NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been postponing this for the longest time but I finally got myself to start. The poor little '84 Crown was just sitting gathering dust awaiting a 6M-GE swap but for the next couple of months until April it's gonna get some revamping. Just thought I'd share the work in progress. I obviously love me these boats, not something the average NC member would look forward to but here goes.
The project in a nutshell consists of swapping the 6M-GE/A340E combo of the donor car into the '84 Crown, doing a rear disc brake conversion and adding the factory original alloy wheels to the package. Of course the 6M-GE will get some goodies in the process ;)

Before the wash.

After the wash.

Celica, '84 Crown and '86 donor car (which I got for $350).

This is what's currently in the car: a 2.8l SOHC 12-valve carburated 5M engine producing a measly 125hp and 145 lb-ft.

This is what's going in: the fairly rare 3.0l DOHC 12-valve 6M-GE producing 190hp and 191 lb-ft. Will be pushing more than that of course after I/P/H/E. Looks pretty crude now, but stay tuned for the before and after pics.

·
Oh Hai
4,252 Posts
good luck and keep us updated

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
good luck and keep us updated
Will do, I'm starting some serious work on sunday, pics will follow.

do the 1jz swap in that beast
Would be an easy swap, basically custom mounts and driveshaft. The M-series engine was the forefather of the JZ. That is another future project however, swapping a 2JZ-GTE into a JZS133 Crown.

Nice project.

I thought your Crown was a tan color, but it isn't!
Now lets see some pictures of that donor motor, cleaned.
The color code is 4E3, I call it champagne, it's a little bit of a creamish silver. You'll have some pics of the donor motor cleaned by next week, as well as the factory alloys polished. Not planning too much for the engine, but I will dress it up nicely. Basically an intake (w/Supra AFM housing), Pacesetter header, portmatching the intake runners and a custom exhaust to bump the power output by some 20 horses. It's a luxury cruiser so I'm not looking to make it loud, just a bit faster.

Besides these the car will get new brakes and booster all around and a completely renewed steering system. I already took care of the body, it will only get some minor cosmetics inside and out.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
that **** would be funny with a BOV let alone an exhaust...true sleeper hahaha

goodluck, looks like fun dude haha

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
cressida FTW!

·
Banned
9,353 Posts
Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
good luck dude

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Project has continued, engine has been freed of clutter. Harness is dismantled and put aside, intake and plenum are gone as well as distributor, radiator shroud and fan, starting to look a bit better. Engine is probably coming out over the next weekend. I totally love the fact that the headbolts on this engine are right out there in the valley between the two camshaft housings. Less work for me :D

Alas, ran into my first problem: Fire damage to the harness. The engine harness can be restored for the most part, I just need new injectors with their wires to slice into the existing harness. Tranny harness however is toast, will probably need to source something from a MA60-series Supra.

Got myself to do one alloy too, an hour's worth of wet sanding. Not something I am looking forward to be doing, as there are 4 more left.
Before

After

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yeah i can't wait to see more of this! nice clean up, how did it get so dusty? did it really sit their un touched for that long!?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^Pretty much what 3 years of being out there and exposed to the elements will do to any car.

On the more funny side I'll tell you about the organic remains I found so far: The remains of a Blausana (blue lizard) curled over the AFM bracket, two steak bones wedged around each engine mount, a couple of small bones over the injectors, a plier and a live nest of wasps, killed some 20 of them.

·
Super Moderator
46,778 Posts
Best o' luck! Your Crown reminds me of my old 1968 Cressida that I had in high school. I miss it sometimes. Looking forward to the updates.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts