NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me be one of the few to say that after installing the GReddy kit with the stock base map my car is running like a champ. I have no bogging, no CEL's, no stalling or hesitation of any sort. My car is running just like it did before the SC install but now it's way faster. The power increase is amazing, and it sounds great as well. I still need to get it tuned to my major mods (Straight pipe, AEM CAI, and a P&P exhuast manifold). I might be taking it to the track next week if I get everything taken care of this week with the car. Then I'll post numbers and vids. I'm just hoping that after a tune, new problems won't pop up.

The only complaints that I do have about the kit are: The brackets that you mount the cruise control on was bent at the opposite angle it should have been at so I had to bend it back, and the other one wasn't bent enough to get it to clear which I also had to fix. Also, the wiring diagram for the ultimate had a few color wire typos... and by a few I mean 5 or 6. But after getting help from a friend, we got it all figured out and overall had a great install. ;)

And just wondering... you other GReddy SC kit owners- Did you notice the wiring diagram errors, or did the shop you had it installed at notice those if it had them? I see that some people have problems with misfires or bogging/stalling and such and I was just curious if they could be related to that. Also I changed the hose that went to the boost actuator because I noticed it would get pinched back there and because I had to setup a boost gauge to it.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
congradulations!!

My kit never came with instructions. I had to get Greddy to email them to me and the wiring directions were fine. All the colors matched up and everything except for the pin #s since i have an 04 GTS. Other than that never had a problem like most poeple did here. I wonder why?

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Congrats!

The wiring diagrams are only accurate for 00-02 (allegedly), so if you have an 03+, the diagrams will not be correct. I think someone (Milesplume? Jesse IL?) posted revised diagrams.

I've been very happy too! just more power and lots of fun! :headbang:

I did have a few very minor issues with some slight off idle hesitation for a while, but these problems appear to have had more to do with aging sensors and a need for some fine tuning rather than problems with the kit itself.

Others who have had serious problems have typically traced it back to a faulty emanage -- specifically there is a bad chip on some models that can easily short out causing all sorts of problems :AF:

Your comment about the boost line makes me wonder whether that is affecting at least one person who has the kit... I'll direct him to this thread.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a 2000... maybe it was just my diagram and my brackets they failed to do correctly :confused:. I heard about those faulty emanages and I'm glad I didn't get stuck with one and the hassle of replacing it.

Yeah I read that stevefox42 was having a problem with his actuator and hopefully it's something as small as the hose getting pinched and nothing physically wrong with the actuator itself.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Widebody SC GTS said:
I have a 2000... maybe it was just my diagram and my brackets they failed to do correctly :confused:. I heard about those faulty emanages and I'm glad I didn't get stuck with one and the hassle of replacing it.

Yeah I read that stevefox42 was having a problem with his actuator and hopefully it's something as small as the hose getting pinched and nothing physically wrong with the actuator itself.
Actually, can you tell me which parts of the diagram were wrong -- I'd like to compare and contrast to see what affect it might have had --- I had it professionally installed, so I'm assuming my tuner just corrected any problems on the fly, but I'm curious nontheless...

Seems like quite a few of us now have the Greddy kit :)

People seem more likely to post when they have problems, which is understandable, but it's great to hear some positve results. Post dynos and such after you are tuned!

·
Registered
426 Posts
yes the cruise control brackets were messed up, acute instead of obtuse angles like in the install manuall. intense motorsports was supposed to do something about it but i just got too busy. they are rusting now, the brackets from all the manipulation

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
jlitman said:
Congrats!

The wiring diagrams are only accurate for 00-02 (allegedly), so if you have an 03+, the diagrams will not be correct. I think someone (Milesplume? Jesse IL?) posted revised diagrams.
That would be me actually :D

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Yeah the e-manage wire colors in the diagram (graphic) vs the wire colors in the table are wrong, you gotta go by the ones in the table.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
same here...

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
for those that have installed the greddy kit successfully....how many miles did your motor have prior to the install? Like over 100k, way under 100k?

I am trying to figure out roughly how many miles is too many to put this kit on safely..even with the base map.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Korben007 has over 170k on the clock and was the first one to have it installed. I have 70k.

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
well if korben did it with that many, then i shouldn't have a problem with my 104k

·
Registered
78 Posts
Try doing a compression test. That should tell you cylinder and ring condition.

Engine (Bone stock):
1ZZ-FE: ~218 psi
2ZZ-GE: ~203 psi (or more)
according to the shop manual

·
Registered
430 Posts
Widebody SC GTS said:
Let me be one of the few to say that after installing the GReddy kit with the stock base map my car is running like a champ. I have no bogging, no CEL's, no stalling or hesitation of any sort. My car is running just like it did before the SC install but now it's way faster. The power increase is amazing, and it sounds great as well. I still need to get it tuned to my major mods (Straight pipe, AEM CAI, and a P&P exhuast manifold). I might be taking it to the track next week if I get everything taken care of this week with the car. Then I'll post numbers and vids. I'm just hoping that after a tune, new problems won't pop up.

The only complaints that I do have about the kit are: The brackets that you mount the cruise control on was bent at the opposite angle it should have been at so I had to bend it back, and the other one wasn't bent enough to get it to clear which I also had to fix. Also, the wiring diagram for the ultimate had a few color wire typos... and by a few I mean 5 or 6. But after getting help from a friend, we got it all figured out and overall had a great install. ;)

And just wondering... you other GReddy SC kit owners- Did you notice the wiring diagram errors, or did the shop you had it installed at notice those if it had them? I see that some people have problems with misfires or bogging/stalling and such and I was just curious if they could be related to that. Also I changed the hose that went to the boost actuator because I noticed it would get pinched back there and because I had to setup a boost gauge to it.
So your just running the stock base map, and the car is drivable... thats impressive. how much faster does it feel? (you must post track numbers and videos if possible)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts