NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just finished up our customers auto GT turbo 1zz build.

You can read and see the build pics here:

http://www.ddperformanceresearch.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=73

The final dyno:

Engine bay shots:

Exterior shots:

The car is actually fun to drive now. It's quite fast and boost response isn't very bad at all. The long gear's of the auto trans makes a 2nd gear pull very fun !

The wilwood big brake kit is actually very impressive. The stopping power is miles better than the stock brakes, and it doesn't upset the balance on the car at all.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Yep - Jason said it best - its a stock internals 1ZZ auto that is actually fun to drive. I didn't think I would ever see the day!

The Wilwood brakes we installed are insane, the car inerior, exterior and engine bay all look fantastic, and its actually pretty darn quick.

In case you were wondering what the shiny bits in the engine compartment are, it has a custom DDPR dual chamber catch can, a custom DDPR ECU and swap harness box and a custom axle back setup as well.

The TK.com DP was modified to clear the motor mount, the flex pipe was replaced with a segmented style (not stranded style) to keep it from collapsing in, and the midpipe was welded together instead of using the supplied crush clamps and all junctions are now handled with V band clamps. All Manifold, turbo and DP fastners are ARP SS studs as well.

In short, its the cleanest TK.com GT you are likely to see.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
Do mine.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Don't want to ruffle too many feathers here but there's no way that brake kit stops any better than stock rotors with upgraded pads... Even with stock pads it's the tires that limit braking distances-not the rotor size. And before some chimes in about heat dissipation, it's going to take way more than 220whp before heatsoak on the rotors could ever become an issue with an appropriate pad.

That said: the larger rotors do look good with the upgraded rim size. Oh and Traklites ftw! (assuming I'm not mistaken) Power level should make for a fun ride. Nice work!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't want to ruffle too many feathers here but there's no way that brake kit stops any better than stock rotors with upgraded pads... Even with stock pads it's the tires that limit braking distances-not the rotor size. And before some chimes in about heat dissipation, it's going to take way more than 220whp before heatsoak on the rotors could ever become an issue with an appropriate pad.

That said: the larger rotors do look good with the upgraded rim size. Oh and Traklites ftw! (assuming I'm not mistaken) Power level should make for a fun ride. Nice work!
He has KDW2s. He had aftermarket pads before I think, and slotted rotors, but it is a non ABS car and wouldn't even lock the tires. (also had horrible vibration from warped rotors) Now, it will lock em easy if you want it to.

You are correct though - the initial "bite" and improved pedal feel are what makes it seem like it is stopping so fast, but I am certain that a healthy stock setup could match the actual stopping distance at least once. (doubt it could do it repeatedly though)

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Ah crap - last 2 posts were mine - didn't realize Illusive was still logged in on the office computer.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
Everything looks badass :headbang: I can't wait to drive it! I really do appreciate all the time and effort you guys put into my car. I can honestly say NO ONE else could have handled everything as well as you guys did.

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
He has KDW2s. He had aftermarket pads before I think, and slotted rotors, but it is a non ABS car and wouldn't even lock the tires. (also had horrible vibration from warped rotors) Now, it will lock em easy if you want it to.

You are correct though - the initial "bite" and improved pedal feel are what makes it seem like it is stopping so fast, but I am certain that a healthy stock setup could match the actual stopping distance at least once. (doubt it could do it repeatedly though)
Yea I had PowerSlot rotors and TRD pads, they were really disappointing. Plus after a while they wrapped ridiculously bad.

Sure - send car and money. :D
And make sure your kit includes all the correct parts and nothing is missing.... it will really save a lot of time and money ;):gap:

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car is an awesome sleeper now. You can not see the FMIC from outside the car because it's black and that we were able to angle it to prevent cutting the grille plastics out, also the black piping really blends in at the fog light holes.

About the only thing you can see exterior wise is the drop, wheels and big brake kit.

Then when you pop the hood it has a very clean factory look (what we were going for), with a tad bit of DDPR flare :D

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
Welcome to the family my Auto turbo friend :love:
:wave:

The car is an awesome sleeper now. You can not see the FMIC from outside the car because it's black and that we were able to angle it to prevent cutting the grille plastics out, also the black piping really blends in at the fog light holes.

About the only thing you can see exterior wise is the drop, wheels and big brake kit.

Then when you pop the hood it has a very clean factory look (what we were going for), with a tad bit of DDPR flare :D
Im really glad you guys made it work, next Im going to get custom mesh made to cover up the fog light holes. Also the number one question Im going to hear when I pop the hood is " Whats that shiny thing?" :gap:

·
Registered
772 Posts
Looking good Alonzo! Great numbers on the AT!

We just finished up our customers auto GT turbo 1zz build.

The car is actually fun to drive now. It's quite fast and boost response isn't very bad at all. The long gear's of the auto trans makes a 2nd gear pull very fun !

The wilwood big brake kit is actually very impressive. The stopping power is miles better than the stock brakes, and it doesn't upset the balance on the car at all.

·
o-NO_oB-x
2,920 Posts
Sure - send car and money. :D
How much for eveverything? Ballpark figure. I don't think I'd want to do the same thing to my celica,but I'm trying to pick up either an mr2-s or mkii mr2

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
How much for eveverything? Ballpark figure. I don't think I'd want to do the same thing to my celica,but I'm trying to pick up either an mr2-s or mkii mr2
shoot us an e-mail to [email protected] with your info, type of vehicle, and performance goals, desired power level, normal useage (drag, autox, road race, street race, highway - whatever) and we will get you an appropriate quote put together. If you want us to price the TK.com install then please indicate which kit you want to use.

Regardless of which you choose I will reccomend Power FC for your engine management - you have a 5 speed so there is no reason to waste time on piggybacks.

·
Un-Registered User
1,327 Posts
All I have to say is.... the ride home was fvcking awesome!!! Damn my car is super fun to drive now and no more waiting for 5miles of clearance before I decide to pass someone :D

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.