NewCelica.org Forum banner

121 - 140 of 141 Posts

·
Finally Spooling
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
THREAD REVIVAL!!

haha, it's been a long time since I've been on NewCelica.org....

Celi has been through a lot, but still love it. Going to be pulling the motor - the clutch and flywheel and axles all need some replacement. That turbo has taken it's toll on them.

I also am going to be making a custom intake for the turbo to relocate the airfilter where the battery is. Then the battery is going in the trunk.

Not sure how active this forum is still, but I'm going to be posting more updates once we get started.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I've been running a 1601 for the past two years now almost without a hiccup, but I do keep it floated at 13.5 volts when the car isn't going to be used for more than a couple days at a time. It takes about 4-5 days to drain it down below safe voltage, I let it die on me once but it's been fine since. The 2ZZ isn't a hard engine to start anyway, but I like that I could literally tuck the battery away almost anywhere because it's so small and it doesn't care if it's upside down or anything.

·
Finally Spooling
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Would you mind sending me pics of how you have it setup in your trunk?

Trying to figure out where to mount it....

Also, I love that my sig is still your quote hahah

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Oh no, I'm far too lazy to mount the battery in the trunk. I stuck it in the factory spot actually just to make sure it works...2 years ago. I've been meaning to like...lay it over on it's side or mount it nicer or something but just haven't gotten around to it. With a battery that small there's really no need to trunk mount it though, it should fit tucked into the side of the batter area with room for the intake and air filter there too.

·
Finally Spooling
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Well since the turbo setup puts the airfilter in the worst spot ever, i was going to make a custom intake tube to put the filter where the battery is. Itd be nice to remove the ugliness of a battery and have a cool shroud or something. To cover the tray and the ecu or something.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Ah yea in that case relocate. I'm just lazy. You could probably build a mount to hold that battery UNDER the factory tray and not even need to relocate or run cabling. :lol:

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I don't know how I missed your build but everything looks great. Cant wait to see whats next. I might end up sending you a few pm's haha

·
Finally Spooling
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I don't know how I missed your build but everything looks great. Cant wait to see whats next. I might end up sending you a few pm's haha
Thanks! It's been a while since I've updated it, so it got hidden pretty good.

and for sure, let me know if you have questions about anything.

·
Finally Spooling
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
MWR Lightweight Flywheel (used) and ACT Clutch (new) (http://www.advancedclutch.com/tc2-xtss) ordered.
Going to get ARP bolts for the flywheel as well.

Anyone ever replace the bushings on the control arms? Is it a pain in the butt?
Also, any good links to OEM replacements would be handy. Otherwise I'll order via Toyota dealer.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
It's a pain in the butt. I used a hole saw and cut mine out, I was worried about screwing up the hardness of the arms heating them too much, also burning them out is a foul smokey nasty mess unless you have an oxygen setup, then you can blow through them like cutting steel, but that's still messy. The big bushings I cut the centers out with the hole saw then scraped/ground out the rest of the rubber. The smaller ones I cut through most of the way and then pushed them out with a press.

The really hard part is getting the new stuff in. I think I used a soda can like a funnel to constrain the bushing as I pressed it in. The rear bushings are easier if your bolts come apart, mine did not. Lots of cutting with the torch back there.

·
Finally Spooling
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I was worried about screwing up the hardness of the arms heating them too much
You think Powdercoating the arms is going to screw anything up? I really want to get them done to restore the looks of things down there. I wanted to match the 'gold' color from the BC coilovers...

There are ways of pressing them out and in with out using a large shop press.
I wonder if a piston ring compressor would do the trick...?

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Powder runs like 300-400 degrees right? Not thousand something for burning out bushings.

·
Finally Spooling
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
What did bc say?
I ended up having them make me super short cartridges and got shorter springs. I have no issues with the setup anymore. I love it.

I just learned this in school. Changing metal structure significantly only happens when it gets nearly red hot. At least for steel and aluminum.
Well that settles that :) Thanks!

121 - 140 of 141 Posts