NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sold my 240sx (i still have my celica :laugh: ) and the guy hasnt payed me a single dime, I believe I have my bill of sale from when I bought the car and the title is still in my name since he never payed...it is a local accauintence of mine so its not in another state or anything. I have his phone number, name, I know where he lives and works...so on and so forth. The title (which is in my name still) he has in case he got pulled over, which happened a few times. So how do I go about getting the car back? If he isnt going to pay me any money then Im going to sell it to someone else but first I need to get the car back in my possession. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
You gave him the title and he didnt pay you? :laugh:

He probably already transfered it.

·
Registered
656 Posts
If he already transfered the title then you are screwed. I hope you didn't sign it over to him and have it notarized already.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
you should give him a hint of threat(not 100% threaten him) but let him know that if he dont pay in 1 week(or whaterver time frame you give him) you will call the cops...and if the cops dont scare him i swear if i were you ill go crazy and beat the **** out of him...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Like the others said...

You are an :idiot: Sorry...but I don't hold anything back... Personally, I wouldn't give the title to anyone I know (Except family)...

If you signed the title and bill of sale, then you are screwed. I'll take it one step further... If you signed the bill of sale and put a price down...it doesn't matter if you signed the title over to him yet because he now has proof that he gave you money because you signed the bill of sale with a price... Therefore, he can get around having you sign the title.

Wrong move man...but we learn from our mistakes. Calling the cops won't do a damn thing unless you didn't sign over the title or the bill of sale. Either way (if you signed the title or bill of sale) he has proof that he paid you and the transaction is complete! If you didn't sign anything, call the cops ASAP! If you did, then just bend over and move on bro! Sorry, but the truth hurts...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
You don't give him the title... you just get it registered in his name with you as owner. Thats all he needs if he gets pulled over. I don't know anybody who carries the title in the car with them. Hate to say it but I think you are fuked unless he is a straight-up guy. Why would you even let him have possession of it without him paying you if he is just an aquaintance? If he wrecked it or anything you would be SOL.

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you signed the title over and signed & notorized the bill of sale, you lose. Unless there are any open liens--in which case the lienholders and the county official have to release before the title can be transferred.

MI requires both seller and buyer to be present for the title transfer. Might wanna check for your state.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Kev...if there was a lienholder he wouldn't have the title to the car!

Blaze...we need information from you... Did you sign the title over? Did you make out a Bill of Sale for him and sign it? Is it still insured through you or does he have insurance on it??

·
Registered
280 Posts
Give him the warning, then call your lawyer. You're not screwed yet, but you will probably have to sue him for non-payment. Since he didn't pay you, you won't have a check number or anything on the bill of sale, so he'll need to prove he paid you (cancelled check, bank statement of a wire transfer, something). If he doesn't have that, you'll end up with legal bills, but can get your car or money. Tell him he's going to lose the car or money anyway, so unless he wants to pay legal fees on top of it, to do the right thing. Good luck.

·
Registered
195 Posts
2swft4u said:
Kev...if there was a lienholder he wouldn't have the title to the car!
Depends on the state. I'm in MI, and I have the title to my car w/ a lien--the bank's name is on it. Regardless, the transfer is not going to happen until the lienholder(s) release it.

2swft4u said:
Blaze...we need information from you... Did you sign the title over? Did you make out a Bill of Sale for him and sign it? Is it still insured through you or does he have insurance on it??
Right you are swft, we need more details. I think we're all assuming w/o actual information of what really went down.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Kev...my bad! I have never heard of having the title to the car while there is a lien on it...

·
Registered
911 Posts
I would also like to say that regardless of people saying you signed the bill of sale, you can still go to court and make him prove he payed...but that is a pain in the ass, and will take time and money, something I would make him aware of.
Violence is stupid and won't help, so be smart.

The police should be involved, but first, do you still have a key? I would just go GET the car myself.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Sky2king8 said:
The police should be involved, but first, do you still have a key? I would just go GET the car myself.
If the other guy is in legal posession of the car, this is a good way to get your ass thrown in jail for theft.

·
Registered
273 Posts
^^:werd:
the problem with taking him to court is that you really are going to have a hard time proving anything... True you dont have a check or anythign like that...but the guy can say he paid you in cash or made 2 payments to you in cash and you gave him the bill of sale... There is no trace on cash so good luck in proving that.
And like said above...if he has the car and it's insured and he has the bill of sale and you go and get it...you'll get put in jail. I'd do a carfax on the car and see if he titled the car in his name yet or not and go from there...

Again...we need more information!!!!

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.