1,292 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NoCones said:
And another bonus point for the A4 :rolleyes:

Yup....
I did some "paxing" and he did not get all that high in the standings...
He was third in the "super challenge" or whatever they call it though and said in a post on a different board that he got a .498 light...probably could of won it(isn't a .500 ok and .499 a redlight?)
Is there a way to "sandbag" to help you in the challenge in the end???
If there is a way, I would think that Joe would kick it down a notch to try to help himself for the challenge.
Who knows though..

I might get to do the Celica GT vs. A4 challenge this weekend although it might rain according to the weather report.
I hope it does not rain and I get to run against Joe!

FM

·
Registered
643 Posts
Joe redlit while taking on Gary Thomason in the semis. He was the THIRD redlight win IN A ROW for Gary in that challenge. The only round Gary actually had to win was the final...

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
fastmike said:
Yup....
I did some "paxing" and he did not get all that high in the standings...
He was third in the "super challenge" or whatever they call it though and said in a post on a different board that he got a .498 light...probably could of won it(isn't a .500 ok and .499 a redlight?)
Is there a way to "sandbag" to help you in the challenge in the end???
If there is a way, I would think that Joe would kick it down a notch to try to help himself for the challenge.
Pax results here:
http://www.ponycar.net/Atwater_Pro_Index.htm

The slower your times are in regular competition, the earlier you get to leave the line in the challenge, so, yes, there's incentive to sandbag. My bet is that he was doing it...he's maybe 50th in that pax listing? Not very Goeke-like.

Must be nice to sandbag and get the top qualifier position (and associated $$$) and get a series bonus point.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I assume you get the "bonus point" for winning???
One point extra for fastest challenge qualifier; i.e. being ahead of 2nd by the largest amount timewise in all the classes.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
preparedcivic said:
One point extra for fastest challenge qualifier; i.e. being ahead of 2nd by the largest amount timewise in all the classes.
Nope...you get the bonus point for being the only person from your class to qualify for the challenge. Of course, fairly often, that'll get you the top challenge seed. But the top seed wouldn't get the bonus point unless his margin was large enough to shut out the remainder of the class. Additionally, more than one person can get the bonus...if enough people had big winning margins.

Bryan

·
Registered
346 Posts
Nope...you get the bonus point for being the only person from your class to qualify for the challenge. Of course, fairly often, that'll get you the top challenge seed. But the top seed wouldn't get the bonus point unless his margin was large enough to shut out the remainder of the class. Additionally, more than one person can get the bonus...if enough people had big winning margins.
OK, back to the dunce corner I go after my senior moment. :confused: I do think they did that a few years ago. I know they used to give you single points if you were leading after each round. I forget when that stopped. Shows how seriously I take my ProSoloing efforts these days. In anycase, I'll go_way_out on a limb and say that no one in GS at Petersburg will be a bonus point recipient.......

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies...Now I know!

What does the "bonus points" do for you in regards to national year end status??

I would guess that you could earn enough that even if you got second at year end finals, you could still be declared the "winner"???

FM

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
fastmike said:
Thanks for the replies...Now I know!

What does the "bonus points" do for you in regards to national year end status??

I would guess that you could earn enough that even if you got second at year end finals, you could still be declared the "winner"???

FM
They could sort of supersede the Pro Finale finish as the tie-breaker. Say Goeke gets 2nd at the Finale...then he has 2 1st's and a 2nd. Say an east coaster wins the Finale with 1 1st and 1 2nd going in. Both end up with 2 1st's and a 2nd. Without bonus points, the Finale finish order is the tie breaker and the east coaster would win the series championship. With Goeke's bonus points, however, he'd win the series 58-56 (20 for 1st's, 16 for 2nd's, 1 for bonuses)

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HMmmmmmmmm..Very interesting....
This was posted to our local list....Hope Joe does not get mad at me!/I really like the guy/He is a cool dude.
Maybe that Audi of his is faster than we think?
FM

WHY the VERY THOUGHT of someone carrying sand is an afront to the Pro Solo
system! Sand INDEED! ;-)

I am appalled ;-)

sbw
----- Original Message -----

> I like all of your data analysis, but one thing that isn't factored in
(and
> I it can't be best I can tell) is the ProSolo "sand" factor. I for one
was
> toting a bunch in the trunk of the A4 ;-).
>
> For example, I did have one red-light run on Sunday morning where I didn't
> hit the brakes before the finish, and it would have been a 1 second
> improvement, but since red light runs are not scored or tracked, they
don't
> affect your dial-in (unlike hitting cones on fast runs).
>
> I would suspect some if not several of the folks that finish the event
with
> the extra bonus point, probably had some sand in their class winning
times.
>
> Just food for thought on the data for year end ProSolo
>
> ---JHG
>
>
> >From: "Jeff Winchell"
> >To: <[email protected]>
> >Subject: Atwater Pro Indexed
> >Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:23:24 -0700
> >
> >NW Drivers within 5% of the Top ProSolo Indexed Time:
> >
> > % of
> >Rank Top Index Class Name
> > Index Time Actual Entered
> > 3 99.89 45.522 BSP BSP Bill Buetow
> > 9 99.44 45.727 BSP BSP L J Moffet
> >12 99.12 45.879 DS DS Ron Bauer
> >14 98.99 45.937 ES ES Jim Daniels
> >18 98.83 46.011 SS SS Kevin Dietz
> >23 98.27 46.272 ASP SM2 Scotty White
> >28 98.07 46.370 FSP FSP Alan Dahl
> >31 97.83 46.484 SS SS Stacey Molleker
> >36 97.61 46.585 SS SS Tom Kotzian
> >38 97.50 46.638 DSL L1 Annie Gill
> >47 97.24 46.764 ASP ASP Doug Hebenthal
> >55 96.93 46.913 GS GS Joe Goeke
> >63 96.59 47.079 HS HS Keith Brown
> >77 95.96 47.387 ESL L1 Tami Daniels
> >80 95.73 47.502 BSPL L2 Angela Moffet
> >87 95.48 47.625 GSL L1 Anna Goeke
> >90 95.38 47.674 FSP FSP Sean Green
> >93 95.25 47.742 SSL L2 Laura Molleker
> >96 95.16 47.783 HS HS Karl Coleman
> >
> >Complete results, indexed and actual, current points, forecasted
> >points/entry lists, etc at the usual place.
>
>

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
He's fast. But we're confident...and as Rob always says: "not skeered"

That certainly verifies the level of GS competition out west...he totes "a bunch" of sand and still qualifies first for the challenge...ugh.

Oh well, all we can do is win events and try to bury him at the Finale. :burnout:

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
How does one qualify "first" for the challenge?

The irony of all of this is that Taka Aono managed to put an even bigger ass whoopin on his class (FSP), and was the #1 index for the event.

Scott

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
#1 qualifier is the one that beats his or her competition by the largest amount (time differential). Thus Taka was probably the #1 qualifier. - AB

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Actually, Joe won by 1.737, Taka by "only" 1.112.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts