NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone!
After many years in a Neon, I find myself with an 02 Celica GT in my garage.
Mark Hirt and Mike Lillijord (and all that are national level autocrossers, of course) can you guys clue me in on the hot set up for G Stock?
The main concerns are:
Alignment- how much negative camber front and rear?(and how is the negative camber achieved,ie crash bolts,etc) How much toe front and rear? (I hear that you guys run toe"in" in the rear)
Brakes- what is the hot pad?
Tires- What size? (has anyone tried a larger tire in front than in the rear?)
Wheels- what are the lightest with the correct offset (what is the offset anyway?)
Harness- does a Schroth harness work in these?
Exhaust- what gives the most HP and sounds the coolest?
***STRUTS- Dollars are no object here, ONLY the best will do!
Air filter- supposing K&N here.
Plugs and wires-which are best?

Thank you in advance!
Mark Darby
#33 G Stock
02 Celica GT

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey Mark:

Here is mix of what most people run, most of which I don't do. ;)

Alignment: Front, anywhere from -1.5 to -2.2, accomplished with crash bolts; toe 1/16" to 1/8" out. Rear, -1 to -1.8, toe 0" to 1/8" in. Everyone is a little different.

Brakes: I run stock pads. Never felt the need for more.

Tires: Most common is a 225/45-15 Hoosier. Some run Kumhos- anything from a 205/50 Victoracer to 225/45-15 Yechstas (Brian Priebe has been sort of successful on them), to the latest and greatest 710.

Wheels: Rota Slipstreams, but these will need spacers I think. Stock offset is 39mm. I have a set of BBS's with a 33mm offset.

Harness: I've never found the need. The stock seats are really good.

Exhaust: From what I've heard on dyno run results, off the shelf cat-back systems don't offer anymore power than stock, but do give some weight savings by getting rid of the huge stock muffler. Some cars have run a straight pipe with a Supertrapp end, with careful disc tuning to get the right backpressure. I still run the stock set-up, since I don't think I'm giving up anything power-wise, and that muffler weight is down low in line with the rear axle, so it is in a good location for "ballast".

Struts: Definitely Koni DA's on the rear, and either DA's or revalved fronts. A DA front is a rather spendy piece as it is a 100% fabricated piece. Going with Doubles all around would probably be about $2500 these days.

Plugs/wires/air filter: Plugs are iridium-unobtanium or something. Mine are original. There are no wires - coil on plug ignition. I just run a stock filter-frequently changed. I've stayed away from K&N's since they have been know to grease up Mass Airflow Sensors, at least on Fords.

The above bits and pieces should net you a car capable of winning Nationals.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
What Rob said plus the link to the "Alignment bolt" secion of the service manual.

Click Here

Harness: While I agree the seats are great I still use a 6 point Simpson (photo here). The harness is clipped into the rear seat belt buckle like this

note: Good to finally see you in a good car :)

Edit: I'd still like to know just how the V710 meets the availability rule in 13.3

Tirerack states I can get the 205/50-15 on 9/15. Glad I have Hoosiers for the 14th :)

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
205 50 15 = truck tires!
It will be interesting to see if RC is on 710s by nationals.
At least K has been an equal opportunity non-supplier so far...
They announced that for the first time this year their tire truck will service other brands as well, probably because they'd sit there doing nothing otherwise unless you want to buy a "new" set of Victorracers...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Right on Mark!
Hope to see you at some upcoming events.
Celi's are starting to bloom on the west coast too!

Pretty much what was said above +:

Straight pipe for events with no sound limits.

710's all the way around for dry events.
They fit the 6.5" rims perfectly and we can run low pressures.
Look at wwscc site to see how the Kumho/Hoosier thing goes around here. I think you know the drivers and tire choices pretty well up here.

Tried a K/N air filter but car ran oddly so went back to stock.

Synthetic oil. Currently Royal Purple.

Stock pads on brakes.(they are awesome stock)

Various wheel choices..Rota's are cheap and somewhat lightweight.

Cool graphics...

Spandex shorts. OH WAIT! U already have those!

Seriously, we are on our 8th? alignment and I can give you some of our experiences with various setups.

Go get 2 of the "3 dot" bolts for the front at the dealer for $20 or whatever it is, get an alignment(email me personally for more info) and put some tires on there and even with the stock shocks(as long as they are low miles), the car is pretty fast.

I think that you would have a shot at top pax in your local region at an event with that set up if you drove REALLY well and it was a good course for the Celi.

Shocks/exhaust etc is just going to make the car faster from there.

FM

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
setup is pretty easy compared to most, driving is where the difference lies.
Celica = easy to make the car fast
Mini = easy to make the driver fast
YMMV

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Rob,Mark,Mike and pitcrew for the help! Its gonna be fun getting this car up to speed. I cant wait to autocross her!

Mark Darby
#33 G Stock

·
Registered
389 Posts
I am looking forward to seeing you at Packwood then!

For everyone else, we got this new site that is INCREDIBLE.
Pits are even covered! LOL!
Used to be a log processing center way out in the woods.

First event is going to be right after we get back from Nats.

FM

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys!
I know that everyone is at the Nats, but where are you guys getting your Rota's? Let me know when you get back and good luck to all.
Mark Darby
#33 G Stock

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Our friendly Discount Tire store orders them for us.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like Rota won't be producing any of our bolt pattern for a month and a half.
Great job to all who went to Nats! Great job Mikey!

Mark Darby
#33 G Stock

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
GH Sharp dynoed his then new GT with the stock exhaust, the TRD and Borla cat-backs. IIRC correctly there was a nearly equal ~3 hp gain with both the cat-backs over the OEM muffler. Nowhere near the advertising claims. Biggest gain from removing the OEM muffler is the 20-30# weight reduction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Kenny!
Long time no talk! Great job on the first day of Nats this year! There is a guy that moved to Oregon from your neck of the woods,his name is Van Havig and I always ask him if he has talked to you!
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OH Yeah!
What is everyone doing for the front sway bar?
Mark Darby
#33 G Stock

·
Registered
389 Posts
#1: Mark, where were you this weekend???!!!
New site is AWESOME! Beautiful asphalt and pits that are inside.
Little bit nervous since site is near the base of Mt. St. Helens which had earthquakes all weekend. They say it is getting ready to erupt.

#2: sway bar is stock on our(really Shelbi's) Celi.
I will work this winter on some kind of way to allow less/smaller of a sway bar(adjustable end links to lengthen bar or have a new bar made?)I do not know yet. This will be installed with some high end double adjustable front shock TBD this winter.
I want to work towards reducing wheelspin in turning/accelerating situations.

FM

1 - 18 of 18 Posts