NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How do you remove the plastic spark plug cover on a GT?

I was going to replace the spark plugs today (just turned 50k) but I could not figure out how to remove the cover. :confused:

I removed the two acorn nuts in the front but how the *#*# do you remove/release the two plastic retainers that secure the rear of the cover? I did not want to break the retainers by forcing anything the wrong way,etc.
Even the repair manual is not any help on this. Help! This has really got me stumpted! :wtf:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
SilverRide said:
How do you remove the plastic spark plug cover on a GT?

I was going to replace the spark plugs today (just turned 50k) but I could not figure out how to remove the cover. :confused:

I removed the two acorn nuts in the front but how the *#*# do you remove/release the two plastic retainers that secure the rear of the cover? I did not want to break the retainers by forcing anything the wrong way,etc.
Even the repair manual is not any help on this. Help! This has really got me stumpted! :wtf:
there are plastic covers back there??

I don't have anything. Jus the two nuts.

·
Registered
101 Posts
like he said^^^^ i think....but be careful! they're really easy to break! i broke mine when i tried to remove 'em. Until now i've never figured out how to take them out! i put the plastic cover on without them. Oh well... Sorry man, wish i could help u.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
OK, thanks for the info.

In the morning, I will try gently prying up the rear of the cover where the retaing clips are located and see what happens.

From what I can see from the limited views in the repair manual, the clips may be of the type that fit into a round hole and are insterted much easier than removed.

I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
SilverRide said:
OK, thanks for the info.

In the morning, I will try gently prying up the rear of the cover where the retaing clips are located and see what happens.

From what I can see from the limited views in the repair manual, the clips may be of the type that fit into a round hole and are insterted much easier than removed.

I will keep you posted.
That is exactly what I did and what I discovered.

I pried up next to the rear plastic clips with a small screwdriver and they released almost effortlessly! :applaud: They are a simply friction fit clip and a sutable replacement should be avalible at Auto Zone, etc, for those who broke them.

Anyway, thanks to all, you were a big help! :)

BTW, I was surprised that the old plugs were still in relatively good shape after 50k miles.
I replaced them with "Denso IK16" and it does seem to run better, particularly at high RPMs :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts