NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, it must sound like Im retarded by the title of this post. This is an easy job that I can do if I had the right tools and somewhere to do it. Anyhow we are trying to install some replacement kyb gr2's on my gf's 2000 GTS. We already put on TRD springs on it at 15k miles at home in 2002, now the car is at 75k and the stock struts are toast for the most part. I tried getting the front ones off today with the simple hand tools I have around my condo, and I can break loose every bolt except for the front end links. So this means I will attempt to do the rears tomorrow and it shouldnt be a prob. But if anyone on here is willing or knows someone willing to do a side job of installing the fronts, please pm or email me at [email protected]. Obviously you will have more tools than me and a place to do the work, I cant do much in my condo parking lot like I was able to at home. Anyone that can help us is greatly appreciated, were both finishing grad school so I cant afford to be raped by satan or the local shops with the little money we make. We are in hte Ft Lauderdale area. Thanks alot.

Sal

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
i just got my gr-2's installed, i took it to driven concepts..its a 240 place but they do a good job. i payed $92 to get them on. the back ones are a bit(h to put on...i have seen them being put on twice so i know what to do..

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
the front end links have a hex bolt design at the end of the threaded bolt that the nut screws on to, you need to use the hex key to stop the screw from moving while youre unscrewing the bolt from the threads, use some oil, or wd40 to help losten(sp) the bolt. you dont usualy have to get the end links off to get to the shocks though since they conect the swaybars to the control arms. are you sure youre explaining the right part?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah im explaining the right pary, you got it. I put an allen key in there and tried to crack the bolt loose, but the way the bolt is in there on the strut and the sway bar makes it hard to get a wrench w/ a breaker bar in there to crack it loose.

What is such a pain about the rear struts, bc Im about to attempt those ones tomorrow?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
the rear ones are only a pain when you have to pull the old strut down and out. you will see what i mean when you do it. it took me and 2 other guys atleast 20 minutes to get that dang thing out...you got to position it just right to get it down and out...but knowing you already put trd springs on you must be familiar about pulling the struts out to put the springs on...

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
haha i remeber when i did that with my celica(the rears), i worked at toyota at the time and we had it on a lift, it took me and a friend with a huge crow bar with pressure to lower the control arm while another friend took the strut out hahah, fuk that.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
ImSoNastie said:
haha i remeber when i did that with my celica(the rears), i worked at toyota at the time and we had it on a lift, it took me and a friend with a huge crow bar with pressure to lower the control arm while another friend took the strut out hahah, fuk that.
same here man...lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts