NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on getting some coilover...i heard from a friend that tein makes good product...i was just wondering what other company is good for the GTS and someone that has coilover...would it improve handleing? how much would it cost. i saw the parts catalog on this site..it ranges from 860-1400...i dont know anything about coilover...which one would i need...im not street racing or anything but i like to take turns pretty fast =)

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Just about any coilover set will substantially improve handling. Tein has 3 different coilover setups: Basic, SS, and SS-P. Basic is comprised of height adjustable springs with struts. SS is the same height adjustable springs with adjustable struts. SS-P is the same setup as SS, but with stiffer springs (and most likely stiffer struts), plus it has built in camber adjustments on the front struts, and includes upper strut mounts (other two sets reuse the stock ones).

Another thing to note about coilovers is that they make the ride stiffer. If you think the stock suspension on the Celica is a bit harsh, you might just want to get separate springs and struts, since coilovers are way stiffer. My friend has Tein coilovers (forgot if they're SS or SS-P), and he doesn't like the ride, but I've driven a Celica with the same suspension, and I had no problem with it. It all depends on your personal preference.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Im riding on the SS's. Ride quality's pretty good, even on 18s. Adjustability is a breeze (for the fronts anyways). But Ive got front & rear tower bars on the way, along with a rear lower tie, which according to Blue Bomber, should improve ride quality even more.

·
Registered
185 Posts
How did you adjust your camber? I have the SS coilover's and they are dropped all the way.

I can get the rear camber links to fix the back alignment but the front alignment requires the hotchkis plates which only come with the bar. Costs over $400 bucks just for the front when i just want a descent alignment so i don't eat my tires.

Is there another product or does tien have any support for the front struts? If the SS-P are adjustable, would they sell the mount to put it on the SS's.

Thanks.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by ToyoGtS
I can get the rear camber links to fix the back alignment but the front alignment requires the hotchkis plates which only come with the bar. Costs over $400 bucks just for the front when i just want a descent alignment so i don't eat my tires.
Whatever you do, DO NOT get the Hotchkis from strut bar! It will destroy your Tein coilovers since they're not compatible.
Originally posted by ToyoGtS
Is there another product or does tien have any support for the front struts? If the SS-P are adjustable, would they sell the mount to put it on the SS's.
I believe you can get the SS-P front pillowball mounts separately, and I've heard Cusco also makes a set.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks Bro-

Anyword on the best place to get the Cusco plates?

Also- I was planning on getting the rear camber links from Hotchkis but if Cusco makes them cheaper or any other company makes them cheaper than 250 it would be much better!

And it's written all over that toe eats tires worse than camber but when the tech looked at the inside wear on my tires he said it was all camber. I need to figure out what the best setup is and the cheapest since it's almost christmas!

Thanks.

·
Registered
721 Posts
ToyoGtS said:
How did you adjust your camber? I have the SS coilover's and they are dropped all the way.
Rear camber is fixed with the hotchkis plates. Front camber isnt fixed yet I'm having tire wear as if they cambered positive: tire wear is on the outside.

Ive bin told that it might be a toe-in problem. But Ive bin too lazy to get to the dealership to get an alignment/check.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,616 Posts
IxFoCuSxI said:
im not street racing or anything but i like to take turns pretty fast =)
Get good tires. Go to an autocross or a track day. Best way to spend your $$. You are throwing money away if you're buying coilovers and not maxing them out.

john

1 - 9 of 9 Posts