NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was getting the ww kit painted at TPR autobdy,and wanted to go wingless. they said that for them to remove the wing they would have to repaint the whole trunk area ($350), or I can just get the plugs at the dealer and fill the holes. How did you guys go wingless? Is that a right price to take the wing off?

You guys got picks of the plugs on the celica?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
well when i wanted to get it done.. they (a different shop) quoted me 150 to paint the trunk and weld the holes shut. i go to that shop all the time and so do the other members in my team.. but i would think any other shop should do it for relatively the same price. 350 sounds a bit much.

·
Registered
272 Posts
why would you wanna go wingless?

that just means your car is harder to control at high speeds and on turns. (fishtailing)

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Originally posted by 00TRDGT-S
why would you wanna go wingless?

that just means your car is harder to control at high speeds and on turns. (fishtailing)
why would you be going that fast to begin with unless ur on a track?

Originally posted by m.aurelius
I was getting the ww kit painted at TPR autobdy,and wanted to go wingless. they said that for them to remove the wing they would have to repaint the whole trunk area ($350), or I can just get the plugs at the dealer and fill the holes. How did you guys go wingless? Is that a right price to take the wing off?

You guys got picks of the plugs on the celica?
actually that does sound about right. what they do is weld a washer type piece underneath, bondo up the holes and there are little nubs that stick out which they also need to shave off, and fill up.

Originally posted by hi ho silver
well when i wanted to get it done.. they (a different shop) quoted me 150 to paint the trunk and weld the holes shut. i go to that shop all the time and so do the other members in my team.. but i would think any other shop should do it for relatively the same price. 350 sounds a bit much.
thats dirt cheap... i'm guessing ur team has hookups at that shop?

·
Registered
596 Posts
350 is high...it should be around 150-200. And taking the wing off wont make it harder to control at all. Don't let the noob fool you.

·
Registered
272 Posts
100to5 said:
350 is high...it should be around 150-200. And taking the wing off wont make it harder to control at all. Don't let the noob fool you.
go lift the rear of your celica with your bare hands.
not hard at all. (assuming you have an empty trunk, but with spare tire in)

now imagine cruising on the freeway doing 65-70 mph and you swerve slightly.
due to the light weight in your trunk, your rear will possibly fishtail slightly.

do the same thing again, at a higher speed, maybe a little bit harder.
you'll slide even more and spin out.

the rear wing creates downforce that keeps the rear pressed down on the ground, minimizing the chance of losing traction back there.

why do you think Formula One or Indy cars have wings?

you're teh :newbie:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always thought that wings were nothing more but cosmetic in FWD cars. The indy cars and all cars with wings are RWD if you want improvemet. And I thought fishtailing was more prone to RWD.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
yah my team kinda has hookups there.. but when i asked around the boards how much it costed everyone else. they said about 100-200 as well.. so i dunno.

anyways.. the likelihood of fishtailing (oversteer) a front wheel drive car are slim unless its after a series of quick swerves maybe. i highly doubt our stock wings were designed with stability and downforce in mind. because some stock celicas dont have wings and i doubt toyota would risk safety to help consumers save a few bux.

·
Registered
596 Posts
00TRDGT-S said:
go lift the rear of your celica with your bare hands.
not hard at all. (assuming you have an empty trunk, but with spare tire in)

now imagine cruising on the freeway doing 65-70 mph and you swerve slightly.
due to the light weight in your trunk, your rear will possibly fishtail slightly.

do the same thing again, at a higher speed, maybe a little bit harder.
you'll slide even more and spin out.

the rear wing creates downforce that keeps the rear pressed down on the ground, minimizing the chance of losing traction back there.

why do you think Formula One or Indy cars have wings?

you're teh :newbie:
Have you driven a celica with and without a spoiler? I have and it does nothing. Celicas are fwd 140hp/180hp cars, not rwd formula one or indy cars. There is a big difference and thats why they use spoilers for performance and we have spoilers for appearance.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
yes $350 sounds right to me, cuz M1 quoted me $400, which is way to much for just shave and paint.

what's up Gerald? thanks for the exhaust, i like it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
100to5 said:
Have you driven a celica with and without a spoiler? I have and it does nothing. Celicas are fwd 140hp/180hp cars, not rwd formula one or indy cars. There is a big difference and thats why they use spoilers for performance and we have spoilers for appearance.
yes i have in mine. nearly spun out taking a freeway transfer turn a little bit over the posted speed limit.

you dont have to be rwd to lose traction in the back.

00silvergts6spd knows what im talking about, it's happened to him before.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey whats up, lee. Glad you like it, still waiting for the turbo and exhaust. I miss the sound and the power. It seems like my rpms do not jump as fast as it use to.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
good luck with your turbo set up. i wish i had the money for turbo. oh yes, let me know how it turns out if you decide to go wingless because i'm about to do the same.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
i guess its coz my friends and i go to that shop all the time. so i get a big price break. but 300-400 sounds so expensive considering the cost of a pint of paint is much less than 100 dollars and will go a very long way. other than that welding the holes and shaving off those nubs shouldn't be much trouble at all. but im sure if your paying that much, quality will sure be top notch :thumbup:

·
Registered
818 Posts
shouldnt be that much, especially if your trunk is in good shape with paint... they can just sand it down slightly and paint it over, if you are just filling the holes

·
Just call me GnG
3,750 Posts
100to5 said:
YES! THE WING DOES NOTHING! (or for the most part, creates minute effect). I hope we're talking about the low profile wing here. The TRD wing is a different story... but still doesnt create enough downforce to balance the car out. You can't just drive it around and assume that you're loosing traction due to the lack of rear downforce. There are dozens of factors that people do differently. A wing on an FF doesnt do jack squat unless its been tested in a wind tunnel. The low profile wing only creates more drag.. it does more harm than good. The brochure also states that the wing is for LOOKS.

·
Registered
272 Posts
it may be different for each person but for me, personally, going wingless risks losing traction in the rear on high speed turns. or high speed swerves.

have you ever put your hand outside the window at 70 mph? it either quickly shoots up or down, depending on the angle of your hand.
tilt it slightly down and your hand goes down quickly.

apply that same effect to a wing.
ta-dah! downforce.

so it IS useful in lightweight cars.

i'm sure if wings were just drag, those formula one or indy cars would have given them the boot a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
00TRDGT-S said:
it may be different for each person but for me, personally, going wingless risks losing traction in the rear on high speed turns. or high speed swerves.

have you ever put your hand outside the window at 70 mph? it either quickly shoots up or down, depending on the angle of your hand.
tilt it slightly down and your hand goes down quickly.

apply that same effect to a wing.
ta-dah! downforce.

so it IS useful in lightweight cars.

i'm sure if wings were just drag, those formula one or indy cars would have given them the boot a long time ago.
You have to stop comparing indy cars. Besides, on superspeedways, champ cars use smaller wings to reduce drag.

PM Blue Bomber. I believe he has the drag coefficients comparing winged/wingless celicas.
Like someone said, the tendency to fishtail is dependent on a lot of other things (tire pressure, bad alignment, etc).

·
Registered
272 Posts
TaeMachine said:
You have to stop comparing indy cars. Besides, on superspeedways, champ cars use smaller wings to reduce drag.

PM Blue Bomber. I believe he has the drag coefficients comparing winged/wingless celicas.
Like someone said, the tendency to fishtail is dependent on a lot of other things (tire pressure, bad alignment, etc).
whatever you say :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts