NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm new here just bought a nice 2003 GTS, it has a oil leak so if anyone has this same problem or know what wrong please let me know I was thinking or hoping it might be the timing chain tensioner please look pictures and tell me what you think
Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hard to tell from your photos...how far up is there oil? Looks like it's been leaking a while. Need to clean it up and then check where new oil is coming from. Could be the tensioner.

When I got mine it had a torn passenger side CV boot and I thought the oil and grease was from that. Turns out it was leaking from 3 places, valve cover, timing chain cover and oil pan. The PO had reused the seals and added sealant to the valve cover and timing cover...its supposed to only use a new rubber gasket. As for oil pan it uses a sealant. My power steering pump was drenched in oil, I thought that was leaking.

I had the engine out when I did all this since the trans had a crack in the bottom mount. This make cleanup and replacement easier.

Valve cover is easiest but dont recall if you can do timing chain cover without removing engine. Oil pan is possible with engine it, but would be a challenge as you'd be working from under the car.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
196 Posts
Photos are too zoomed in to tell what it is. Definitely get some degreaser, clean it up and look for leaks. If still can't find add some UV dye.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,303 Posts
The first pic is the timing chain tensioner. Can you trace the general direction of the leak to the tensioner? It's a known leakage point. The second pic has me thinking though that the leakage may be coming from the head gasket area or from the the back of the valve cover gasket. It's unusual to see oil from the tensioner make it to the exhaust heat shield.

Like the others have said, clean it up some and then look for a new trace of oil on the block

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also bought a 2003 Celica ZR. I'm in Australia. When I bought it I saw the same issue in my car and my mechanic told me that it was engine oil and he can't find the location without washing the engine. I showed it to another mechanic and he told me that it was power steering oil. anyway then my mechanic did an engine wash for me and he told me to check both oil levels regularly. I have been using the car without any problems so far for 3days and still I haven't seen any oil leak again. I'll update you if I face the similar issue again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts