NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6th gen celica and I'm looking to upgrade to a 7th gen now. I've read up on lift and differences between the GT and GT-S and the power each makes.

My question is pretty specific though:
I don't ever take my car over 5k rpm so my question is, does the GT-S only make its extra 40hp after 6k rpm or does it have more power throughout the entire powerband? I'm not looking to race, would just like a reasonably quick daily driver. I will get it in Auto trans.

Thanks! Can't wait to be part of the 7th gen community!

·
is killing Hondas
431 Posts
If you don't take your RPM's higher than 5k then you are better off getting the GT. The GT-S only makes that extra 40 hp after 6000 RPM's. It is what you call lift. And if auto definitely get the GT. And by no means is an automatic GT will be a quick daily driver, weight reduction helps but still be slow.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
For your purposes get the GT. If possible get a 2003+ which should have the updated pistons for the 1ZZ-FE. Earlier versions have been known for oil consumption issues.

·
@celicatoast
1,623 Posts
If you don't take your RPM's higher than 5k then you are better off getting the GT. The GT-S only makes that extra 40 hp after 6000 RPM's. It is what you call lift. And if auto definitely get the GT. And by no means is an automatic GT will be a quick daily driver, weight reduction helps but still be slow.
I kinda disagree, I own both a GT and GTS and find the GTS to have some more power throughout the ban.

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
The GTS is much smoother throughout the power band. BUT it does somewhat lose power between 5 and 6, at 6100-6200 the power increase dramatically

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I've own both GT and GTS, GT auto and GTS 6 speed. :)

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
I will get it in Auto trans
Get a GT 03+. :)

IF you decided to get a GTS auto. A few con(S). it's about the same, or slower vs the GT because the GT has a little bit more Tq then the GTS. GTS require to drive pass 6k rpm to see the extra 40hp. also it require Premium gas.

GT only use regualr gas, you save some $$.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I made a rough graph to compare the power numbers between the two cars. Of course numbers are only part of the story as you have to take other things such as gearing into account. You can see from the graph that up to 3000 rpm both engines are about the same. The 1ZZ has a clear advantage over the 2ZZ between 3000 and 6000 rpm which is good for daily driving. Once lift kicks in though the 2ZZ blows the 1ZZ out of the water with more power and over a longer rev range.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info! The graph really helps to see what's going on at the different revs, as not everyone drives their cars the same. I think I'll go with a 2003+ Auto GT. I might test drive a Manual GT just to see the difference, but I think a Auto will feel pretty quick compared to my 6th Gen ST.

Any tips on common problems that I should look for when buying? (for instance when I had a Miata pretty much all of them had lazy driver side window motors hehe)

Thanks everyone! I love the Celi community!

·
You know nothing.
2,142 Posts
also it require Premium gas.

GT only use regualr gas, you save some $$.
The amount of money you save by using either premium vs. unleaded gas for a GT-S vs GT is directly proportional to how much pressure you apply to the gas pedal with your foot.

Try shifting at no more than 2.5k rpms every time, and you'll see the whole "saving money by not using premium gas" argument goes out the window.

I regularly get over 500 miles between fill-ups.

Efficiency. That's what it's all about.
Regard: 2way's driving technique thread.
Thanks 2way! :wave:

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,392 Posts
Thanks 2way!
You're very welcome.

Given my unfortunate experience, while against MPG recommendations, I now recommend a slightly heavier oil for a bit more oil pressure. There tends to be more bearing wear at low RPM than at high. Other stuff wears at high RPM. lol

·
You know nothing.
2,142 Posts
You're very welcome.

Given my unfortunate experience, while against MPG recommendations, I now recommend a slightly heavier oil for a bit more oil pressure. There tends to be more bearing wear at low RPM than at high. Other stuff wears at high RPM. lol
Would this also be a recommendation you make for older vehicles; specifically, one that is 13 years old and still running on all original OEM parts?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
The GT is the better of the 2 when it comes down to auto-x. That higher and consistent torque curve on the low end is just a big enough advantage for a GT to out run a GTS.

The GTS has more potential out of the gate when it comes to road course. If you can spend the $$$ getting it to 200WHP it would be fun and mean track car.

Bottom line:
Daily driver - it does not matter if its a GT or GTS.
Accept 10+ year old car for what it is.

But what I can say for the OP... you should get better fuel economy than a 6th gen.

I regularly get over 500 miles between fill-ups.

Efficiency. That's what it's all about.
Regard: 2way's driving technique thread.
Thanks 2way! :wave:
I have still yet to not push the car for 1 full tank on regular roads. I am getting roughly 32-30MPG on a MWR 6 speed GT. I do average 12MPG at the track. Compared to the Nissan GTR (3.0 MPG) that's pretty damn good. :D

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,392 Posts
Would this also be a recommendation you make for older vehicles; specifically, one that is 13 years old and still running on all original OEM parts?
Definitely!! I'd say High Mileage oil even..... it is thicker, higher detergency, and probably additives for seals.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
brakes

Thanks for the info! It seems one of the biggest differences aside from power is having disc brakes in the back on a GTS. I just test drove a GT and the brakes felt really soft. Is it difficult to swap in discs for the rear instead of drums?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts