NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I bet Foley would be happier if he was the one in first... Of course, it's *very* close at the top.

Where did all the Mini's go?

Scott

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad to see! I know Rob was having shock issues at the SEDIV at ACU in Norfolk. Looks like a tight group with 1 second covering the trophies!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It rained on the 2nd day... they had a soaked course on run 1 (see carpernter's time from a big spin),, and drying conditions run the rest of the heat

·
Registered
356 Posts
I heard from a friend of mine racin DS that there were alot of protests goin on in GS because people were calling mechanical to buy time for the course to dry for their run. Wonder where that will put the standings, if any of those are validated.

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
What's up with all these Civics in STS!! Arrgghh!!

http://ww2.scca.com/soloresults.php?ID=68

Just hope that Jeff in his GT can hold on to his spot! :) Aaron and Bryan, good driving to you both tomorrow! Show the Civics "You can do IT!" :)

·
Registered
277 Posts
From what I heard, a protest was upheld against Mark Allen. Apparently he had called a mechanical to change his tires, just before he was scheduled to run. This is not yet reflected in the posted results, but was posted at the protest shed, from what I am told.

FYI, I managed to change my tires between 1st and 2nd runs (thanks in part to a bit of help from Jason Minehart!), and the guys gridded before and after me also changed their tires between runs. No mechanical was required.

I read the supps, and it seemed pretty clear to me that asking for a mechanical to change tires during drying conditions would be frowned upon by the officials, not to mention the rest of the competitors.

Wednesday's conditions certainly made me wish I had found a co-driver. Having a car number over 100 was certainly an advantage. Not trying to take anything away from Carpenter, he had us all beat on his 2nd run. He's VERY good. And a gracious winner, too.

Big congrats to Jim Zeisler for pulling out a great 5th place finish!! And Jeff Templeton came from 22nd on Tuesday, to finish in the trophies on Wednesday. The beauty of all-wheel-drive, indeed!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Results are Up!

Good Job Jeff 6th Place! (Trophy)

Sorry to see Aaron slip back. Weather?

Fill us in when you can.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
afghan said:
Results are Up!

Good Job Jeff 6th Place! (Trophy)

Sorry to see Aaron slip back. Weather?

Fill us in when you can.
Coned all his runs. He would have held ground (but not gained) had he run clean.

I wonder if Aaron will be selling me all his stuff this winter...

Scott

·
Registered
157 Posts
Bill Loring said:
From what I heard, a protest was upheld against Mark Allen. Apparently he had called a mechanical to change his tires, just before he was scheduled to run. This is not yet reflected in the posted results, but was posted at the protest shed, from what I am told.

FYI, I managed to change my tires between 1st and 2nd runs (thanks in part to a bit of help from Jason Minehart!), and the guys gridded before and after me also changed their tires between runs. No mechanical was required.

I read the supps, and it seemed pretty clear to me that asking for a mechanical to change tires during drying conditions would be frowned upon by the officials, not to mention the rest of the competitors.

What Allen and McCrispin did CLEARLY violated good gamesmanship, not to mention, they should have been disqualified from the entire event IMO for trying to gain a CLEAR competitive edge through a mechanical. I would hope that at least, McCrispins run would also be disqualified since he ran a good 10-15 minutes after he should have. I gaurantee you it was a team decision by the two to attempt a delay by calling a mechanical. Heck, I could have changed my tires 3 times between runs if I had to!!!

Bill, congrats on the 7th place trophy! I consider McCrispin's last run nullified regardless of what they decide, heck, anyone would have gained more time if they had ran at the end of the heat after all the EML, STSL and other cars in our heat!! Oh well.

Also, congrats to my Co-driver Ryan Barnard(this is Ryan's ID, I borrowed it for this post) with a much improved 12th place in GS, only 1 spot out of the trophy's!!!

I borrowed Ryan's ID here to make the post.(thanks Ryan)

Craig Wilcox

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am home!! WOOHOO! It is pouring rain. I like it here.
We stayed and helped our teammate(s) in SS to a tear jerking victory.
We cleaned and sprayed tires, swept area every run etc.
It was an amazing race.
I wish I would of gotten a picture of the car coming up to the line for the championship run with lightning going off in distance.
SO COOL LOOKING!
Lots of emotion pouring out from many people.
The guy did his time and now is going to get his jacket.

GS stuff:
I am surprised that car 184 did not lose last runs since that # was on the protest sheet.
What was protested was the SCCA procedures and you can't protest a "delay of event" so maybe that is why only car 84 got last run deleted?

We have some concrete events planned for next year to do setup work. That was the first time car has touched a concrete surface.
I am thinking of going to rear toe out. I was at 0 toe and thought it would be enough. Sucked day 1 but probably helped day 2 in the wet.

Congrats to everyone especially Carpenter! Lots of people driving their hearts out.

I was VERY glad to meet everyone and hang out. Lots of good dinners and visits to various businesses that were enjoyable;-)

FM

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I drove the worse I have ever driven! The car was not handling well at all on Tues after I took the wrong advice on adjustment. I drove extremely conservative, trying to feel out the car's needs for Donna rather than going for a good time for myself, but still didn't give her what she needed, so she was .4 sec in the hole going into the second day. I would have run on Azenis in the wet had we had them, dirt stockers weren't the best tire on Wed's drying conditions, plus I DNF'd my two much better times by picking up the wrong cone as the easy gate in the middle of the dragstrip. (KICK KICK KICK!)
Donna was very upset that she blew her last two Wed runs as well, braking late on a bump, which locked up the wheels on the second run, and then listening to bad advice from an Evo instructor slowed down on her third. Oh well, next year we'll be doing a LOT of concrete events before Topeka. (and not listening to anyone else...)
Mike and Shelby and Bridgette drove very well!
Congrats to all, especially Rob C. for showing us all how to drive in the wet.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I want to add that I would love it if they/we would do something about the degraded surface conditions.
Steve Johnson said that a plan is in the works to do something.
That place is FALLING APART!
There is crumbling concrete everywhere AND the courses were designed to take advantage of the "best" concrete but there were many places where repairs were needed between runs.
There were places on the north course to the left of the fast section that IMO if you went off, you would be needing 4 new tires.
FM

1 - 20 of 38 Posts