NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2000 GT is an automatic and when I shift out of park to reverse, the shifter sometimes slips down into neutral or drive without pushing the button down. Then when I try to shift from reverse to drive it'll get stuck in neutral and then i have to push it down into drive. Also, it locks itself into reverse only if I go from neutral or drive up to reverse but not coming out of park. Those aren't that big of a deal, the big problem is when I'm driving, even a small bump of the shifter can put it into neutral or reverse without pushing down the button on top. I took it apart and was looking, there's a pin that locks out when it gets into a gear, but it won't lock out on reverse, neutral or drive so the shifter can just slide back and forth at will. It's kinda scary on the highway when I try to accelerate and nothing happens because my shifter got bumped into neutral.

Thanks for any help or ideas

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
its normal for the shifter to go from R through N into D without pushing the button, its also normal to go from D to N without the button. it should not go from N to R without the button. but can go down into D

make sense?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya, I wasn't sure because a lot of times when I try to shift into drive I get caught in neutral and I've never done that on another car before. If it's not supposed to go from N to R without the button then what could be the problem there?

·
Premium Member
18,039 Posts
There's a little tab that you can open that's located right by the shifter. Inside is a button that will allow you to freely shift in and out of Park (P). This could also allow you to shift back up into Reverse (R) if the button is depressed, maybe by dirt.

Check it out and inspect it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took it to a buddy of mine that works at toyota and he said something along the lines of that locking pin and something else was broken. Put in the new parts and it's working like a champ, only $10

Thanks for your help guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.