NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Super Moderator
46,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A Well-Balanced Sports Machine with that Familiar Mugen Touch
FULL STORY
To Honda Enthusiasts Worldwide, The Name Mugen Stands For Racing And Tuning Excellence. More than 30 years ago, the company started tinkering with Honda's dirt bikes, converting them from excellent off-road machines into high-horsepower monsters.

Mugen soon found its way into cars and motorsports, ultimately competing on the grandest stage of all: Formula One. Mugen-powered cars have taken the checkered flag in F1, the 24 Hours of Le Mans and many other world-famous races. The company also specializes in tuning Honda road cars, making its engineering expertise available to Honda enthusiasts worldwide.

Unfortunately, the last few years have not been kind. Embroiled in a public financial scandal, Mugen lost much of its mojo and was on the brink of shutting down. Now there's a new company, M-TEC, with the right to use the Mugen name, which is based in the same site and employs the same workforce. And its latest creation is the Mugen S2000.

Despite all the legal wranglings, the basic tuning philosophy of improving Honda cars in every way to achieve their highest potential has remained. Therefore, you'll rarely find any Mugen-tuned car with ungodly amounts of power or unsightly body kits. What you get is a well-balanced, subtly aggressive sports car that's rewarding to drive and will keep pace with rides costing thousands more. This new S2000 is no different.

Since last fall, JDM Honda S2000s have been powered by the 2.2-liter F22C engine. Mugen engineers didn't tamper too much with the 242bhp engine itself. They just tuned it slightly and bolted on a new exhaust manifold that's about nine pounds lighter, with much less flow restriction. The new design is claimed to result in a boost of around 5-horsepower. Coupled to this is a new sports exhaust that gives a mean-yet-melodic growl, especially under load.

Opening the hood reveals a huge carbon fiber air intake that improves breathing and adds to the F22C's unique sound. You can hear the difference as soon as you punch the 'Engine Start' button. The in-line four wails its spine-tingling song, begging you to throw the shifter into first gear and floor the accelerator (Mugen wisely left the S2000's wonderful gearbox alone). Once the rear tires gain traction, the car demonstrates low- and mid-range punch that's frustratingly absent in the standard version, snapping your head back during first-to-second and second-to-third gear shifts.

While the Mugen S2000 is an absolute delight to drive, it isn't much to look at. A new lightweight carbon-fiber vented hood makes it immediately distinguishable from the stock car, but it does little to improve the styling. Some might even say it looks worse. At least the rear wing is attractive.

A custom Mugen hardtop and front bumper are also available, giving the car a racier appearance (sadly, they were not fitted to our test car). We did like the gun-metal colored GP 17-inch aluminum wheels and the two-tone bucket seats which are surprisingly comfortable and very supportive.

The Mugen S2000 is a testament to the company's high level of engineering. After a day of driving, it's safe to say Mugen is back on the sports car tuning map. Long may the legend continue.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
My friend has that hood. It's very nice

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
I LOVE that color
ugly hood
ugly wing
waste of time/$ for the carbon fiber intake - just get a CAI - works better
finally, dual exhaust over singles? save weight! c'mon! no need for twins on a 4 banger

·
Registered
521 Posts
Alotta s2k guys dislike CAI, as they've not been very effective with the s2000, but i love the car looks great,Also 70mm single exhaust FTW.

·
NO ONE SLEEP IN TOKYO!!!!
15,579 Posts
Nasty_impulse said:
Alotta s2k guys dislike CAI, as they've not been very effective with the s2000, but i love the car looks great,Also 70mm single exhaust FTW.
its true you don't get a TON of gains from a CAI because the honda engineers left so little on the table when they built the car - however, its a better option than $700 for the mugen carbon fiber airbox

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yea, I've looked at like j's intakes for my s2k and it doesn't seem worth it to buy a $1k+ intake.Personally I'm going with a good header , and 70mm exhaust as my first mods and if I go anymore extensive I plan to keep It NA as I'm not worried about having to put down serious power.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Saturn Sky?

·
Super Moderator
46,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Honda S2000 CR

FULL STORY
Every special edition needs to look unique, so the S2000 CR has a bunch of dress up features that distinguish it. The most obvious is the Apex Blue paint, which is a pearlescent bright blue evocative of Audi’s Sprint Blue. Black badges and gunmetal gray five-spoke wheels round out the exterior mods. Abundant yellow stitching on the doors, steering wheel, seats, and shifter (which has shorter throws than the already insanely short ones in the regular S2000) complements yellow woven seat inserts. Faux-suede seat bolsters and door panels replace the leather items on the regular S2000 in the name of grip, and they’ll also broaden the S2000 CR’s appeal to PETA members. Faux carbon fiber trim is a slavishly trendy addition, but we can forgive anything in a car this raw.
Pricing

The S2000 CR goes on sale in the fall of 2007 as a 2008 model. The car shown at the New York show isn’t 100 percent production correct, but the body kit, spoiler, and wheels are accurate renditions of what you’ll see in dealers. Pricing isn’t confirmed, but it will certainly be more than the regular S2000’s $35k base price and probably less than $40k. Given the expected production volume of less than 2000 units (no limit was confirmed), Honda will lose money on the deal, a fact that company representatives actually admit. Such corporate honesty is rare, but Honda can afford it. The S2000 CR is a fitting tribute to the man who put “Honda” and “performance” together in the popular lexicon. Let’s hope it’s a harbinger of more great things to come and not a last hurrah.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Because there wasn't an aftermarket to do this for you anyway?

·
Premium Member
7,520 Posts
RE070s come on STis. They're ok, not that great. That article would have you think they were vulcanized by god himself.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
What the hell is the point of the CR? Honda admits to taking a loss in the limited production. Such a weak showing.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts