NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, hass can't get me a kit for like 8-12 weeks, so it looks like I'm going custom. I found a shop in the area that has done a couple of custom kits on celicas that I am going to use. Does anyone have any words of wisdom that they would like to pass on? I've never built a turbo kit before, so I am looking for as much input as possible.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
pnoy said:
know how much power you want to push on your engine and determine all the parts and engine upgrades needed to acquire that.
+1

what are your power and useage goals? This going to be street machine? Street and drag? Autocross? Occasional track day? How much power do you want and what is your budget?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
exile27 said:
Well, hass can't get me a kit for like 8-12 weeks, so it looks like I'm going custom. I found a shop in the area that has done a couple of custom kits on celicas that I am going to use. Does anyone have any words of wisdom that they would like to pass on? I've never built a turbo kit before, so I am looking for as much input as possible.
Words of wisdom you could wait the 8-12 weeks and save alot of dough.
A custom job will cost ya. But hey it's your money....................
:eatpop: Good luck.

·
Registered
6,050 Posts
CEGONAX-MAN said:
Words of wisdom you could wait the 8-12 weeks and save alot of dough.
A custom job will cost ya. But hey it's your money....................
:eatpop: Good luck.
How do you know? You cant even fathom how much parts cost. If the shop knows what they are doing they can build a kit for less than hass...You really should stop giving advice on this site, it only makes you look like a idiot which is true anyways.

·
Registered
137 Posts
the stand alone and turbo are whats gonna cost the most other than that you can fab up a replica of just about any manifold thats the right demension for 200, 250 bucks all you gotta do is but some piping you know

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
bigjuice61 said:
you can fab up a replica of just about any manifold thats the right demension for 200, 250 bucks
wanna bet? If you don't have the one you want to copy in hand its not going to be quite that easy or inexpensive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
why not just buy the neuking manifold and start from there. They got the downpipe and the t3 or t4 adapters that go along with it. Really looks like a nice peice of work too. AND ITS GOLD. hehe

·
Registered
980 Posts
Start with getting yourself a really good header design that has a support bracket. Now, for the turbo, you should go for one that is water cooled (ie. GT2860 or if you want more power 2871). Depending on what you want/need those two parts are what gets the ball rolling for the rest of your turbo setup. The better advice would be to read the book "Maximum Boost" as Boosted suggested in the stickies. That book has some really sound advice in it.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
like these guys said determine about where you want your power to be...if you're not looking for much more power than what the Hass or C2 kit can offer, just wait, it'll be cheaper to get from them....if you still want to go custom and your engine's not built, I'd suggest staying in the 1-10 psi range unless you really trust your tuner...also learn how to read compressor maps and do your research on which turbos look good, I can tell you right now though most people on this site use the GT28r, GT28rs, GT2871r, and Gt3071r in order of increasing horsepower and lag time...you also need to decide if you want to go internally wastegated or externally wastegated (if you go external I would recommend the Tial 44mm wastegate)...as for a manifold, if you really trust your fabricator and he knows what he's doing then go for it (there's nothing better than a custom part) but remember that that manifold has to support the weight of the turbo and downpipe....if you were to get a premade manifold you could order one from Neukin, Hass, or C2 (the latter two if you pick an internally wastegated turbo) but keep in mind the Neukin warranties their stuff for life, and you can order all the parts at once, knowing they'll fit your car and each other.....I think that's about it...get a PFC or Hydra to tune with, get a damn Wideband, and if you're feeling really ritzy look at some of the water/methanol kits on the market to help with the tuning..uh...get your i/c pipes bead welded, get real silicone couplers...look at an oil cooler if your oil temps get outrageous, make sure you tighten everything back down to spec...DO NOT USE A BRASS TEE+ENGINE BLOCK FOR ANYTHING, just order the damn aluminum fittings from Jegs...eh that's about it I guess...make sure you have friends and can buy beer cause you're gonna need both of them, also make sure you have a second car or some way to get around cause however long you think it's going to take you, multiply that by however many people your relying on to get somethign done and THAT'S how long it will take...anyway, good luck, I'm going to get something to eat :eatpop:

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
i always thought a custom trubo would be good. but i think the only bad thing is if something messes up like i dont know..... the like the Manifold or the WGA. then you would have to get the money. but if you bought a kit and something messes up the company gives you one free no charge.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I deleted my post that was here before. I am sure most of you say the post from Jesse at Turbo-kits.com. It is good to see all is well and with them involves now the Hass issues will be resolved. That means we all get a product faster and in order. Great news.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Firefighter1 said:
I can give you the inventory from the Hass kit and I bet with some looking around you can piece together a kit for cheaper. With the other kits your still buying parts because stuff is missing or came with the wrong parts. These are the experiences of people who have got these kits including myself. I am going to try and get with Hass to get some issues fixed, i.e. wrong wastegate, and a few missing pisses and the lack of ceramic coating that I paid for. I hope everything can get straightened out or else it will end up costing more and I already spent 6k and I still need gauges and a few other things. A bulk of the 6k is the Hydra of coarse but it ain't cheap to do it right the first time or the second time for some people who did it partially the first time. IMHO I bet you can get all the stuff for the same price or a little less with better quality couplers and brass tees instead of plastic. Just my $.02.

Hydra, nice...I wish I could have afforded that...btw be carfeful where you use those brass fittings they're the spawn of satan

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Shizuma said:
Hydra, nice...I wish I could have afforded that...btw be carfeful where you use those brass fittings they're the spawn of satan

Brass sucks, I had a brass T break on me without any weight on it!

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Firefighter1 said:
Someone please elaborate. I thought brass tees would be better than the plastic ones. What are the dangers?
okay...uh, if you screw it in directly into the engine block you run the risk of ruining the threading on the block...it's a pretty soft metal and it generally doesn't stand up well against vibrations

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
Firefighter1 said:
Oh, I am just talking about brass tees for vacum lines and stuff. I know brass is pretty weak and it is never a good idea to combine disimilar metals. Thanks for the heads up.
Oh it's cool, I thought you were talking about using a brass T for an oil line or such

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.