NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a hard time deciding which setup to go with for performance.
SETUP 1:
15" x 7" wheels , 11.5 lb. each + slotted rotors and upgraded pads (205/50/15 tire profile)

SETUP 2:
17" x 7" wheels, 13 lb. each + rotora big brake kit (215/40/17 tire profile)

the reason i ask is b/c if i go with the bigger wheels i can get better brakes but i dont know if setup 1 is the equivalent since it has smaller wheels.
any help and advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
2 pounds isn't a big enough difference to go with the smaller wheels in my opinion and the 17's will look so much better. Plus the bigger brakes. thats sounds good to me, fifteens are for slicks..

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its not just the weight i am concerned about, i am assuming that the less rotational mass is better for performance on a daily basis.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
ins't the rotational mass weight? smaller mass smaller weight? you mean like mpg? i know its not going to perform as well as a 17. bigger brakes isn't the same as good pads and rotors. big brake are awesome...

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
For performance, I'd go with the 15's. For looks, I'd go with the 17's. I had 17's but didn't want to deal with the expensive tires and small aspect ratio. I use my 15's for my daily driving and for autocrossing. But I will be adding a second set of 16's for street. So that's another option, get 2 sets of wheels :)

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I believe you will see a big difference between the 15" and 17" wheel sizes in terms of acceleration.

1. Yes, there might only be a 2lb difference, but where is that weight concentrated, typically on the outer diameter of the wheel, which makes for a much greater weight that you have to overcome. Add to that a tire that also adds weight to the outside of the tire, and you get even more weight that you have to overcome.

2. Tire diameter. A smaller diameter tire effectively shortens your final drive ratio. A smaller drive ratio gives benefits in acceleration, while sacrificing some top speed.

I would suggest getting a separate set of wheels (possibly 17s) for daily driving if you're concerned about looks. You said you already have a set of 15s you could use for autocross.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I think the big brake kit might be a bit unnessary unless you plan on raing your car heavily at the track. From what I have read here and elsewhere, your car already has enough power in the brakes to lock them up which means stronger brakes wont do anything our curent brakes already do fine. Also a different set of calipers will likely have different dimensions internally, meaning how much fluid and pressure they will take to operate. Your abs is calibrated for your stock calipers so any changes will likely cause a decrease in perfromance with abs. Badass brakes may be in order if you plan on heat dissipation to be a problem while ringing out your car at a track but otherwise its probably not worth the $$$ except in terms of bling.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
If performance is your main concern, remember this:
not only will the heavier wheels add rotational inertia, but so will the larger, heavier brakes!!

Something to keep in mind...

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
I've also heard big brake kits can sometimes actually EXTEND braking distances. Their main purpose is to disspate heat as quickly as possible with their large surface area so the pads don't glaze. This is only useful for racing that requires extremely hard continuous braking for long distances (road course racing). For daily driving, drag racing, and probably even autox, they're just for :bling: A good set of pads and some higher temp brake fluid should be more useful than a big brake kit 95% of the time (100% if you don't do any real racing).

If you're looking for handling, I'd go with 17s for their tires' stiffer sidewalls. If you're looking to improve your launch times, 15s are the way to go.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Blue Bomber said:
and probably even autox, they're just for :bling:

If you're looking for handling, I'd go with 17s for their tires' stiffer sidewalls. If you're looking to improve your launch times, 15s are the way to go.
Brakes: Yep the good old stock ones work just fine. the idea is to not use them that much anyway

Tires: Just buy a good sticky set of 15's, maybe Falkens or Bridgestone S-03's

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The 2 main reasons I wanted a rotora big brake kit is b/c
1) I have a turbo and
2) I assumed it stopped your car quicker (since the calipers have 4 pistons as opposed to the stock caliper's 2 pistons).
AND i dont autox-- what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Originally posted by Blue Bomber

yup and I would put a 215/45/17 tire on there. I have 17s with 225/45/17 Falkens on them and the car handles awsome.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Basically the more grip you have, the more ability to produce reward force (deceleration).

If we are comparing the asme brand and model of tire the wider one will be stickier, thus allowing more braking force.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I might be off here, but didn't anyone consider that a tire is like a big rubber bushing? The smaller the aspect ratio on a bigger wheel the more control and less slop and a bigger wheel = a bigger tire + the addition of the possiblity of a bigger brake settup like mentioned. You might have the same rolling diameter as say the 15's, but with some added weight granted. Go 17". Unless you are going for 1/4 mile times.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
yes, the sidewall height will affect the feel of the tire. The shorter the sidewall the stiffer it is. You can just go to a lower sidewall height and keep the same 15" diameter. 17" tires are more exepensive as well (especially the good ones).

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
can someone answer this......

isnt a big brake kit (with bigger calipers) supposed to shorten braking distance? it does, so why are some of you saying its basically a mod for autox and that it increases braking distance ? isnt the stronger clamping power supposed to make a huge difference?

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by Nu Concept
can someone answer this......

isnt a big brake kit (with bigger calipers) supposed to shorten braking distance? it does, so why are some of you saying its basically a mod for autox and that it increases braking distance ? isnt the stronger clamping power supposed to make a huge difference?
Like I said before, the big rotors are to dissipate heat faster, and are really only useful for road racing where brake temps can skyrocket from continual hard braking. The calipers can clamp all they want, but they can only slow down the car if the tires maintain traction. Upgraded pads, brake fluid, and tires (maybe SSB brake lines, too) would stop your car faster than any big brake kit alone (you could slam on the brakes without engaging ABS). Heat and tire grip have the biggest effect on braking.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts