NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I can't go in to gear. I went in to reverse and it made loud thunk sound and now it won't go in to gear. I tried putting in reverse and it would just grind and when I place it in any other gear it will no go in at all.

Hopefully someone will know what's wrong. Thanks

I have a TRD JDM clutch.

Maybe Trany oil?

·
Banned
350 Posts
Dos_Willitos said:
Well I can't go in to gear. I went in to reverse and it made loud thunk sound and now it won't go in to gear. I tried putting in reverse and it would just grind and when I place it in any other gear it will no go in at all.

Hopefully someone will know what's wrong. Thanks

I have a TRD JDM clutch.

Maybe Trany oil?
Broken shift gate

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
The clutch isn't releasing. My US TRD clutch does that. It's an intermittent problem that's gone right now. Put it in the gear you want with the engine off, then start it. You will have to match revs to shift, but it will get you home. Adjust the pedal for the most travel you can get. Mine hits the spring as the top stop and I took the green button out of the bottom. There is almost no play in the pedal push rod. Even this didn't completely cure it, but made it drivable.
Right now the problem is gone, but it had left and returned in the past. I don't know what I'm going to find when I finally pull it apart.

dB

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Does the gear stick move both left and right / up and down?, if not then it could be that the shift cable has snapped. THink you can manually force gears, get M8 to hold the clutch pedal in then from the engine side look down and right under the throttle body, you should see a large brass piece of metal with 2 leavers attatched, move this and the leavers to see if you can select the gears if you push back on one then wait whilst your friend in the car tries to push it forwards/backwards or sideway if it doesn't move from the position you pushed or pulled it from then you know the cable has snapped inside if that makes sense.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=183127&highlight=shift+cable

Could be something else thou like what the others have said clutch, or syncros (spelling)

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Oh I never heard of that shift cable problem! Might be that!

At first, check your clutch adjustment. It might also be a broken pressure plate. Mine did that when it brake!

Which FW do u have btw?

·
Registered
209 Posts
It would not be the cable- if so you would only be able push the snapped cable into 2, 4, or 6 once, and the shifter would move through the others but no engagement ( happened to me a while ago). Now mine is doing the same as you described. If I adjust the pedal it works temporarily for @20 miles, then I have to rev match and get it into 1st or 2nd prior to coming to a stop. I'm gonna try to adjust mine again, and check the fluid level. I have TRD SS, Exedy oem clutch w/ 45K on it, fidanza FW, Extended pushrod and brass inserts, Royal Purple Syncromax gear oil, and new shifter cable. I'll post if I have any luck, hopefully it is not the pressure plate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts