NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I decided I'm not a big fan of bass. I want to build a system consisting of:

New front/rear speakers
Powered by a 4 channel amplifier.

I already have the Pioneer DEH-650 cd player which has inputs for front/rear speakers.

I was thinking 6 1/2 pioneer rev component fronts, and 6 1/2 rev rears, then a 4 channel amp powering those speakers.

I just want loud and clear sound so i will need the amp powering the speakers...i have done many sub/amp installs but never a full speaker/amp install so how hard is this and what will I need?

I want to spend about $500 for the fronts/rear speakers and an amp, then the wiring extra. What will I need to do all of this and what do you guys recommend?

Also, will the 6 1/2 pioneer rev components in the front, and the 6 1/2 rev 2 ways in the rear fit? Thats basically all I have looked at...I do not know what is good...let me know what u guys think

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
the factory's are 6.5 but they're bigger than normal. the best way to mount new ones is to trace out the old one onto 3/4" MDF and then cut that and use that to mount the speaker with.

this may be an unpopular opinon but my preference is no rears at all. maybe just get fronts and an amp. if you have 500 and you want the best bang for the buck i'd do that. buy the **** online, which'll save you alot, and either leave stock rears or none at all. i haven't heard pioneer rev's but usually pioneer is very midline in their speaker lines. always. but again i haven't heard those. i would suggest jl xr components or boston pros like i have or focal polykevlars.

anyway good luck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would get a good componet set up front ampes and just leaves the stock speakers in the rear or a set of coax. speakers ran off the HU. If you amp the rears, you are going to pull the soundstage to the rear, ruining the imaging. Some of you do like this though...

Why don't you want a sub? You realize a good component set at moderate to high volume levels will play down to approx 60hz nicely? 60hz and below you will have very little to nothing, in which the human ear can hear down to approx. 20hz... That is a big gap in which you might want to consider a sub to fill.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The Pioneer REV's are awesome speakers. They are on eBay for around $135 for the 6.5" components. As J3adSeed said, Pioneer's speakers are usually mid-line. These REV's do push them a bit higher, though. But yeah, check out some other brands as well. I'm going to also recommend the JL XR's (look at my sig). And as stated above, I wouldn't touch the rears. Don't play them at all, or if you do, play them very very quiet.

As for amps, you want to get some good power to them. The website says 60 watts nominal, 250 watts max. I would try to find an amp that puts out around 150 watts RMS to those puppies. And you will only need a 2-channel if you don't worry about the back. If you want to stick with Pioneer, check out the Pioneer amps. The GM-X972 is 150 x 2 RMS. Oh, and don't look at the "peak power" Chances are, you will never get that on that amp.

Also, as mentioned above, you don't want a sub? I would personally recommend getting at least one sub. Even a 10" sub will work for SQ. A 12" would be better. You don't need to get two subs with 5000 watts, just something for normal listening.

Curt

·
Registered
215 Posts
I tend to agree w/ everyone else here, reconsider your thoughts on a sub or not. I personally don't require alot of bass either, but it is necessary to get the full range of almost any music signal.

I also agree that you can do the fronts, and leave the rears alone. I would say a set of JL components for the front (if you like the way they sound). Leave the rears on the deck, and get an amp w/ 4 channels that is bridgeable. This would allow you to run the fronts on 2 channels and maybe add something as small and simple as a JL Microsub to the other 2 channels bridged. A inexpensive alternative that will fill in the gaps, is in a box already and does not take up alot of room.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts