NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found the time today to pull out my whole exhaust and take out the cat and the stock silencer. Before i did it, ran the car without the axle back, i.e. no resonator and muffler. it sounds MEAN! my bros friends were in the house and they came out wondering what that sound was. IT IS LOUD AND DEEP! I think every GTS owner should at least unbolt it just for fun and see how its like. Im glad it did. I didnt get to do a test run since there were cars parked behind me. It would be too scared anyways, just revving it was insane, and i only took it to 4k. Imgaine lift! Anyways, the exhaust is back on now, and at idle, the air flowing out of the muffler is 5x more than what it was stock w/ the HKS. It much louder and still has that deep tone. Im happy i did this instead of gutting the resonator. Bad side: No cat, so you can smell the exhuast gas alot.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
will find out tomorrow, it was too late. Anyways, since when does performance decrease when you remove the cat? it does restrict alot of air flow. The honeycombs in there were like 2mm in thickness

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
TRDAzNSpEeDeR said:
Im happy i did this instead of gutting the resonator.
Euh ... you actually removed the front res too ..

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
danGTS said:
Euh ... you actually removed the front res too ..
why is that bad? i kept the 2nd resonator tho

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
TRDAzNSpEeDeR said:
will find out tomorrow, it was too late. Anyways, since when does performance decrease when you remove the cat? it does restrict alot of air flow. The honeycombs in there were like 2mm in thickness
It doesn't decrease, I was curious how much it increased...

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so everyone on the fourm here that has gone catless kept the resonator or something? then whats the point of getting like the kazuma, since thats pretty much a stright pipe from the headers all the way to the back.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
I've gone with high-flow cat... and no resonator.... which is similar to Kazuma..
Kazuma is welded on right after the cat.....

·
Registered
597 Posts
i would like to hear this, i bet it sounds ricey..whos ugly feet r those in the pictures...

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
TRDAzNSpEeDeR said:
why is that bad? i kept the 2nd resonator tho
Well, it is not that bad! It is just that you said you kept the resonator. I now understand you meant the rear exhaust. It depends of the exhaust you have of course. I have removed the front res only and this made it significantly louder and ricey with my blitz. The loudness was not a problem but the bad sound was! With my custom tanabe, it wasnt that raspy but very loud. So , in one sentence, my comment was more on the fact that you claim a sound increase by going catless .. which is caused MAINLY by the front res removed ..

I'd like to go catless too but that's gonna be with a race header hopefully ... One front res, no cat + my custom axel back tanabe tuner medailon would probably (and I hope it will) make it bad ass .. No front res would make it too crazy for everyday driving!

Thats with my setup, if the front res removed sound good to your taste with your exhaust, then, it is good for you!

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
youre right, i put back on the front res and it sound is better lol. But one question i have is when i didnt have that front res on, the air flow coming out was alot and violent. Now that i had the res back on, the flow is less. When i look at the res, its just a pipe straight through with holes. The holes only take out the sound but the velocity of the gases too?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SlicKcEliGTS said:
i would like to hear this, i bet it sounds ricey..whos ugly feet r those in the pictures...
bum, they are your feet. Sell out, go back to you sk2i fourms. One day ill go turbo and well see how much s2k is better than the celi....lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts