NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone ,im thinking about getting hid bulbs installed but have a few questions ,does anyone here have any problems with your hid bulbs bursting or dieing out after serveral months?whats the average life on those bulbs?and also whats the difference between bulbs which cost 19.99 to 89.99 ?im talking about the bulbs which come in a package which is at walmart,and car shops.the watts differ from somewere between 45 to 130 watts .i ask the shop owner and the guy was no help at all .he say just buy the one with the 45 watts which cost 19.99, and will not explain .so i left the store ,to take my business elsewere.i told him i wanted the brightest ones so i wanted to know why is other bulbs 135 watts for 50.00 to 89.00 .he didnt say why others cost more.so what im looking for is the brightest blushish bulbs that i can buy for around 20.00 to 50.00.i wonder if anyone on this board might have some similar bulbs .if so what do you think about them?any pro and cons?......thanks for any help that you can provide.

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
hid's will outlast the life of you car if you instal them right and dont touch the bulb.
im running a group buy on 4100k, 5000k, and 6000k phillips bulbs and ballast in the group buy section.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
i do believe he's referring to the Fake-ID bulb (fake HID) aka superwhite or xenon bulbs.

Stock wattage is 55 watts (I think... its been so long since Ive had halogen i forgot the stock wattage hahah) so stick to bulbs around that wattage, or you risk damaging your car's electrical system.

The more expensive ones should be better quality since they are from Japan (such as PIAA or Raybrig), whereas the cheaper ones are either US made or Korean made. Both imitate HID by giving you the blue/superwhite look, and both reduce your output over stock bulbs. But the color given off vary. The cheaper ones will look blue and fake, usually more blue than you'd want. The more expensive ones are usually not as blue, more white, purplish, etc.

Then again, I could be all wrong. Ive only had the cheaper bulbs before for my old car, and ive only seen PIAAs on other peoples. I say get the cheapest one since its not worth it to spend lots of money on bulbs that reduce your nighttime vision!

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for all the help ,it really answers my questions .but what do you think about the piaa,s or the raybrig ,are they decent looking ?and how much do they cost around ?oh and when you say it reduces vision ,do you mean that its not as bright as the orginal stock bulbs? i thought that these bulbs was suppose to be brighter for vison and looks.thanks again bro.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
whats the difference between xenon super white and plasma white ?is one brighter than another?thanks for any help....

·
Registered
6,754 Posts
most of the bulb are coated abd reduce vision compaired to stock.
you can get piaa's but they cost a lot and they wont last you a year(from what ive heard). i saw keep it stock and dont waste your money on something that shoots out a blue beam(less visability) or get the real deal Hid.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is the real hids a lot brighter?because if i buy the cheap bulbs and end up changing them when they go out ,it will end up costing me the same price ..how about the real hids ?if the bulbs never go out then it will be worth it on the long haul.......please let me know.thanks.also how much does the real hids cost?????

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
you can get REAL HIDs from www.liteswap.com for $430... and there is a sale for the celicas going on now too, which will drop the price even more.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cool site thanks,just wondering if it says for off road use only,does that mean it is not legal ?how about maryland or washington dc?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts