NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my H&R Sport springs and KYB AGX adjustable shocks installed a few days ago. A couple things to be aware of with this combo:

1. I wasn't sure how stiff the KYB's would be so I told the shop to set them to the lowest setting to start off with. After driving for a day or two, I noticed the lowest setting is TOO SOFT for the H&R Sport springs, so I set out to adjust the shocks.

2. The front shocks are VERY easy to adjust. Pop the hood, remove the rubber cap from the top of the shocks, and adjust the dial with a small screwdriver. I adjusted the fronts to a setting of 2 out of a possible 4. 2 feels much better than 1 did. 1 felt bouncy. 2 feels tighter but not harsh.

3. I have NO CLUE how to access the adjustment knob for the rear shocks. I know it is from inside the trunk. I removed that plastic tray at the back of the trunk by the rear seats. I then saw a small hole, through which I saw what I THINK was the top of the rear shocks. But I could not see the knob, and there was a rubber boot covering the shock. I partialy removed the large side pannel in the trunk, but did not see anything promising so I stopped short of completely removing it.

Does anyone know how to adjust the rear shocks? Is there a tutorial with pictures anywhere? From KYB's claims, I was DEFINITELY expecting adjustment to be much easier than this. As it is, I may just have to go back to the shop and have them adjust them for me.

Also, the front shocks adjust from 1 through 4, while the rears I believe adjust from 1 through 8. Does anyone know if 4 in the front is the same stiffness as 8 in the rear? If so, I would have to set the rear to 4 in order to match the 2 that I set in the front. Correct?

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
you may have to remove the shock to get to it....but i dunno, my TEIN coilover has an adjustment knob on top of the rear strut, but the knob is pretty big and not hard to adjust.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
well it may have to be taken out to get adusted as said. i had my shop cut the trunk panels so i can stick my fingers in to adjust my teins. try taking out the panels first to see if you can stick ur finger in to adjust them.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

The shop I took my car to for the install tried to pull a fast one on me. The reason I was so confused is that they never installed the adjustment knobs. They kept them and never told me! I called them and they said there was not room for the adjustment knobs, and they still had them there at the shop. I told them I would call KYB and find out how to do it, and let them know. KYB said they should be able to install them without removing the shocks, but most people install them before mounting the shocks onto the car. Needless to say, I have an appointment tomorrow to have the rear shocks reinstalled *with* the adjustment knobs. What a bunch of fools! The guy on the phone even asked "why do you want to adjust them?"

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Damn that is a shiat. Is there any way you can go with the law on this. Damn that sounds like they were stealing it. Fools. I would ask them for a refund on install and take it elsewhere. Who knows what they'll do next.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The car is back at the shop right now. I think what happened is the bastards just got lazy. They got the shocks in and then couldn't fit their fat greasy hands in to attach the adjustment knobs. So instead they just gave up and hoped I wouldn't notice.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
let us know how it is when you get your car back. i was thinking about gettign that combo. but im thinking otherwise if i get stories like this.....

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
well i will be installing the KYB shocks in this weekend, any pointers or suggestion on installing them to make the install a sucess. I have skunk2 coilovers on at the moment. It shouldn't be too bad of an install. I will be using a torque wrench only...no access to a airgun, :( give me some advice, thanks.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I will be doing an H&R/KYB AGX install this weekend as well. All tips are appreciated and maybe some install pics. Thanks! I'll let you all know my review afterwards as well!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I got the car back. The knobs are on, and the rears are adjusted to a setting of 2. The ride and handling are much better now that the rears are not set to 1.

My first tip is don't set the KYB's to 1 if you have the H&R Sport springs. It will be bouncy. Set them to 2. I haven't gone higher than 2, but I think 3 & 4 might be too firm for daily use.

Regarding trimming the bumpstops... KYB said they should be trimmed according to the spring manufacturer's recomendations. H&R told me that as long as the KYB's are the same length as stock shocks (which KYB says they are), then we should *not* cut the bumpstops on the Celica. Other cars H&R makes Sports springs for require cutting bumpstops, but ours are designed to work with the stock bumpstops. The shop questioned me on why I told them not to cut the bumpstops. They said I would be hitting them so hard all the time, and that they always cut bumpstops with lower springs. But so far I have not had any problems with bad ride quality. I have driven over potholes, and railroad tracks, and uneven freeways, and never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Cool...I finally get an opportunity to spit some wisdom to someone...I've had the KYB AGX shocks since September or October...

When I had the shop install the shocks, they installed them without the knobs as well, and the shocks were set to 3, which gave me a headache...so I set about to figure out how to adjust them. The fronts were really easy, as was previously stated. The rears, however, were a different story. I ended up having to remove the plastics from inside the hatch area. (The picture above looks familiar) There isn't really much space to just reach in and install the knob, so I used needle nose pliers to install them. It took a while to find the right way to hold the knob with the pliers, so it was a bit problematic. **I suggest that you tie a string to the knob, so that if it falls, you can easily pull it out and try again.** I finally was able to place the knob on. I then used the pliers to grip the knob, push it down, and turn it. Once you turn it a little bit, you can finish the turn with your fingers, so you can feel the knob click when it hits the next setting. Also, the knob will pop up again. I just left the knobs installed onto both of the rear shocks, so now, I just have to remove the plastics and use pliers to adjust them. The hardest part about all of this, was removing the plastics. That's how easy it is. Just be patient, and the knob will go on without a problem. Also, make sure that once it's placed in position, just push down a little to make sure it's properly seated.

Problem solved.

If anyone has any specific questions or comments, make them in this thread. I will subscribe to this thread and check it to make sure I can answer any of your questions.

Before you guys ask about my impressions of the shocks, I like them a lot. Although they're stiffer than stock on even the lowest setting (1), they are not uncomfortable (unless you drive on crappy pavement or a hit a bump). Once the knobs are installed, it's very easy to make adjustments to the shocks. Just remember that you need a pair of needle nose pliers to make the rear adjustments, but it's really easy.

Lemme know if anyone has any questions,

Usman

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
wus up man, did you install the shocks yourself or did you have someone else install them for you? if you did it yourself, did you encounter any problems? or do you have any advice on installing them to make it less painful. Thanks for the review.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
To make the installation of "any" rear shock kind of pain less...

Remove all the panels
Remove bottom shock bolt
Remove three top bolts
Remove the lower sway bar link
And now the fun part, or the trick

Remove the three bolts on the front of the trailing arm, arm drops and the shock pretty much falls out.

To reinstall
install the three top bolts (not really tight)
install the lower bolt (tight)
tighten top bolts
lift trailing arm back into position (a small jack makes life easier)
install/tighten the bolts
re attach the sway bar.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
mirconrice said:
wus up man, did you install the shocks yourself or did you have someone else install them for you? if you did it yourself, did you encounter any problems? or do you have any advice on installing them to make it less painful. Thanks for the review.
I didn't install them myself, since I don't really have a place to do that kind of work. No problem about the review though...let me know if you have any more questions, although I can't see how you would. The shocks aren't really that hard to work with once everything's on them...

Usman

·
Registered
785 Posts
is there a respones to the original setting question? Since one has 4 settings and the other 8, do they correspond with one another? What is the best setting?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have mine set at 1 all the way around...I tried 3 then 2 as well, but I found them too stiff for Cincinnati roads...the handling is great though.

I would just use trial and error to find what settings YOU like the best...

Usman

1 - 20 of 44 Posts