NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh my god i am such an idiot, i was driving on the freeway today and i needed to pass this truck so i downshift to 4th and pass him then i go to put it into 5th and BAM!!!! i hit third gear! (what a dumb A$$) well i quickley through it into 6th asap, and i just drive at 60 in 6th scared that my motor is pretty much a goner, well i made it home ok i did not here not strange noises from the engine and a couple of times i barely hit lift just to see if i would hear any strange noises, well i was going approx 85-90 in 4th then i put it in 3rd so from what u can imagine the rpms shot up to the 9000 mark. man im scared that my engine is gonna fail on me, please anyone that knows more about this or has done somthing like this please please respond to this thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
90mph is just out of third gear, so the revs wouldn't have gone far past the limiter. And 85mph in 3rd is below the limiter (except '02)

Do you know what rpm you were at in 4th before attempting the upshift?

Hopefully, everything is alright. :)

·
Registered
528 Posts
if u heard a "bam, boom, bang" or anything, more than likely u blew something or snapped something....u prolly didnt blow the engine right away like i did, but give it some more miles and your engine will fail on u....it will eventually blow.....your best bet is to reset the ecu to cover the high rpm's and take it in to the dealer and tell them that u dont know wtf happened to your car and tell them that it is not running properly...trust me, toyota is NOT happy to cover this error....dont get me wrong, they might cover it, but they may give u hell for it.....as with my situation right now, they are unwilling to cover it because the belt flew off and the engine burnt to a crisp....they gave me one engine free already and they are not willing to cover this under warranty although it falls under warranty...play your cards right....hopefully they will cover it since they have been covering everyone else's engines....it will fall under "goodwill" warranty

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im am so pissed at this damn thing i swear once this this gets resolved im never going past 80mph again. i just hope everything turns out good, either they replace it or that they find out that it is ok.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok so i took my car into toyota right now and they are going to run a compression check to verify that my engine is ok. so hopefully everything turns out for the good.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no they want to charge me? should i not let them? btw they said the compression was fine, so when i drive around ill look to see if my tranny runs fine!

·
Registered
718 Posts
You should be fine, I can get up to about 91-93MPH in 3rd Gear before cut-off, if you did overrev it probably wasn't much maybe a couple hundred rpms.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nah man i slamed 9 grand once it hit 3rd maybe i was going faster then i thought! well anyways there was a commpression test done and it passed a ok!! so im thinking if there was damage done it was done to the clutch or the tranny either it will be fixed, if its a clutch then yay here comes the ACT clutch and fidenza flywheel! but if its the tranny that goes then im sure i will get it replaced by toyota! maybe ill get an 03 tranny! :naughty:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.