NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Call me stupid if you must, because I've probably overlooked something really simple here.

I've loosened the ecu from the plastic holder on the right side (closet side to the fusebox) and i've taken the 10mm bolt from the other side and I can get the ecu to wiggle and come up about an inch, but it seems as though it's not coming out because the wires are taught and connected to it. I've tried using a torx driver to loosen the screws, but none of the ones I have seem to fit properly enough to turn the screw. I have lots of sizes, so that's not the issue. Should I maybe buy a new torx set to try? If I can get the black handle thing off, then I can unplug the sensors and pull the unit out. Jesse's sticky just said it would come out by releasing it from the side plastic things, so am I going too far by trying to use a torx, or...?

What the hell is this blue connector?? It's connected in a slot, but doesn't lead to anything :ugh:

See, ecu is off the plastic holder

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
i dont think us celica's have that random large black thing ontop. mine was just the wires once you took the main plastic lid off and got the car new.

my guess is you have usdm or metric bits and it needs the other one if that makes sense. i ran into this a few times and invested in 2 nice sets of each to make sure i didnt get stuck again

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhhh yes, that's probably it. The metric system...damn, where's samuel jackson and john travolta when you need 'em!!

Cool, i'll just have to drive my car to the local hardware store and test fit the drivers onto the screws before I buy them.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
did you buy the car used? i cant figure out why you would have that black bracket piece and we dont. its kind of odd

·
Registered
461 Posts
its the first time e ic one of does and seen quite a few mines a 01 Tsport and does not have that , just gently drill does things that are atached to the ecu and remove that metal thing and unplug the wires and you will be ok,

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
did you buy the car used? i cant figure out why you would have that black bracket piece and we dont. its kind of odd
Nah bro, I'm the only owner and it's pretty off to me as well.

its the first time e ic one of does and seen quite a few mines a 01 Tsport and does not have that , just gently drill does things that are atached to the ecu and remove that metal thing and unplug the wires and you will be ok,
Even more weird that a euro model doesnt have this annoying thing, but bah nevermind. I'll assume it's just a UK model thing and I'll just have to work that little bit harder to get the damn thing out. I've decided to start street tuning it now though, finally :gap:

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
its like an evil chastity belt for your ecu. they don't want you messing with it

btw you have been running all of those internal mods with no engine management? how was that working out?

·
Registered
234 Posts
I just had to pull the entire ECU and reinstall it last weekend while replacing a clutch and flywheel. The blue plug, at least on my car, goes into a blue "socket" right below it. The blue socket is inward (towards the engine) of the ECU itself but still within the black plastic ECU housing. The blue socket is also recessed, or lower down than all the other ECU plugs, but not by more than an inch or two. On my car ('00 GT-S) there was also a small round "plug" that dropped in place just forward of the blue plug (and still inside the ECU housing). I think I see this small round "plug" in your picture--the blue plug is dangling over it's wire harness.

The blue socket should be pretty obvious if it's even there. Your picture isn't at the right angle for me to tell if it's actually there or not because the plug is either in the way or the camera was too far away. But from what I can tell, it almost looks like there's some white plastic inward of the ECU that looks like it could hold the plug socket.

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
wow that was allot of an explanation for the blue plug which is just a ground connection that no it doesn't actually plug into anything except that metal plate that is attached to it

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Weird, we don't have that thing on top of the ecu here! The one on top looks like a rivet to me but It's not clear on the pix. The one on the side looks more like a screw .. Or maybe you just messed the one on top by trying to get it off!

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
btw you have been running all of those internal mods with no engine management? how was that working out?
absolutely fine, believe it or not!! stock ecu has been taking care of me very nicely so far *touches wood* but maybe that might be why the car isn't anywhere near as quick as i was hoping it would be...it feels only a little bit quicker (although miles better in the midrange) than stock, sadly. hopefully some tuning will sort that out and bring me closer to honduh ass whooping territory.

Weird, we don't have that thing on top of the ecu here! The one on top looks like a rivet to me but It's not clear on the pix. The one on the side looks more like a screw .. Or maybe you just messed the one on top by trying to get it off!
It's a pain in the ass because I have to go to a mechanic to 'borrow' his tools to simply take off three screws because my normal set of torx drivers dont fit it for some weird reason. Mieh, don't worry, i'll have it off soon and then i'll send you countless pm's with stupid questions with tuning the thing :gap:

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

Yep, I tried all the local hardware stores and none of their tools worked. It's called a 'security torx' bit, as it has a weird eye in the middle, but for some reason none of the security torx drivers would fit properly and turn the screw...

...ahem, I went to the Toyota dealer and they 'estimated' it would take an hour's work at the cost of

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I decided to get medievil on that brackets ass, seeing as I could find a 5 star security tork driver anywhere local to me.

Here is the outcome...

YAY!

Right, the PFC goes in this weekend then!!

Dan, many, Red...keep some space in your pm inbox for me pls :wiggle:

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
lol holy crap that is nuts to get that out. u sure noone had the car before you? :D only thing i can think is they were concerned about someone jacking the ecu when shipping it to the dealer or something

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
haha it's crazy but from what people tell me, all uk models seem to have this.

for the record, the torx drivers i could find were the 6-spoke ones and i needed a 5-spoke star design with the snake-eye hole for the middle. I'm not sure on the exact size needed though, but for me a combination of 3-8mm drill bits did the trick :chuckles:

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,635 Posts
Weird.... that isn't even shown as a part.... even when I look up your VIN...

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, that's weird ^^^ ...esp when my local toyota dealer knew something about it being there after I asked to borrow their special tool (to which they said no, as I might run off with it :roll:) just to undo 3 screws...

But yeah no, any other gts owner i've spoken to in this country seems to have this thing too, so i guess it really is a pain just for us only.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts