NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in a couple of months, I will be purchasing a car and since my mom said no to a domestic, IM leaning torwards a used 5th gen lude, gts, or teg gsr.... the gts seems to be the most favorable option because i am going to buy it from a toyota dealer and certified used vehicles from toyota come with a 6year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty... but something is worrying me... it seems that a lot of the 2000 year models are having problems, whether it be engine or electronic... it also seems that a lot of people have problems with misshifting and also abuse (shifting at rev limiter) and as a result, a lot of these engines are not in the best of shape.. so could someone shed some light on this for me? how can i avoid a car that has been abused/misshifted then fixed? should i take the car to another mechanic and run a commpression test? thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Any used car you are thinking about purchasing, take to a respectable mechanic to get looked over.

Another thing I did, was get a Carfax account at http://www.carfax.com . Just find out the VIN number, and it will tell you the histories of cars, if they have been in anything major or in the shop etc.

Hope that helps. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
I bought a certified used 2000 GTS as well, but that was in 2001 and the car only had 5k miles on it. The only probs I had w/ my car is the belt tensioner, but that's a pretty simple matter. It's a good car, and mine has been very faithful to me, even tho I abuse the crap out of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just remember...if you get a 6spd, learn the shift gates before driving hard then you wouldn't have to worry about mis-shift. Basically it comes down to the driver. Good driver = No misshift

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I'm not going to bash Toyota Certified Vehicles BUT also don't assume the car is 100% just because it has that title either. When I was shopping around for my used GT-S I went to go take a look a Certified Celica and it was in some bad shape under the hood. The valve cover had deep gashes and scratches all over it. Even though it's just plastic it leads to my next point. The Manifold had dents everywhere like someone took a hammer to it. How could that happen unless it wasn't in a front end collision? As I started to walk away the salesman told me to sit in the car and turn it on. That it'll sound normal and that I'm just being paranoid about it. So I did just that and after about ten seconds of the car being on, the CEL light came on.

The Celica I ended up buying wasn't "Certified" but it runs like a champ and I've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i've been racing mine every once in a while but also i've been changing out every 2000 miles and i have no problems with it. i would seriously recommend the car!!

·
Registered
9,255 Posts
its a bit iffy to buy a car like that not knowing the previous owner. Was it A person who barely drove it and always took it to the dealer for service or was it a person who revs it to the 8400rpms every chance he gets & heard about landing in lift and tried to perfect the technique.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts