NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't get any sort of splash into my filter nor was ir submerged, but I'm guessing that continuous 'spray' from my wheel and every car around me on the highway earlier eventually soaked the filter and penetrated it :(

I was driving then tried accelerating but the engine violently shook around 4-5k rpm as though the rev limiter was stepping in. It wont accelerate past those revs. I got home and checked the filter...yep, it was soaked. I took the CAI out of the car, removed the filter and found drops of water lined around the inside...I took off the maf...found drops of water on the map sitting in that O-ring shaft bit. I checked the plugs, but they seems normal.

Engine sounds totally normal while in motion and while at idle. When the car is stationary the engine can rev up to the normal 7k without any problems. Starts fine, sounds fine...but isn't fine :(

I just cleaned out the CAI pipe, used a hair dryer on it...did the same with the air filter and also the maf. Changed over the plugs for my other set. I just stated the motor and it was ok, albeit running lean, but that's probably because the maf is a little warm and not adding enough fuel, eventhough the actual air is pretty cold outside...it's been raining heavily today. Tired to avoid the journey but had to drop a family member to the hospital, so the journey was essential.

Is there a chance the the water that has gone inside may simply evaporate away after a few days or running the car easily? If a large amount of water gotten through, I'm guessing it would have broken something already by now. I'm just not sure what to do right now. I know the only way to find out if to remove the head, but I don't have the tools, time nor the right sort of weather to be doing any of that right now, until the spring/summer :(

What do we think about this? I'm so upset man, I hope it's nothing serious...I was just about to fit my power fc today as well, had it not rained :(

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm gonna bet your MAF was just wet. If it started back up and didn't sound like hell I think you are good to go.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Oh and you can remove the spark plugs and look at them to tell if there is a lot of water in the engine, but you already started it and ran it for awhile so there won't be any water left. I bet it's all been ran through the engine at this point.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
take off the intake manifold, when i hydrolocked that baby was FULL of water.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guys :)

I tried taking off the plugs and turning the motor over to try and get the water to spit out, but nothing came out, so thankfully it doesnt seem like it was anything serious.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zHiSZO9qOsg

I re-fitted the plugs n stuff and it started up right away and felt totally normal, which is a good sign. I'll wait till the roads are dry again till I get to drive it again and attempt a normal pull to redline at WOT...hopefully it was just the maf getting wet and nothing more. However, just to be extra safe, I'll change the oil again this week (pissed because I only just changed it on saturday afternoon :bang:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts