NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the ST rule about ECU's is a little outdated. I was going to submit a rule change suggestion that would modify the rule to allow replace ECU's under the conditions that the ECU allows the same modifications as current allowed (ie, no boost changes, etc) in the rules and uses the stock sensors.

I believe this is good for a couple of reasons.

First, piggyback chips can now do anything that a replacement ECU could do. This would remove what is, in my mind, an artificial distinction between piggy back and full replacement ECU's.

Second, it would to create, in my mind, a better standard for ECU's without increasing the cost burden on competitors, in other words not forcing everyone to have to buy new parts up to the rule in order to be competitive.

Third, it would allow the PowerFC, which would be good for us :). As most other ST cars have a reflash or piggyback available it would benefit Celica's alot (I wont mention this in the rule change suggestion ;)).

I will tell you guys when I submit it, and the number of submission so that you guys can support it if you want.

I would ask for a little help. First, could someone post the ECU rule exact wording so I can develop a new wording. And does anyone have the e-mail or online form where I would make this suggestion? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
While I agree re-writing the rule might help, take a look at the *exact* wording of the rule.

The rule specifies that the "standard housing" must be used.

How big is the Power FC circuit board? How big is the ECU housing.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Scott

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Indeed. You = smart. But if that it true that is just another reason that the rule should be changed. Dont you agree, Scott?

Thanks for the help.

Do you have the exact wording of the rule just for my benefit?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Originally posted by ringthree
Indeed. You = smart. But if that it true that is just another reason that the rule should be changed. Dont you agree, Scott?

Thanks for the help.

Do you have the exact wording of the rule just for my benefit?
This is from the 2003 rules (( din't have a copy of the 2004 rules, but I don't think it changed significantly).

17.10.D.1: Reprogrammed ECU may be used in the standard housing. Traction control parameters may not be altered.

As a minimum they need to do a clarification.

Scott

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
autxr said:
While I agree re-writing the rule might help, take a look at the *exact* wording of the rule.

The rule specifies that the "standard housing" must be used.

How big is the Power FC circuit board? How big is the ECU housing.

Where there's a will there's a way.

Scott
if it uses the "standard housing" is that ment as the housing that holds the ECU or the housing that holds the circuit board?

If it's the housing that holds the ECU then I would take that to mean the black plactic housing that holds the stock ecu. Which the power FC fits into no problem.

From what I remeber the Power fc was quite a bit smaller then the stock ecu, I think that you could probably take the circuit boards out of a stock ecu and put the PFC circuit boards in.

Ahh infact here are some pics I just found, top one is the PFC.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, a couple of screws and it could be an easy swap.

But yeah the rule does need clarification.

The rule should limit what the ECU does, not what the ECU is shaped like.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Power FC board does fit into the factory ECU housing. Just don't ask me how I know. ;) And it is legals for STS to do the swap.

I also agree that it would be a good idea to allow a piggy back to perform the same function as a replacement ECU. Either way though, I don't see a piggy back raising the rev limit which I would say is the most important ecu upgrade for a GT.

·
Recovering Celica Driver
513 Posts
autxr said:
This is from the 2003 rules (( din't have a copy of the 2004 rules, but I don't think it changed significantly).

17.10.D.1: Reprogrammed ECU may be used in the standard housing. Traction control parameters may not be altered.

As a minimum they need to do a clarification.

Scott
But since the Power FC makes their own board, isn't it considered an ECU swap not a reprogrammed ECU?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I've had this in my stock box now for 3 months. Anything inside the stock housing is legal. - AB

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
B1mmer said:
I've had this in my stock box now for 3 months. Anything inside the stock housing is legal. - AB
Did you go to nationals with the Power FC? and the tech ok'ed it and all ??

Was your PowerFC board in your std ECU Houseing or was your Power FC in it's Houseing inside the black houseing?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Lord Banshee said:

Was your PowerFC board in your std ECU Houseing or was your Power FC in it's Houseing inside the black houseing?

Thanks,
Chris
I'll let B1mmer address how it's (legally) installed, but tech inspection has nothing to do with legality or classing of cars...it's just a safety check. It's up to competitors to police themselves.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Lord Banshee said:

Thanks,
Chris
Yes, went to Nationals with it in the stock housing. You can fit it in there, as long as you make sure you don't ground the circuit board in more than one spot :) It's tight, but it can be done. - AB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts