NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay..so i went into toyota yesterday and again today to try to get rid of this annoying sound (hard to describe) i'd have to say it sounds like a grinding/moaning sound..while they were examining my car yesterday they found that my drive belt was cracked (6yrs old) then i brought it back today because that had no affect on the sound my car was making, today they said that my heat shield has a small crack in it...can a cracked heat shield cause the car to make a noise like that..it's just a crack and im going to be pis.sed if i have to pay the $200.00 for it and that noise is still there

·
Registered
282 Posts
ive got a cracked heat shield and im wondering if thats the problem, i have the same noise as u...im getting it checked sometime this week.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay so im not alone, also does anyone think this will be covered by warrenty? (extended) and how can a crack in a shield make a noise like that? (vibration?)

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
are you talking about the shield covering the header? if it is, then think of a musician using a saw as an instrument, like a violin kind of way. since the heat shield is thin, and with the car's vibrations, wouldn't you think that the crack would leave a gap enough to make the sheet metal make some kind of noise? i don't know really, i was just thinking really hard. i'm just trying to help.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
i know the noise, but mines is comming more from underneath the car. could be from the exhaust heat shields as well,

is it kinda a "prrrkrkrpkrprpkkr" rattling noise, hahahah

only when your first moving the car. from 1K-3K????

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
How would you drive the car with the drive belt cracked...? It shouldn't function..

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
00gtsGETemHIGH said:
i know the noise, but mines is comming more from underneath the car. could be from the exhaust heat shields as well,
yeah lol its hard to describe the noise..i think there shold be an E in there somewhere^^..lol but yeah only from 1-3 on mine as well (certain vibration frequency?)

How would you drive the car with the drive belt cracked...? It shouldn't function..
not cracked like broken but cracked as in..cracked.. like the belt had little cracks all along it

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
Yes a cracked heat shield rattles a bit.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
00gtsGETemHIGH said:

try checking your motor mounts.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
okay **** i got the same noise, i've heard that it can also be the intake manifold. does this noise only happen on the GT? i have a 1zz

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
guys...i had the same noise and i found out it was from my top header shield.

on my top header heat shield, three bolts were loose, so i retightened them. the noise was gone, but only for a week. the bolts kept getting loose.

a while ago, i bought a hotshot header from a member on this board, so i got it installed. i told the mechanic to take off both heat shields, top and bottom, because they wouldnt fit anyway.

the noise is gone now. i am not sure about the bottom heat shield, but the top heat shield is not needed. of course both heat shields are there for a reason, but you will be fine without them. someone said that if you drive through tall grass, without heat shields on your car, it will catch fire. how often do you drive through tall grass? why would you want to drive through tall grass anyway? my car is lowered and i dont want to any risk of scraping my bodykit. there are underbody panels underneath the car as well to prevent anything from getting into the engine bay.

anyway, take off your heat shields or retighten them. there are two pieces, one is on the top of the header, and the other is on the bottom.

as for the belt, i recently replaced mine with gatorback belt. you can get one from autozone for $22 or $24 after tax, at least that is how much i paid for mine at my local autozone. my old belt had cracks like that in the picture posted above. some cracks were deep enough. if i was to pull the belt, it would break apart right away.

hope that helped.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
btw, you can check if it is your header heat shield that is making the noise.

someone posted a thread about how he got rid of the noise. he folded foil papers to a right size and he placed under the top heatshield. then he tightened those two bolts where the heatshield connected to the engine.

the foil papers gotta be thick enough and you have to tighten the bolts really tight.

i did it and the noise was gone for two days only. the bolts kept getting loose.

·
Registered
282 Posts
this is my crack on the heat shield

·
Registered
282 Posts
spdysupra1 said:
if by worn you mean severely cracked then yes..

but back to the subject at hand, anyone else ever had a cracked heat shield with similar noise?
i think that belt is a gator back belt, thats how its suposed to be

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
the sound that it makes can only be describe in 1 word.

cheap

its a cheap sounding noise, that's all i can say about it, it annoys the shi+ out of me.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
my car makes the noise so i decided to finally investigate this morning and i found that it came directly from the intake manifold and there were no cracks in the heat shields. I half took off the intake manifold and this plastic thing came out of it. it looks like a velocity stack but only half of it. pretty big too. i can't take pics cause my bro has my digi cam. but i'll see what i can do

1 - 20 of 27 Posts