NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was looking at the service manual to adjust valve clearance. it looks complicated. it requires taking the timing chain off. so i called 2 dealers. they mentioned it's a full day job, and from the sound of it, it's not something they usualy do.

so, question is.. has anyone adjusted valve clearance?
(GTS, but GT is somewhat similar)

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
Its one of the biggest pain in the a** jobs Ive ever done to a car. DO NOT TRY IT AT HOME :)

Seriously find a dealership to do it for you unless you find yourself very mechanically inclined.

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
You are correct, what you actually adjust is the valve shims. They are little tiny caps that sit on top of the retainers. Its hard to explain but you have to use a feeler gauge, and get the right caps for each spot. Its alot of work.

What makes you think you have to adjust this?

·
Registered
599 Posts
is it critical if i don't replace them? cuz i got that ticking sound too.....dealer was going to charge me 900 bucks...i said f-ck that!!! i figure it's not a big deal so i went

·
635RWHP / 550RWTQ
8,659 Posts
all celicas tick.

·
Registered
427 Posts
you can just pull the valve cover off and see if they NEED to be replaced. Also larry they have changed how the shim adjustment process is done but its not any easier unless your each set (2) of valves is at the same height.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
..because this mp3 is not the sound of a deisel truck. it's my engine @ idle. :wtc:

icyjaws, you mean using a feeler gauge i can just measure the valve clearance once the valve cover is off? hmm.. that's prob what they do at 60K. i didnt think it was that involved.

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
As I said if you do not consider yourself extremely mechanically inclined this is not something you want to try yourself at home. Its very complex, time consuming and a major PITA.

The only good thing about when I did my own was I had NO valve ticking at all when I was done. It sounded soo perty :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
bagodoosh - that's how my car was before replacing the model year 2000 belt tensioner with the new design 2002 tensioner.

That and switching to Redline motor oil eliminated nearly all strange engine noises in my car. Now it purrs except for the occasional tick/rattle from the belts. Just turned over 50,000 miles with no problems too (knocks on wood).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.