NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can say it is all in all, happy to be alive mostly...I could have been gone this past December:

Rolled the MR2 Spyder 3 times after hitting a concrete base and light pole. First and hopefully last major accident ever.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Wow! Damn glad you even survived! Sorry for the pain and loss!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
You can say it is all in all, happy to be alive mostly...I could have been gone this past December:

Rolled the MR2 Spyder 3 times after hitting a concrete base and light pole. First and hopefully last major accident ever.
This is why you should never drink & drive

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^I'm a zero alcohol person so that doesn't apply to me.

I'm actually in the picture talking to the police officer in the background. I walked away from that accident. Everyone that saw it happen thought I'd be dead, since the top was down and there was no roll bar. The light pole curled right over my head and hit the engine lid edge behind me.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Da fuq happened?

I bet it still started and ran, probably drove it up onto the tow truck.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It all happened very fast but my best assessment was a combination of the bite of the LSD and a slick piece of road caused snap oversteer when I got on it. For some reason when I tried correcting the car just lifted sideways, which was a surprise since I have all the braces and fattest anti-roll bars you can imagine.

When the front hit the concrete base the car was thrown into the light pole and rolled three times after that. All I could do was hold on to the steering wheel as tight as I could and count the rolls. I can't recall when I lost my grip on the steering wheel.

It had to be pulled unto the truck because one of the rear wheels was stuck against the strut. It did start right up and ran perfectly and after I put the spare tire at the rear I could roll it up further into the garage. Amazingly nothing leaked anywhere.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Well that's a Toyota for ya.

Stiff bars may have contributed, a stiff rear bar will increase the tendency toward oversteer and a really stiff front bar will increase the chances of lifting an inside tire during a severe steering maneuver and locking brakes up front which will then worsen the oversteer and cause the car to just pivot right around a single tire. A different alignment or some softer bars may have helped out, something to consider moving forward. Really stiff suspension is very hard to control in situations like that if it's not setup just right.

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
Damn, your car reminds me of my wife's celica after she rolled it a few times.

Glad your okay Gio.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well that's a Toyota for ya.

Stiff bars may have contributed, a stiff rear bar will increase the tendency toward oversteer and a really stiff front bar will increase the chances of lifting an inside tire during a severe steering maneuver and locking brakes up front which will then worsen the oversteer and cause the car to just pivot right around a single tire. A different alignment or some softer bars may have helped out, something to consider moving forward. Really stiff suspension is very hard to control in situations like that if it's not setup just right.
Makes sense the way you put it. The TRD strut bar is pretty stiff, despite the chassis bending and twisting the bar sprang completely back to shape after I removed it. I put it on a perfectly flat surface and couldn't even tell it was deformed. The front sway bar is also considerably thicker than the stock one.

Glad your okay Gio.
Thnx

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
Wow, indeed. That looked real bad. I'm glad you're alive and well.

A testament to Toyota engineering and safety. :thumbup:

Happy and safe New Year!
^I'm a zero alcohol person so that doesn't apply to me.

I'm actually in the picture talking to the police officer in the background. I walked away from that accident. Everyone that saw it happen thought I'd be dead, since the top was down and there was no roll bar. The light pole curled right over my head and hit the engine lid edge behind me.
It all happened very fast but my best assessment was a combination of the bite of the LSD and a slick piece of road caused snap oversteer when I got on it. For some reason when I tried correcting the car just lifted sideways, which was a surprise since I have all the braces and fattest anti-roll bars you can imagine.

When the front hit the concrete base the car was thrown into the light pole and rolled three times after that. All I could do was hold on to the steering wheel as tight as I could and count the rolls. I can't recall when I lost my grip on the steering wheel.

It had to be pulled unto the truck because one of the rear wheels was stuck against the strut. It did start right up and ran perfectly and after I put the spare tire at the rear I could roll it up further into the garage. Amazingly nothing leaked anywhere.
Makes sense the way you put it. The TRD strut bar is pretty stiff, despite the chassis bending and twisting the bar sprang completely back to shape after I removed it. I put it on a perfectly flat surface and couldn't even tell it was deformed. The front sway bar is also considerably thicker than the stock one.

Thnx
I'm surprised to see you didn't credit God or divine intervention at all.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^Most of the folks on here, you included, know me already as a devout Christian so it is a given that I'd be thankful to God for my life. The car did what it was designed to do, I had my seat belt on which kept me in my seat and I wasn't driving some crazy speed, so no surprises there and no need to credit God for those.

But since you bring it up :gap: : Where I definitely credit God's intervention (and I brushed it a little in the post) is how the light pole did hit the front frame corner, buckled in the windshield frame, hit the spot right behind my head on the decklid edge in the same diagonal line but did not hit my head. It was instead curled like a fishing hook.

·
Banned
1,864 Posts
^Most of the folks on here, you included, know me already as a devout Christian so it is a given that I'd be thankful to God for my life. The car did what it was designed to do, I had my seat belt on which kept me in my seat and I wasn't driving some crazy speed, so no surprises there and no need to credit God for those.

But since you bring it up :gap: : Where I definitely credit God's intervention (and I brushed it a little in the post) is how the light pole did hit the front frame corner, buckled in the windshield frame, hit the spot right behind my head on the decklid edge in the same diagonal line but did not hit my head. It was instead curled like a fishing hook.

That's what I figured, but it's been a while so I thought I'd ask just in case you might have switched sides. :chuckles:

Nonetheless, good to see you're alright.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts