NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm on my way home and see some hids shining coming up on the other side of the road. It turns out to be a black S2000 and he's turning on the same road I am. I went out of my way and decided to follow him.

I switch lanes and drive beside him and he downshifts and punches it. I just follow him because I want to go from a start. Well we finally line up, I ask him if he wants to race, hes game. I tell him that I know i'll get smoked, but I want to see his S2000 go. He is stock and has a passenger. I am alone and have i/e and a shortshifter.

Light turns green and he gets the jump. I'm barely at his bumper when we start out. I run through first quick and am running even with him. I shift into 2nd and gain on him, by the end of 2nd he is at my bumper. Then I am in 3rd and im just still pullin. I was waiting for him to catch up, but it didnt happen! I was going 85 and hes 1.5 carlengths back and not making up any lost ground so I shut it down, and give him a thumbs up.

I slow down and they drive up to me looking all shocked (i was probably as surprised as they were) and ask me what I did to my car. I said intake and exhaust. And they were like, thats it? Probably thought I was squeezin or something.

I ask him if he wants to run again for the hell of it, and he agrees. The next signal is red and we line up. It turns green, I dump the clutch at 4k, and get a sweet start with good reaction, so I was a tad ahead of him from the start, and slowly pulled on him all the way through, I was going 60, and I see him in my mirror slow down and cut a fast left into a housing tract. Guess he had enough.

They were cool guys though. I just think the driver didnt know his car very well. I was powershifting and going up to 8300 rpms. I know with the S2000 its tricky to drive it to its potential. I But regardless, I was stoked that I won!

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's a great run! You pulled a car length in first gear, another car length in second gear, and another 1/2 car length in third. That's a pretty convincing win. I've learned in another recent thread in this forum that even though S2000's are capable of high 13's in the quarter mile, an extra passenger seems to really kill their performance.

I was just wondering what would have happened if a GT lined up next to you guys. Based on how the GT compares to the GT-S, I'm starting to think that maybe the GT is pretty evenly matched against an S2000 with a passenger. Anyone want to place bets on how long it will take for a GT owner to post a kill story of an S2000?

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
unless the S2000 driver was completely incompetent, it should pull away from the GT. if not in 1st or 2nd, then definitely in 3rd where horsepower makes a bigger difference.

i can see a GT launching on one maybe and having it for 1st and if it's got enough mods like the new 8whp header, 2nd.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi bat, welcome to our board!

It isnt so much an extra passenger that cripples the performance, since the S2000 is a very lightweight car to begin with, its the fact that the driver has to be skilled and familiar with the car to get all the performance, especially for a 13 sec qm run. If they granny shift, they arent getting anywhere near those times.

I'm assuming the driver in the S2000 I ran wasn't very skilled since he should have beat me. You can call BS you can call me a liar and bust out your whitty sarcasm, thats just fine. But i'm just telling what happened. If I lost to the guy I would have posted it, as I have posted losses in the past. I race for fun, so it doesn't matter to me who wins or loses.

Don't underestimate driver skills. Any good street racer will have atleast one experience of outrunning a car that is faster than them. It happens, deal with it.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I raced my friends S2000 and lost every time and he had a passenger to try to make it more fair. I lost by at least 4-7 carlengths each time. If the driver knows how to drive, The gt-s will lose no matter if the s2k has a passenger or not. We were both stock at the time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes you sniffed out the sarcasm in my reply, but it wasn't aimed at your story. When I said that you pulling constantly from first through third gears was a "convincing" win, that's what I meant. When you race another guy, and you keep pulling on him all the way, your car is faster than his - that's not so hard to believe. Now, if you see-saw back and forth with the other guy, that's usually indicative of poor shifting on someone's part. You pulled on him all the way, and that suggests to me that not only were you faster than the S2000, it also tells me that he wasn't blowing his shifts.

Like I said in my post, my sarcasm is directed at X-Evil-X's post where he put 1.5 car lengths on an S2000 from a 20mph roll up to 65 mph. The result of that race was explained away with the S2000's passenger (extra weight) and "granny" shifting. That race didn't involve a standing launch (we all know that an S2000 can be beat from a standstill because it is hard to launch properly) and it involved at most 1 shift (weakening the "granny" shifting theory). The only other factor in that story was an extra 150lbs in the S2000. Frankly, 150lbs is not nearly enough to counteract the S2000's power advantage, especially by 1.5 car lengths.

But help me out here - not enough GT guys brag about their races, so I know very little about how fast the GT is. I've heard plenty of guys on this board admit that a GT can beat a GT-S if the GT-S shifts poorly and keeps falling off the upper cam. I've also learned from X-Evil-X that a GT-S can put 1.5 car lengths on an S2000 from a 20mph roll (I have yet to hear evidence that the S2000 was poorly driven). If I'm being overly sarcastic to draw my conclusion about the GT vs. S2000, then maybe something doesn't hold water.

For the most part, as I read your last post, I found myself nodding my head in agreement. Yes, drivers skill can be a very important factor, especially when the driver is called on to do more than mash the throttle and keep the car pointed straight. No offense meant.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Better Driver?

Hmmm...looks like this one came down to the better driver. For the record I've seen S2000's smoke GT's, and they are capable, if the driver knows his car, of beating the GT-S as well.

Not trying to call BS, but you still won, which is what matters.

·
Registered
19 Posts
take it lightly...that's all...:)

X-Evil-X...

You must not have read my posts correctly bud...:p

All I am going to say in this post is a simple comment...and u people can agree with me or not agree with me...

To launch the S2000...you must know exactly what you are doing...otherwise you will bog like a mother! If he wasn't launching at 7500rpms and dropping the clutch...then he doesn't know how to race the S2000 from a stop very well...and no offense by this remark...but that's probably how you won! But hey...as you said...a win's a win!!!! But...like I have previously said...dont expect the same results when you find someone that knows how to drive the car...!

Now...Diesel949X...what is with ur reply...?
For the record I've seen S2000's smoke GT's, and they are capable, if the driver knows his car, of beating the GT-S as well.
The S2000 will SMOKE a Celica GT...whether the driver knows how to drive the S2000 or not...I had a GT...so I know this...
And...they are not capable of beating GT-S's...they will beat GT-S's if the driver knows how to drive...not capable...but will...

I just wish that someone would run into a S2000 with a driver that actually knows how to drive their cars!!!! That's it on this topic...:D

·
Registered
292 Posts
balstofo has a GTS not a GT. I believe him when he says he won. I've seen worse performances by guys with better cars than the S2000. A lot of times they are older dudes who don't utilize high revvin' probably due to the fact they are used to driving high low end torque cars.

Batoutahell said:

But help me out here - not enough GT guys brag about their races, so I know very little about how fast the GT is. I've heard plenty of guys on this board admit that a GT can beat a GT-S if the GT-S shifts poorly and keeps falling off the upper cam. I've also learned from X-Evil-X that a GT-S can put 1.5 car lengths on an S2000 from a 20mph roll (I have yet to hear evidence that the S2000 was poorly driven). If I'm being overly sarcastic to draw my conclusion about the GT vs. S2000, then maybe something doesn't hold water.

For the most part, as I read your last post, I found myself nodding my head in agreement. Yes, drivers skill can be a very important factor, especially when the driver is called on to do more than mash the throttle and keep the car pointed straight. No offense meant.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by luv2rev
To launch the S2000...you must know exactly what you are doing...otherwise you will bog like a mother! If he wasn't launching at 7500rpms and dropping the clutch...then he doesn't know how to race the S2000 from a stop very well...and no offense by this remark...but that's probably how you won! But hey...as you said...a win's a win!!!! But...like I have previously said...dont expect the same results when you find someone that knows how to drive the car...!
This is true, but I don't really think his launching was the problem. I mean the first run I had with him he beat me off the line, so he should have stayed ahead right? I think that the guy just couldnt keep it in the powerband. Isn't the S2000 hard to keep in the powerband like the gt-s? I was under the impression that the S2000 should have great launches because its rwd.

Originally posted by luv2rev
I just wish that someone would run into a S2000 with a driver that actually knows how to drive their cars!!!!
Me too :) Aside from that guy I ran with, I rode a few times with my old co worker in his S2000 and he drove it granny style. And its almost like an ordinary car unless you drive hardcore. We got killed by my other co worker in his cobra on the way to lunch. Of course the cobra is faster, but he couldnt hang at all.

Well i'll probably go to pomona soon, and i'm sure i'll see some S2000 drivers that know what they're doing.

BTW: X-Evil-X

nice kill man :)
you know where i'm coming from

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: take it lightly...that's all...:)

luv2rev said:

Now...Diesel949X...what is with ur reply...?

The S2000 will SMOKE a Celica GT...whether the driver knows how to drive the S2000 or not...I had a GT...so I know this...
And...they are not capable of beating GT-S's...they will beat GT-S's if the driver knows how to drive...not capable...but will...

I just wish that someone would run into a S2000 with a driver that actually knows how to drive their cars!!!! That's it on this topic...:D
I said the S2000 will smoke a GT if the driver knows his car. What I meant by that is what you just said. I wasn't trying to flame.

As far as the GT-S, if the driver of the S2K knows what he is doing, the S2K will win. It is capable, if driven properly. But of course not everyone has tapped into the performance of their cars.

Again, this was never meant to be a flame. Yes, Celicas have beaten S2K's. But it also comes down to the driver.

Anyone care to post the S2K specs?

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
an s2000 should beat a GTS. Tho it holds true that you cant win them all.

the only thing I can see with the GTS keeping ground on a S2000 is if the GTS shifts at cut off and the S2000 shifts below cut off because of the similar lift. Obviously the s2000 having more of it!

As for the GT pulling on a GTS from a stop. Even if he shifts somewhat slow the VVTL-i should make up for all of it. Im not gonna get into mod vs mod really, but a stock GTS should beat a GT with mods (not including NOS/SC/Turbo).

Oh and maybe if the GTS misses a gear. I have raced my friends Auto GTS from a dead stop on the road and I skipped second and went straight to third and pulled ahead of him in lift in third. I have also raced him at the track and its just a slaughter. I have also raced my friends GT 5 speed with Intake at the track and pulled on him once I hit VVTL-i I beat him by almost a second. both having decent runs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts