NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Runs great, i dont hear any problems with the lift bolts, when i bring it past where the secondary cam timing kicks in, I can hear the difference, and it kicks in in the same spot every time.

What are the symptoms of this problem??

Other than that I am moving from a 93 Acura Integra... I really wanted an RSX, but saw a Celica GTS in the paper so i went and drove it... and damn it was the smoothest driving thing I have ever been in. I was entertaining the idea of getting a GS-R or something, but im likin my decision. I pick it up on wednesday... funny story, the sales person had it listed as a 5 speed GTS... then when in the car i said, this is a GTS right? and he said yes, so i put the car in reverse and he said, "woah we need to back out of here, you cant be in first to do that"

Anyway, another question I have is: Is there a TRD supercharger that I can get put on without voiding the warranty like there is for the Scion Tc?

Ok with that out of the way, a little about myself. I know about cars, if i had to right now i could go tear apart my teg sitting in the driveway. I know how VTEC works... all VTEC (includes SOHC VTEC, DOHC VTEC, SOHC i-VTEC, DOHC i-VTEC, and DOHC i-VTECI [if you dont know what this is send me a message or something]). I know how the VVTL-i works too, and I have to say that was a huge selling point for me on the Celica GTS. Its only got 48k on it and I will have pictures soon enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,442 Posts
nice, wish i got the gts
its funny cuz i wasnt planning on getting a celi either
but when we got to the dealership i walked passed it
and my dad said he use to own a 1st and 3rd gen celi
and then i drove it and it was smooth and stylish and i was sold
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this might be hating on celica owners

this might strike some of you as odd, maybe even make some of you mad.. but there are a few cars that i would immediately trade a celica for if i was given the correct price:
porche, lambo, Ferrari obviously
Mint Condition ITR ALL STOCK < 40kmiles (doubtful if it even exists)
Supra with the twin turbo.. but for less than 30k

otherwise there is nothing better than this car, its amazing... its also time for me to go to sleep, work in the am
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,645 Posts
hmmm, kinda arrogant..

nonetheless, welcome
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
243 Posts
SlamminS85 said:
this might strike some of you as odd, maybe even make some of you mad.. but there are a few cars that i would immediately trade a celica for if i was given the correct price:
porche, lambo, Ferrari obviously
Mint Condition ITR ALL STOCK < 40kmiles (doubtful if it even exists)
Supra with the twin turbo.. but for less than 30k

otherwise there is nothing better than this car, its amazing... its also time for me to go to sleep, work in the am
That post doesnt even make sense, all of those cars arent even in the celicas class (excluding the itr). So more than likely anyone would want to trade up for a higher class car. Not too sure what you were trying to get at with this post... :wtf: and you didnt make me mad, just confused about what your trying to say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
SlamminS85 said:
this might strike some of you as odd, maybe even make some of you mad.. but there are a few cars that i would immediately trade a celica for if i was given the correct price:
porche, lambo, Ferrari obviously
Mint Condition ITR ALL STOCK < 40kmiles (doubtful if it even exists)
Supra with the twin turbo.. but for less than 30k

otherwise there is nothing better than this car, its amazing... its also time for me to go to sleep, work in the am
Thats not even right to say, those cars are in a like a super car group (not so much the supra, but it can be made superior, and a celica is under a sports car. thats a big leap to go from.
 

·
get that motabs going!
Joined
·
18,289 Posts
Congrats on the GT-s pick up man. Welcome to the family of gt-s!! I almost got an RSX also but Im glad I didnt because the shifting in the RSX sucks in my opinion and plus I like how the celica looks. I think the handling of the gt-s is way better than the rsx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Congratulations on joiing the owners of the best cars around. LOL I have had mine and it just grows on me everyday. Welcome and enjoy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
celica_2 said:
That post doesnt even make sense, all of those cars arent even in the celicas class (excluding the itr). So more than likely anyone would want to trade up for a higher class car. Not too sure what you were trying to get at with this post... :wtf: and you didnt make me mad, just confused about what your trying to say.
What i was saying was basically this is where the Celica stands as far as I am concerned... yeah its not a race car like a freakin Lambo, but im saying i dont see myself getting another car untill something comes out better than it.. or i can afford a Lambo or something... the ITR is close, hand assembled, impossible to find, i sure as hell wouldnt use it as a Daily Driver... anyway im tired im going to bed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
if you know how i-vtec and vvlt-i works, then why didn't you get the rsx-s? To be honest, since it looks like you are getting a celica for the performance, you should have gotten the rsx-s. The celica just has too many problems, especially the stupid tranny's. Syncros suck, shift gate is small causing many mis-shifts. There is also a lack of aftermarket support. Honestly if i went back to the day i was deciding on whether to get a celica or a rsx, i would have gotten the rsx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
the problem was that there are not many RSX-S that were in my price range and had less than 130,000 miles on it

the DOHC i-VTEC is timed more aggressively, ill agree, and an RSX-S was my dream car, but not for double what i have now, it was mainly economics

as far as this tranny goes, mis-shifts are not too big a problem, it will just take some getting used to, i did not know about the lift bolts however, but i can fix that if it breaks, the thing that i liekd best about the RSX was the smoothness of the clutch, the RSX and the GSR that i drove were all much longer pedals and were really touchy, i can let the clutch halfway out on the GTS and stay still on a hill and not kill the car, its nice... the one thing i dont understand is why the gearing is so short, the 6th gear should be much longer so i can cruse at 2000 rpm and potentially hit 150mph, but whatever
 

·
get that motabs going!
Joined
·
18,289 Posts
SlamminS85 said:
the problem was that there are not many RSX-S that were in my price range and had less than 130,000 miles on it

the DOHC i-VTEC is timed more aggressively, ill agree, and an RSX-S was my dream car, but not for double what i have now, it was mainly economics

as far as this tranny goes, mis-shifts are not too big a problem, it will just take some getting used to, i did not know about the lift bolts however, but i can fix that if it breaks, the thing that i liekd best about the RSX was the smoothness of the clutch, the RSX and the GSR that i drove were all much longer pedals and were really touchy, i can let the clutch halfway out on the GTS and stay still on a hill and not kill the car, its nice... the one thing i dont understand is why the gearing is so short, the 6th gear should be much longer so i can cruse at 2000 rpm and potentially hit 150mph, but whatever

If you like the RSX so much, you should trade your car in for it. I know a lot of small dealership places that have a low mileage RSX-s and a great price for it too. Most of the places are asian owned places though around my area. I dont know where you located but around my area, there's so many hondas and acuras that the RSX just blends in with the masses and people dont look at a fixed up one that much but when they see a fixed up celica, it's more eye catching.

btw my gearing is pretty long. I always cruised at 2000 rpm in 6th gear. :shrugs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nah, just bought this TODAY, so i think im good, there were some things i didnt like abou tthe RSX too, the newer style tails i didnt like, i just like the body of the celica more, which is why i got it, im contradicting myself now, but whatever, RSX was out of my grasp, and i wouldnt settle for a certain RSX, it wouldhave to be exactly what i wanted
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,002 Posts
Congrats on your Celica! Its nice to know a someone turned down a Honda for a Toyota! Welcome to the forums!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,818 Posts
the tranny doesn't need to get used to, the shift gates are so small that you could carelessly misshift. I was already used to the shfiting in my car when i misshifted, so are all the other members on here that misshift their celicas. I was just simply trying to downshift into 4th and i accidentally put it in second, it felt like 4th and i was pretty sure i was in 4th, but i still went in second.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
SlamminS85 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by celica_2
That post doesnt even make sense, all of those cars arent even in the celicas class (excluding the itr). So more than likely anyone would want to trade up for a higher class car. Not too sure what you were trying to get at with this post... and you didnt make me mad, just confused about what your trying to say.



What i was saying was basically this is where the Celica stands as far as I am concerned
Hmmmm...Well I'm glad you put the Celica next to those cars... You do know it's a 4cyl right?? Are you on drugs...?
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top