NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car has been idling really rough lately so I decided to do some cleaning. I took off the throttle body and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner (the whole inside was black) and then dried it off. I put it back in the car, started it up and now my exhaust is putting out a HUGE cloud of white smoke and is creating a puddle of gas that is leaking out of the tailpipe as well.

I am desperate! I tried pulling all the ecu fuses and disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu but it's still doing it.

PLEASE HELP!!

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Are you sure it's gas? White clouds suggest a coolant leak somewhere and would be putting out water through the tail pipe.

If it really is gas and you're running that rich you will throw a p0171 or something soon, if you do let us know.

Is it idling better?

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I'm sure it's gas. It smells like gas straight from the pump. I just switched out spark plugs and it stopped dripping gas but it still smells like pure gas and still has the white smoke. It seems to be idling about the same.

No codes either. I'm stumped.....

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I just reinstalled it again. Less gas smell, idles smoother, but that white smoke is still there and a little gas is still dripping.

I let it idle for about 10 minutes 2 times and its still smoking.

It's idling good and sounds good but at about 2k rpms it starts smoking bad. It's a huge cloud. I don't feel like getting blamed for an accident b/c my car was smoking and distracted someone or some crap.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had a faint smell of gas coming from my exhaust for 2 years. Some times it smells some times it doesn't. I'm thinking maybe I just maximized it some how. Is there any way to clean out the tailpipe to see if maybe I'm just burning some of the fuel that was in there?

·
@celicatoast
1,623 Posts
How much cleaner did you use? I would assume that stuff is being burned in the engine causing the white smoke...

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I removed the TB and cleaned it, dried it with a paper towel, let it dry in the sun for about 30 minutes then hooked everything back up and started it up. I used 2 short sprays on the engine side where the TB hooks up and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. I've let it run for a total of about 30 minutes.

No smoke for the first 3 minutes or so if I don't touch the throttle, then the smoke comes. Smoke starts right up if I step on the gas though.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
It's burning the cleaner, making the smoke. My car always has a slight smell of gas as well, your ecu is likely running just a bit rich.

Let it sit for a few hours, then let it idle again. Go for just a little drive and it will sort itself out.

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
You can try and clean the MAF as well to help with the idle/Air-fuel ratio.

How old is your front O2 sensor?

If it idles rough, maybe the IAC is acting funny, but i'm not sure on that one. Usually if the IAC is bad you'll know.

·
Premium Member
985 Posts
You may not have secured the 2 lines going into the throttle body. You said you took the throttle body off completely? Verify the 2 lines going into the throttle body are secure. Also, throttle body cleaner dries itself, you do not need to dry it. Spray a few times, brush with the tooth brush, you can use shop towel to get more grime out of the way but, throttle body cleaner doesn't need to be wiped away.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I let it idle again for 15 minutes and it was still smoking. Drove it to pick up my girl from work (about 10 miles total) still smoking. Just when I was about to give up I decided to clean out the exhaust and then take it for a "spirited" ride. Pushed it up to about 6k rpms a few times which resulted in huge clouds of smoke then drove it normally and I could still see a small, very faint cloud behind me.

I let it sit for an hour or so, then drove home (about 25 miles via the highway).

Smoke seems to be gone as well as the gas dripping from the exhaust, but the faint gas smell I use to have is now a VERY STRONG gas smell that I can smell in the car while driving with the windows up or down.

She's idling like a brand new car now though. I use to idle around 400 before and somewhere around 200-300 with the a/c on and would almost stall every time I'd come to a stop or put the car in reverse and shake uncontrollably. Now she's idling around 850-900 and only a slight shaking with the a/c on.

I'll post tomorrow to see if the smoke and gas drip is gone for good!

Thanks for everyone's help thus far

·
Registered
980 Posts
Fuel line/tank may be leaking- you should see a puddle of fuel under the car if that's the case.
You could be running excessively rich- car should throw a code.
Check your engine oil and see if you have puddles of fuel mixed in with the oil (it will look more like water than oil). That's a sign you're running too rich.
Injectors could also be stuck open causing this.
Given what you have said so far though, it sounds like too much throttle body cleaner was used and threw off the MAF sensor until it dried properly.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I totally forgot to mention that I have an 01 gt with an 05 1zz in it. I have a buddy that works at toyota and he got the engine with 50k on it and completely rebuilt it just in case. It was rebuilt and dropped in about 13 months ago. I ran a can of seafoam through my injectors about a month ago so I don't think it's a stuck injector and there are no puddles at all, anywhere, no gas, oil, water, coolant, anything.

The gas drip and smoke has subsided but the very strong gas smell is still there. I checked codes yesterday but it didn't throw any. I changed the spark plugs yesterday with partially used ones I had laying around and it seemed to help. I'm going to go get new ones today and see if that completely eliminates the smell.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
New plugs seemed to get rid of the gas smell. All symptoms have subsided and she's driving better than ever. My throttle body was completely black everywhere.
Cleaning it increased my idle speed about 400 rpm, no shaking when sitting at traffic lights or with the a/c on.

I was scared as hell when gas started dripping out of my tail pipe but now, cleaning my tb has been the best mod/cleaning/install I've ever done to my car.

Thank you everyone for your help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts