NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend put some GM Syncromesh tranny fluid into his rx7 and it makes the cars shift very smooth. I've also heard many otehr good remarks about this tranny fluid. I looked on the bottle and couldn't find anythign regarding the GL of the fluid. I remember reading somewhere that for our trannys we shouldn't use GL-5 fluid. I'm due for changing my tranny fluid out (currently Redline MT-90) and was wondering if it would be safe to put GM syncromesh into my tranny.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone know? I can't find any info about this on the GM website. Maybe I should call up some dealers and hopefully they know.

Does anyone know what weight this tranny fluid is?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Check to see if the oil is safe for synchros. GL4=MT90 Redline the GL5 Redline Tranny oil (75W90NS) is NOT safe for synchros...

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
ishdo: That is exactly why I was asking. I don't want to risk my scyncros with a GL-5 fluid like Redline 75W-90NS (that is the reason I got Redline MT-90 instead).

rearendman0: This is the stuff I'm talking about, I'm not sure if this is the "standard transmission fluid" or "MTX" or some other synthetic.

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/gm_syncromesh.html

Can fluids be both GL-5 and GL-4? How does that work?

·
Registered
298 Posts
i'd look into something from Royal Purple as well... it's an amazing product... and i'd also continue using Redline before using a GM product...

·
Registered
493 Posts
i used mobil1 gear lubricant.. 75w90. is that ok for the celica?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts