NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help Cleaning MAF Sensor

Hello,

I'm new to this forum. I recently received a 2000 Celica GT-S from my brother just short of 109k miles on it. I've never experienced lift so I don't know what to expect, but when I tried and accelerated to around 6.5k, the RPMs stutter and refuse to go any higher. In addition, I have a check engine light that my mechanic has not been able to figure out. Could the check engine light be due to broken lift bolts? If so, what code would appear if I checked it with a scanner?

In addition, since the engine refuses to go over 6.5k, I simply assumed the lift bolts were broken. Is there anyone in the bay area who could help me replace the lift bolts? I'm inexperienced about cars and don't feel comfortable about messing with the engine. (Considering the horror stories I've read in this forum about trying to get the second half of the bolt..)

Thanks!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Welcome; I think the first thing to do is to make sure what is the code because from that code you can save a lot of time instead of guessing/assuming something like the way i've done. As soon as you have the code#(there is a sticky about a code and related issue here too), ask or search in this forum. Iam sure 100% some very good ppl will help you in this forum but problems about lift is not something new at all here. Since there is a CEL already on your car do not try to take the lift maybe it'll make it worse. A CEL/ CEL's it can be some problems, in my case, it was a crazy previous owner who put a different ecu on it. Again, many good ppl here will help you as soon as you tell them the code on your car. I wish you good luck with your new car; it is a very good choice.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got somebody to check it out for me for 10 bucks, the Code is P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1).. What should I do? Does it have to do with the oil control valve like what chillan said? I asked the mechanic if it was serious and he said it was no big deal, just that I should get it fixed before my next smog check.

Oh, and the engine is stock except for a TRD exhaust.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
That's the only code you got? That is not a lift or OCV code. I'd try to clean the MAF sensor with some CRC MAF sensor cleaner and see if that helps or not. Sometimes when the MAF is dirty it reads less air than what is actually going into the engine so when the ECU sends fuel there isn't enough for the actual amount of air and the engine runs lean and stutters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I was searching the forum on guides to clean the MAF sensor and found this:
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=259518

On the guide for the MR2, it states that the MAF sensor is behind the air filter box. Where is the air filter box? Am i going to have to take out my battery to get to it?

(I'm a real noob. I'm 17 and never touched an engine. I apologize if this is blatantly obvious..)

which section would it be in?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks! :wiggle: I'll probably clean it tomorrow. Once CEL lights up it doesnt go off until the codes are removed right? So I still need to erase it with an OBDII to get rid of the light.

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
use the MAF cleaner spray or q-tip, just be careful with that thing, don't drop it or harm it in anyway.. its very sensitive.. before doing anything unplug the negative battery terminal..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
use the MAF cleaner spray or q-tip, just be careful with that thing, don't drop it or harm it in anyway.. its very sensitive.. before doing anything unplug the negative battery terminal..
Should I do both positive and neg or just neg would suffice?

·
Celica Enthusiast
1,247 Posts
Should I do both positive and neg or just neg would suffice?
Just neg. picture this like a 6th grade science project when you have a battery with a wire in each end lighting up a light bulb. Basically just want to open the circuit, if you were to pull one wire there wouldn't be any light.. :eek::
If you're paranoid do both, but it doesn't make a difference..

P.S I was the same way when I first started messing with my car. Just follow the write-ups and you should be fine.. If you're considering changing the lift bolts make sure you have a good place and a lot of time, you don't want to rush through this.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Find someone with a celi in town, that happen to be on here, make friend. Have them help u out. Simple..
Good luck..its easy, take your time though...i dont recommend the q-tip method, because im paranoid..dont know my own strenght and I dont want to cough up $200 or more for a new maf sensor..just hose the sensor with cleaner, u got plenty in the can..itll clean it good for u.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks so much! I suppose I'm just uncomfortable with taking apart my engine because I don't want to end up having to tow it and then paying huge repair bills.

I did see a modded white celica the other day, but I don't know if they're on newcelica.org..
should i post it in the sightings thread and see if I get a response? I don't have pics of it

·
Registered
376 Posts
ALso, IF you think you can DIY, check the lift bolts; make sure it is the update ones. It is not a hard to do just make sure you put everything back as it should. When i replaced mine, it was about 1 hour total (include cleaning thing) There are tons of them about "Lift Bolts" thingy here. If iam not wrong, Smaay has some very good/clear pictures about it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
thanks so much! I suppose I'm just uncomfortable with taking apart my engine because I don't want to end up having to tow it and then paying huge repair bills.

I did see a modded white celica the other day, but I don't know if they're on newcelica.org..
should i post it in the sightings thread and see if I get a response? I don't have pics of it
replacing lift bolts has nothing to do with.."..taking apart my engine..". IF your lift bolts is not broken, you're lucky, it is NOT hard at all as long as you watch/see/read the How to replace the lift bolts on this website. I live in S Philly, where r u? if you live near me, i'll be more than happy to share my experiences about it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
About the MAF cleaner; Buy exactly as ppl told you. !DO NOT! buy/use a carburetor/throttle/etcs.. cleaner or any other cleaner. If iam not wrong, it is about $5/can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ALso, IF you think you can DIY, check the lift bolts; make sure it is the update ones. It is not a hard to do just make sure you put everything back as it should. When i replaced mine, it was about 1 hour total (include cleaning thing) There are tons of them about "Lift Bolts" thingy here. If iam not wrong, Smaay has some very good/clear pictures about it.
Can you link me? I tried searching "lift bolts" and username "Smaay" and couldn't find it :/

I read in a thread that almost all '00 GTS with 50k+ miles have at least one lift bolt broken.. Considering i'm almost at 109k and my brother hasn't given me any information/experiences about changing the lift bolts, I doubt he replaced it.. Regardless, I guess i'll check out the lift bolts to see if I got lucky. If they're broken, doesn't it get a lot more complicated to get the second half? I read about some people on this forum that accidentally split the second half by attempting to drill into it to get it out..

I live in northern California in the southern bay area. We're on opposite sides of the nation. :(

I got a can of CRC MAF sensor cleaner from a local store for about 7 bucks. I'll probably start cleaning it in an hour or so. Is it alright to spray directly into the sensor? Also, should I wait until the engine cools before i start?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I just finished cleaning the MAF sensor. I started the car up and drove it around on the highway for about 10 minutes, and the CEL didn't come back on. I think its fixed! I haven't tried hitting lift yet, I'll probably try it tomorrow and see if it still refuses to go over 6.5k RPM.

Thanks! :wiggle:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I tried to hit lift today, and it STILL refuses to go over 6.5k RPM :bang:. The engine was warm to the 3rd notch (~45 degree angle), and I 3/4 floored it in 2nd gear and it stuttered at 6.5k RPM before I was forced to shift to 3rd.

CEL did not come back on, so I guess it's the end of that.

Assuming my lift bolts are broken, most people with broken lift bolts can still reach 8k RPM and experience little to no lift. I can't even go over 6.5k. Is there a bigger problem undermining itself here? If I replace the bolts will i be able to go over 6.5k?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts