NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to spend a fortune on nice audio equipment, now that I lost most of my hearing the stock stuff sounds just as good. My question is I have the stock setup but want to replace it with one that can play MP3's. Are there HU's that fit in our stock openings? I don't want to spend a lot but want it too look ok.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
yes..look into Scion stock deck..it plays mp3s and give it a stock look to it..
here's a pic of my setup..

u don't HAVE to bypass the stock amp if you don't want to..i just found out how to do it the other day and now it's great..i'm using stock amp and everything but with a different deck..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
i still havent thought of wat to use to remove the "scion" lettering on the deck..
oh by the way, if u gonna go with this setup, might as well grab the ta-03 harness for our car..because you gonna have to modify the harness to work with ur stock amp..it works great..let me know if u need help.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Clarion also makes a double din MP3 deck and also Pioneer I think.

Oh yeah if you wanna remove the Scion lettering try little bit of paint thinner on peice of cloth and rub it throughly on the lettering. I used this method to take out lettering on the center console clock.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
^^does it leave scuff mark?? like a shadowy fade kinda look to it??? that's wat i'm trying to avoid doing..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
^^it's asian remix bro..not kung fu stuff.. lol...actually it's vietnamese remix..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
^^amber...which sux..cuz now my interior are compose of blue (gauge), green clock, amber/orange radio and ac control, and blu cig..i need to do a conversion to blue on my radio..

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
40shipped off of ebay..oh btw, the 06 one are more expensive cuz they can turn colors..make sure u read all the info to see if u can change the color..and u can get the stock scion harness at ur junk yard for less then $5..

·
Registered
374 Posts
Celica402GTS said:
yes..look into Scion stock deck..it plays mp3s and give it a stock look to it..
here's a pic of my setup..

u don't HAVE to bypass the stock amp if you don't want to..i just found out how to do it the other day and now it's great..i'm using stock amp and everything but with a different deck..
Can you please post a DIY for anyone interested in doing this? My 2000 GTS stock deck never worked properly and it skips on every bump (I have a full coilover suspension). I even had it serviced twice by Toyota when I initially bought the car used; they said it was fine both times. Figures.... I'm still debating on a full custom stereo install (already spent too much on crap for my car years ago) but till then this seems like a decent and cheap alternative. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
i did post it up and well, the site i posted up from die..but if u want to do it send me ur e-mail addy and i'll send you all the pics and guide...by the way..if u mod the ta-03 scotche harness u can use ur stock amp with this deck..withouth the amp i would have to turn the volume up to level of 20 notch to hear it good..but with the amp, i only need to turn it up to 8-10 notch and it's PLENTY LOUD..our stock amp is VERY good imo...an upgrade on the speakers would be so much better..down fall is that u can't change the mid-range (high/low) since u have to connect that to ur front speakers so they would turn on..

but like i said..send me ur email addy and i'll send you the guide for how to bypass stock amp..and i'll tell ya how to do it another way so u DON'T have to bypass the amp..

oh hell..on the scotche TA-03 harness (for aftermarket deck for GT-S w/premium sound)..all u needed to do cut the RCA input (Red and White wires that plug on back of aftermarket deck)..u have a total of 4 RCA, 2 reds, 2 whites...that's just enought for 4speakers in front and 2 in back...

so pick one RCA, cut them and u'll see 1 wire still inside a yellow capsule, that will be ur positive ..the other wire u see surround the yellow capsule are ur negative..from that you can connect positive of left speaker and positive of left mid/high onto the wire inside the yellow capsule..there one down..now do the same with the white RCA..then the 3rd Red RCA u hook up for the rear left speaker, then 4th White RCA for Right rear speaker...

got all that?? simpler then it look..oh so, u might want to look up the "scotche TA-03 Mod" ..it's the mod that get rid of the alternator whiny sound..trust me u'll need it..i've done it and it proven to work..

all in all, if u still think you can't do it..get me the harness for the tC, scotche TA-03(16-20bucks @ Wal-mart)..send them to me and ill do it for you..all u gotta do is pay for shipping..then once u gotten it, all u gotta do is plug-n-play..but b4 u go and buy the deck off of ebay..u might want to check ur local junkyard to see if there's a tC in the lot..cuz u want to have the tC stock harness in order for this to work..

pm me if got question..

·
Registered
374 Posts
Celica402GTS said:
i did post it up and well, the site i posted up from die..but if u want to do it send me ur e-mail addy and i'll send you all the pics and guide...by the way..if u mod the ta-03 scotche harness u can use ur stock amp with this deck..withouth the amp i would have to turn the volume up to level of 20 notch to hear it good..but with the amp, i only need to turn it up to 8-10 notch and it's PLENTY LOUD..our stock amp is VERY good imo...an upgrade on the speakers would be so much better..down fall is that u can't change the mid-range (high/low) since u have to connect that to ur front speakers so they would turn on..

but like i said..send me ur email addy and i'll send you the guide for how to bypass stock amp..and i'll tell ya how to do it another way so u DON'T have to bypass the amp..

oh hell..on the scotche TA-03 harness (for aftermarket deck for GT-S w/premium sound)..all u needed to do cut the RCA input (Red and White wires that plug on back of aftermarket deck)..u have a total of 4 RCA, 2 reds, 2 whites...that's just enought for 4speakers in front and 2 in back...

so pick one RCA, cut them and u'll see 1 wire still inside a yellow capsule, that will be ur positive ..the other wire u see surround the yellow capsule are ur negative..from that you can connect positive of left speaker and positive of left mid/high onto the wire inside the yellow capsule..there one down..now do the same with the white RCA..then the 3rd Red RCA u hook up for the rear left speaker, then 4th White RCA for Right rear speaker...

got all that?? simpler then it look..oh so, u might want to look up the "scotche TA-03 Mod" ..it's the mod that get rid of the alternator whiny sound..trust me u'll need it..i've done it and it proven to work..

all in all, if u still think you can't do it..get me the harness for the tC, scotche TA-03(16-20bucks @ Wal-mart)..send them to me and ill do it for you..all u gotta do is pay for shipping..then once u gotten it, all u gotta do is plug-n-play..but b4 u go and buy the deck off of ebay..u might want to check ur local junkyard to see if there's a tC in the lot..cuz u want to have the tC stock harness in order for this to work..

pm me if got question..
thanks for the info. already got a used 6 cd/color change version and a brand new wire harness on it's way thru ebay and the scosche ta03 for $19 from buy.com. by bro has done quite a few custom installs and is an engineer so this will be a piece of cake for him.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
^^^glad i can help..it's very simple to do..just cut the RCA and connect them to the tC harness speakers wires..or watever harness u gonna use for your deck...

·
Registered
106 Posts
So if I don't have the bose premium upgrade with the amp, is this replacement still plug anmd play or will it cause problems cause I have no amp?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts