NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There seems to be a new Greddy tuning device -- the F-manage :wtf:

It appears to provide a way to fool the ECU into thinking it's running at stoich in closed loop and allows you to dial in any AFR you want!

Here's the babel fish link with Engrish translation...

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http://www.trust-power.com/03electric/fmanage.html&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Here's another translation

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.trust-power.com/03electric/fmanage.html&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=1&ct=result&prev=/search?q=Fmanage+Trust&hl=en&sa=G&pwst=1

Anyone able to translate this better? :chuckles:

Here's more info, but I can't read or translate any of it it... :eek::

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh? Why do you say that? :confused:

If this allows you to fool the O2 sensor into using a different AFR as the target value in closed loop, that would be pretty awesome for those of us without a stand alone.

·
Registered
418 Posts
there's actually been devices that does what greddy F-manage is doing.

alternatively, people have been tricking the ECU to think open loop all the time n forgo the close loop.

·
Registered
297 Posts
here's my next question...stock O2 sensor isn't exactly a wideband, so how accurate would it be if you simply plugged in a target value without changing to an aftermarket O2 sensor?

·
Registered
418 Posts
there's nothing to be accurate.

the Fmanage just tricks the computer to think the supposedly AF it wants to see. while the true AF is another figure. this is to keep the stock ECU happy while the Emanage is at work. end result: no extreme fuel trims.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
here's my next question...stock O2 sensor isn't exactly a wideband, so how accurate would it be if you simply plugged in a target value without changing to an aftermarket O2 sensor?
Well, that's a good question.

I'm not really sure exactly how it works (or how well it works!), but my guess is it can match a narrowband frequency to a given AFR, and then spoofs a signal that matches the voltage the ECU is looking for so the ECU thinks it's hovering at stoich as always.

Basically, it's a "signal conditioner" that has the added advantage of being synced up to the emanage ultimate for tuning -- that's pretty cool!

The only problem I can see is that narrowband sensors don't have great resolution. However, if the F-manage can compute the new voltage accurately enough and process the info fast enough, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Actually, I just had a look at the UEGO booklet, and it shows a narrowband voltage that corresponds to each wideband voltage, so -- this should totally work! The only issue is processing speed. If it can process the info as fast as the ECU, this should work like a charm.

For example, according to AEM, .8 volts = a narrow band equivalent of a 13:1 AFR. All the F-manage needs to do is tell the ECU that .8 v = .45 v (narrowband 14.7) and there you have it -- a new closed loop AFR!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
ACtually, if anyone is understand the HHO generator problem thread... then this is good for that too. Basically, when you start adding HHO into the system, the mixture at the O2 sensor gets a little messed up.

When using HHO, the car actually starts providing more fuel to burn, in order to counter balance the O2 level on the exhaust end. Having a device like this, actually helps regulate the voltage readings back to the ECU.

You wouldn't have to build an EFIE....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Does this mean the ecu will operate in closed loop at all any more? If it thinks its sitting pretty at 14.7, it won't bother trying to do the necessary STFT adjustments. Infact the STFTs are useful corrections, its its big brother, the LTFTs, that cause havoc with a good tune.

In that case, would the 16x16 grid of the emanage ult be fine enough for this (semi) standalone type tune?

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does this mean the ecu will operate in closed loop at all any more? If it thinks its sitting pretty at 14.7, it won't bother trying to do the necessary STFT adjustments. Infact the STFTs are useful corrections, its its big brother, the LTFTs, that cause havoc with a good tune.

In that case, would the 16x16 grid of the emanage ult be fine enough for this (semi) standalone type tune?
Probably not -- it will just create fuel trims around the new AFR.

You'd still need to dial out fuel trims, but they could be greatly minimized because you could target a more desirable AFR.

Accordingly, this would most likely allow one to completely eliminate any cold enrichment problems.

Also on a FI car, going from, say, 13.5 at idle to 12.0 in boost is less of a transition than going from 14.7.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
^^^ Yeesh... $500 for the unit plus A/F sensor adapter... I'll pass for now.

Thanks for posting that though -- well spotted.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I still can't understand why Greddy don't just produce a proper standalone version of the Ultimate :shrugs:

The Ultimate already intercepts the injector and spark signals, why the frick can't it just fire them when it wants regardless of what the ECU is trying (obviously it'd need crank position or such like) :shrugs:

They could then just provide a couple of black stickers to go over the CEL lights and you'd be laughing :)

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
^^^ Yeesh... $500 for the unit plus A/F sensor adapter... I'll pass for now.

Thanks for posting that though -- well spotted.
You might also want to let some other poor bugger do Greddy's beta-testing/quality-control fist - it seems to take them about 5 PCB revs to get anything right :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Marc,

You'd still need the emanage ultimate (EMU) for spark and open loop fueling -- the F-manage appears to exert its influence in closed loop only. However, you can indeed create a target map controlled by the wideband with the EMU -- I do that now, and it works pretty well.

Gravel,

they are definitely ready to shoehorn the Ulitmate E, V, and F into one metal box. I'm sure that will be the next unit in due course.

Okay, I am a fvcking idiot -- how the hell does the multiquote function work? Grrr...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts