NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to be critical, but I need to point this out, for this is the biggest mistake I see in all internet forum postings and it drives me nuts. (I was a Economics and Math double major with a Physics minor... thus, no English background, yet I still know the difference):

Definition: lose

1 a : to bring to destruction -- used chiefly in passive construction <the ship was lost on the reef> b : DAMN <if he shall gain the whole world and lose his own soul -- Matthew 16:26 (Authorized Version)>
2 : to miss from one's possession or from a customary or supposed place
3 : to suffer deprivation of : part with especially in an unforeseen or accidental manner
4 a : to suffer loss through the death or removal of or final separation from (a person) b : to fail to keep control of or allegiance of <lose votes> <lost his temper>
5 a : to fail to use : let slip by : WASTE <lose the tide> b (1) : to fail to win, gain, or obtain <lose a prize> <lose a contest> (2) : to undergo defeat in <lost every battle> c : to fail to catch with the senses or the mind <lost part of what she said>
6 : to cause the loss of <one careless statement lost him the election>
7 : to fail to keep, sustain, or maintain <lost my balance>
8 a : to cause to miss one's way or bearings <lost himself in the maze of streets> b : to make (oneself) withdrawn from immediate reality <lost herself in daydreaming>
9 a : to wander or go astray from <lost his way> b : to draw away from : OUTSTRIP <lost his pursuers>
10 : to fail to keep in sight or in mind
11 : to free oneself from : get rid of <dieting to lose some weight>
intransitive senses
1 : to undergo deprivation of something of value
2 : to undergo defeat <lose with good grace>
3 of a timepiece : to run slow
- los

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.