NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I are racing two identical 2000 GTS in SCCA club racing, ITR class. We're going through CV boots and axles like crazy. We're using OEM axles and OEM boots. In the last race, we each melted an inner CV boot to the axle. We've also torn several outer boots.

I think that the problem is heat related. We have PPE header and midpipe. I'm thinking to make a few heat shields. Anyone have any experience making heat shields to protect the boots and axles?

As a note, the cars are quite fast. Surprisingly, we're very competitive in ITR. Even running against much more powerful cars. We're having a blast, but we gotta resolve this CV boot issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I might try a wrap, but I know that the wrap significantly shortens the life of the header. The stock header had all sorts of heat shields on it. The new one does not. So, the amount of heat being radiated is significant.

just wondering if anyone has added any kind of heat shields.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
IDK I have a GT and I the most I have ever ran the car on track was 1 hour straight. Havnt melted any CV boot. Granted I have stock header with shields in. I dont think that the header gets close enough to the boot to have significant radiant heat to melt them.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
That does seem like quite a distance from the boots, especially when any air moving through moves from boots to header not the other way around. Are these the boots at the wheels? Could it be the rotors? Maybe try some ducting?

·
Registered
16 Posts
So i am running the other car. I took apart my inner CV joint last night and the grease was smoked. I noticed that the cage, the outer cage and the piece that holds the balls was polished and showed signs of heat stress. I am thinking that having the cars lowered is causeing stress to the inner joint.

Thoughts?

This axle was run for a total of 2 1/2 hours of track time

·
Registered
8,275 Posts
custom axle shafts with the correct length for being lowered, you'll need to make some measures and do some math to get the right length or talk to a shop that does this. You can swap joints on the axles themselves and reuse the shafts every time.

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
There was someone who was racing a Celica in stock class club racing a couple years back who was having similar issues, It was an extremely long thread, but I think he may have had a solution involving aftermarket CV boots, you'd have to dig the thread up in the tracking sub forum to be sure though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was someone who was racing a Celica in stock class club racing a couple years back who was having similar issues, It was an extremely long thread, but I think he may have had a solution involving aftermarket CV boots, you'd have to dig the thread up in the tracking sub forum to be sure though.
We've been talking to him. His car is setup a little differently. I think that the big differences with our cars are the ride height and the heat from the header. The other guy's header is wrapped and he has brake ducts.

·
GTS Turbo
1,111 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts