NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I already have the rear strut out of my car. I have the spring compressed with the proper compressor but I need to get the nut off the top. When I turn the nut, the whole rod spins and it doesn't loosen. There's an alan wrench indent in the top of the rod that the nut is on but using an alan wrench doesn't help because you can't get enough torque on both at the same time. Also, I already broke one of my alan wrenches on it when i propped it against something while i torqued on the nut. and I don't want to break my only other one. It looks like there's threadlock on the nut/rod assembly as well. Will an air impact wrench work? What should I do? I seem to be the only one who has had this problem :(

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I would drench it in wd-40 (or something like it), go eat a sandwich, turn on the air compressor and use the air impact wrench to remove it.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
S|Lv3rBu||et said:
I would drench it in wd-40 (or something like it), go eat a sandwich, turn on the air compressor and use the air impact wrench to remove it.
thanks man, thats just what im going to do

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, it worked! It took a TON of prying with a wrench and holding the pin with my last alan wrench but it slowly worked loose. From there it's easy! The other one wasn't stuck at all. It's embarrassing but it probably took me 3 hours just to finish one rear strut, but the other one only took a little over a half hour coming off, spring change, and back on. The front were even quicker! There wasn't much tension on the springs before removal, and the new springs were so short that I didn't even have to compress them to install them on the assembly.

Anyways thanks for the help. Overall not a very difficult job, but I'd recommend anyone trying it for the first time set aside atleast 4-5 hours and make sure you have plenty of tools (breaker bars, alan wrenches) to work with.

These were the Tein S-tech's, they didn't drop quite as far as I was hoping for but it seems the more I look at it the lower it looks, especially after I drove it. Overall very happy though. I'll have to try to get some pics soon.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Originally posted by KNanthrup
These were the Tein S-tech's, they didn't drop quite as far as I was hoping for but it seems the more I look at it the lower it looks, especially after I drove it. Overall very happy though. I'll have to try to get some pics soon.
Give it some time, the springs will adjust to having the weight of the car on them, and will compress a little more.

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Originally posted by S|Lv3rBu||et
Give it some time, the springs will adjust to having the weight of the car on them, and will compress a little more.
Nope, my Teins stayed the same height after the first drive around the neighborhood. There should be around a 2 finger gap up front and in back, depending on your fingers. ;)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well either way im gonna go drive it around and throw it hard into the corners to test my handling and see if it settles any. I don't think it will now but it seemed like it did after I drove it to work and back. Then again my eyes are probably playing tricks on me, but whatever...

Thanks again guys

1 - 8 of 8 Posts