for the mile and a half I had just to get home. When I got home, the CEL went from constantly lit to blinking which means hey dumbass your car is fubar. So I pulled the codes and voila, P0420 and now a P0303 code (cylinder #3 misfire). I am at a crossroads here, because now I'll have to spend some serious bucks to not only get the cat fixed and figure this misfiring out....but I'm looking at an engine replacement in the very near future.

What the fuck do I do? I thought I'd have this car forever, but I can't justify dumping a couple thousand for a new 1zzfe. I'm pissed because I thought I would have learned a little welding by now and could have replaced the cat myself when this whole issue started. No shops will touch catalytic converters (around me at least) and tell me to take it to Toyota direct because they can't or just don't wanna fuck with it themselves.

Time for a bus pass. Sorry to vent guys I'm just fucking mad at myself and for not getting a GTS 10 years ago when I bought it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Could be the O2 Sensors. In the Shop Manual, there is a resistance check (Ohms) you can do with a Voltmeter. You can access both electrical connections inside the car under the passengers side left, remove clips and lift the carpet. If you need more details let me know, good luck.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,303 Posts
It's possible that the misfire actually heated up the cat to the point that it started glowing too, kind of the other way around from what you are thinking. When the CEL starts flashing it's indicating severe misfire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts