NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm not familiar with the traffic ticketing system in the US as I live in Canada. However, I got a ticket for 83 in a 65 zone in New York State just south of the Montreal. There is no fine on the ticket?!?

Any suggestions on the best way to handle this? Just plead guilty and pay the fine? I will need to come back to New York for more business in the future.

HELP HELP!

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
You can probably take the STOP class...i'm suprised the officer didn't tell you about it. Also the ticket should have an arraignment date on there if you want to contest the ticket. How did the officer clock you? Radar, laser, pacing? Go to www.ticketkiller.com and buy their book. It will be the best thing you can do....it hasn't failed me at all. And buying a 30 or 40 dollar book is much better than paying a fine and paying higher insurance and having a ticket on your record.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He didn't say how he caught my speed, but the ticket says radar.

The thing is, I don't live in the US and I'm a Canadian Citzien and I live in Canada only, and the officer knows that. So I'm wondering if there is a way to lower the payments or fight is, or if I shouldn't even bother paying since I don't live in the states.

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
LoL...you have to take care of it. There should be a court date on the ticket for arraignment. Just buy that ticketkiller.com book and use it in court. It'll work

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
I got a stupid parking ticket over in Canada and they just sent me a bill.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem is that I won't be able to attend court, what are some know ticket fighter companies in New York State?

·
Registered
487 Posts
If you bail court, you will have a fun time trying to cross the U.S. border again..

You can also usually send in the ticket and plead guilty, and they just send you the fine. If you don't pay this, they tack on a higher price then eventually go for your credit rating (If you care about getting another car/school/house, you care about this)

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
You can always do this as well....especially if you can't attend court. Call and reschedule your court date. Or if it is an arraignment go to it and plead not guilty..then they'll give you a court date. Call and reschedule that for another time...then call and reschedule it again and then go to court. 99% of the time when you do that the officer that wrote the ticket won't show up and it will be thrown out.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
marc said:
dude you dont live in this country. don't pay that ****.
Dude you're ****ed. There's an agreement between NY and Canada (Quebec and Ontario providence) that any traffic tickets in either place will give you points.

For out-of-state drivers, there is no simple answer. It is our understanding that New York State reports moving violations to the "Drivers License Compact", and that this can affect insurance rates for out-of-state drivers. It seems like this is applied inconsistently. In some cases the home state never finds out. We have seen cases where they do. It is also our understanding that New York reports moving violations of Quebec and Ontario drivers directly to those provinces.

For New York drivers who get out-of-state tickets, these generally will not affect you. The exception is tickets in Quebec and Ontario. However, it is always possible that your insurance company will find out, and if they do, your rates might go up. Under Insurance Law 2335, it should not affect you in New York, but that doesn't mean they won't try.

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?New-York-Speeding-Ticket-FAQ&id=87042

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sign the back of the slip and mail in the money. Only thing i can see working for you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, it turns out that Ontario and New York state have some kind of agreement, so the points will be transfered to by Ontario driver's license. I'm in the process of finding a company to fight it for me.. ie, X-Coppers..

Thanks guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts